Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Peter Leven...

"Nottingham Forest are preparing a £1m bid for MK Dons midfielder Peter Leven. (Daily Star)"

Yikes, looks like this ex Killie freebie we were "linked" to a couple of years back will be joining the likes of Thierry Henry, Hermann Hreidarsson, Jurgen Klinsman and Ferrie Bodde as "one that got away"...

Guest ally s

"Nottingham Forest are preparing a £1m bid for MK Dons midfielder Peter Leven. (Daily Star)"

Yikes, looks like this ex Killie freebie we were "linked" to a couple of years back will be joining the likes of Thierry Henry, Hermann Hreidarsson, Jurgen Klinsman and Ferrie Bodde as "one that got away"...

I wouldn't class him as "one that got away" tbh, he was hell bent on a move down south for personal reasons after he left Killie.

I wouldn't class him as "one that got away" tbh, he was hell bent on a move down south for personal reasons after he left Killie.

It another example of the silly money paid down south. As he plays in what, quite frankly, is a shit league down there he becomes worth a lot of money. He was an averagely decent player but not a million pound signing imo.

When were we linked with Thierry Henry and Hermann Hreidarsson?  ???

Hreidarsson was at Pittodrie for a trial in 1997. We offered him a derisory contract; he told us to stuff it and went back home. Crystal Palace then became interested and offered him a deal which we could almost certainly have matched back then (think Hignett), if we'd had the foresight to realise he would have become the kind of player who would one day command a £4m transfer fee.

The Thierry Henry story is the same old nugget that gets trotted out once every few years about how AS Monaco were pimping Henry and Trezeguet around Europe as youngsters. The story goes that the pair of them were available for £500k, but Alex Miller decided they would never amount to anything and weren't worth the outlay. Very little substance to the story, of course, even if the Alex Miller claim is entirely believable.

Hreidarsson was at Pittodrie for a trial in 1997. We offered him a derisory contract; he told us to stuff it and went back home. Crystal Palace then became interested and offered him a deal which we could almost certainly have matched back then (think Hignett), if we'd had the foresight to realise he would have become the kind of player who would one day command a £4m transfer fee.

The Thierry Henry story is the same old nugget that gets trotted out once every few years about how AS Monaco were pimping Henry and Trezeguet around Europe as youngsters. The story goes that the pair of them were available for £500k, but Alex Miller decided they would never amount to anything and weren't worth the outlay. Very little substance to the story, of course, even if the Alex Miller claim is entirely believable.

Under his stewardship I suspect he might have been right.

You forgot about Patrick Kluivert!!

Speaking of ones who got away, Robert Fleck (was that his name?) who refused to sign cause we offered crap wages, his flatmate was my Taxi driver in Holland  :thumbsup:

Robert Fik? Think it was his wife who vetoed the deal as she couldn't stand the way Aberdeen looked.

Robert Fleck was a permed, mulleted Hun wank striker from the 80s; uncle of current Hun wank-protege striker, John Fleck.

As with most dyed-in-the-wool Huns, he had the kind of smug, perma-cunt, 'awrightbigmanmoanraglesgaraynjurs' face a good claw hammer would never tire of kissing:

_44398799_robert_fleck_220sns.jpg

Speaking of ones who got away, Robert Fleck (was that his name?) who refused to sign cause we offered crap wages, his flatmate was my Taxi driver in Holland  :thumbsup:

How about David Ginolla few years back, had fallen out with manager at Spurs, all but agreed short term loan spell at Aberdeen, but wife wouldn't move north.

Some folk still believe we almost signed Gabriel Batistuta.

The auld stand-free.co.uk site reported that we'd signed a keeper from Oldham called Hugh Oakes.

Funnily enough, both of these signing rumours occurred on 1st April of their respective years.

The Batistuta one took place in August. I remember because I was on holiday when I saw it. That was back when we all used to chat on the forum at afc.co.uk (now sadly defunct) and one guy who logged in was inadvertently logged in as AFC Admin and decided to have a bit of fun.

Guest ally s

Incorrect.  We were linked with him prior to the start of last season when he was effectively a free agent. As I already said he had his heart set on a move down south so signed for Chesterfield on a free.

• 15 years later...

Really think we need him to be part of set up next season to help manager who is new Scottish football. That said if his family are still down south you can see the attraction for him.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DantheDon said:

I always thought the talk was that Leven didn’t want to be a manager. Wouldn’t be great from a continuity perspective. 

He has said in time he would like to be his own man.

I don't think this is the right move for him however and think it would benefit him to stay where he is for at least a season learning under Thelin

3 hours ago, BigAl said:

Incredibly this is the most recent thread with his name in the title 

Hopefully this is a crock of shite and given the source it potentially is, but this is something I think we could do without

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/peter-leven-barnsley-next-manager-32653435

Would he be that big a loss? 

Would he be any bigger loss than Barry Robson was to the coaching team?

He's done okay for an inexperienced manager. He still takes his share of the blame for whatever the players were being coached all season. 

2 minutes ago, Panda said:

Would he be that big a loss? 

Would he be any bigger loss than Barry Robson was to the coaching team?

He's done okay for an inexperienced manager. He still takes his share of the blame for whatever the players were being coached all season. 

Think as Dan said, it would be good for continuity and bedding in the new management team. He also has the benefit of not being tarnished by negativity as Robson now does. Be an interesting move for him if he does take it.

5 hours ago, BigAl said:

Incredibly this is the most recent thread with his name in the title 

Hopefully this is a crock of shite and given the source it potentially is, but this is something I think we could do without

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/peter-leven-barnsley-next-manager-32653435

Perhaps the return of warnock needed as intern until Jimmy gets here?

4 hours ago, manc_don said:

Think as Dan said, it would be good for continuity and bedding in the new management team. He also has the benefit of not being tarnished by negativity as Robson now does. Be an interesting move for him if he does take it.

Well, I dunno about that. I think we're allowing the draw with Celtic to gloss over the previous weeks, namely dour 0-0 draws with Dundee & Livi.

He gets a bit of a free pass as they aren't his players, but the problems this season have extended beyond Robson.

• Like 1