Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Todays fitba

13 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

People online saying it’s great for Scottish football. Rangers and Celtic just get wealthier and the gap widens. How does that help our league exactly? They’ll both get millions this year and the rest get…..

I was hoping that they got humped last night but I really doubt whether them winning makes any difference at all to our league.

Looking back to when Rangers were spending mega money, they splashed cash on Kanchelskis and the like in 1998/99 and the difference between first and third in the league that season was 20 points. The following season that gap was 36 points.  That really was at the height of when the Old Firm were spending and everyone else was absolutely skint and not only were the OF spending, they were actually buying really good players, guys who were in Holland's first eleven not second rate players.

In comparison, two years ago the gap between first and third was 39 points and 32 points last season which is without Champions League money.  Even with Champions League money, the OF are never going to be buying dutch internationals again, they will still be shopping in the second tier so I doubt whether it will make any difference at all.

8 hours ago, BigAl said:

Fuck the co-efficent shite the Weegie media are going to be spewing out in the coming days and weeks.

This is bad news guys, they probably earn £40m plus off the back of that result, whilst the other cheek do likewise 

Remind me how this aids the standard of domestic Scottish football for the rest of us ?

The only benefit for the rest is in a reduced number of qualifying rounds to get into the league stage of the europa/conference league for those that finish in the euro places.  Look at hearts this season compared to what we had to go through in prior seasons.  1 qualifier and even if the lose they make the conference league.  The money between the 2 is minimal and with gate receipts etc hearts will take in about 6 Mill from that. 

12 hours ago, BigAl said:

Fuck the co-efficent shite the Weegie media are going to be spewing out in the coming days and weeks.

This is bad news guys, they probably earn £40m plus off the back of that result, whilst the other cheek do likewise 

Remind me how this aids the standard of domestic Scottish football for the rest of us ?

This conversation got me thinking about how a non ugly sister could get into the CL.  Other than one of them having a meltdown season and a team managing to split them it would have to be by Scotland getting a 3rd CL spot.  Not likely, currently Portugal have the lowest co-efficient to have 3.  To get close to them I would guess you need at least 4 Scottish teams in Europe after Xmas a few seasons running.  I did end up on the eufa website though and this is quite interesting.  There's going to be 4 extra group stage places from 2024 onward and here's how they are going to be allocated. 

The four additional places created by the increase from 32 to 36 teams in the league phase of the UEFA Champions League will be allocated as follows:

• One place will go to the club ranked third in the championship of the association in fifth position in the UEFA national association ranking.

• One place will be awarded to a domestic champion by extending from four to five the number of clubs qualifying via the so-called “Champions Path”.

• The final two places will go to the associations with the best collective performance by their clubs in the previous season (total number of points obtained divided by the number of participating clubs). Those two associations will earn one place for the club best ranked in the domestic league behind the UEFA Champions League positions. For example, at the end of the current season the two associations adding one club to the Champions League, based on the collective performance of their clubs would be England and the Netherlands.

It would seem to me that one of those final 2 spots is not out of the question for Scotland to be awarded.  If you got 4 Scottish teams in Europe after Xmas that could well be enough to get that extra spot.  It's an ask, sure, but not an unfeasible one with the advent of the conference league. I would be surprised to see Scottish clubs manage it consistently enough to get the coefficient up but in a one off season it's doable. 

Edited by tlg1903

Classic scottish team performance by Hearts tonight.
Lots of possession in the first half with the commentators throwing out the 'its coming, you can tell its coming' cliches yet never really troubling the keeper

Second half a nieve effort to cheat the ref goes sour and the opposition take control.

It is absolutely scandalous FC Vaduz of Lichtenstein and FC Ballkani from Kosovo, Latvian outfit Skola Riga, Armenian army Pyunik, "Moldovan Men" Sheriff Tiraspol are all making European Group Stage football and us more than anybody have failed to do so on so many occasions.

Scottish clubs outside of Old Firm duo just don't have the right mentality for Europe whatsoever. 

Heart of Midlothian should feel lucky Rangers have performed so well last four years on continent and Russia teams were banned from taking part because of Putin invading Ukraine or else wouldn't have got their consolation prize for failure.  

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Victims have +20 goal difference already. Cannot see Ross surviving much longer. 

Make my day.

How long a contract is he on ?

Thank fuck he never got into Pittodrie 😉

2 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Only 9. Goal difference of -16 after 5 games. Maybe we can sell them bates??

That would increase comedy factor even more.

On 21/08/2022 at 23:22, Jute said:

Finished 4-1 to Barcelona. Very even first half but Barca ran away with it in second half. 

On to Chicago v New York now. 

Have to say Jute, I doff my cap to the amount of football you watch.  How many games a week do you reckon you go through on average? 

1 hour ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Brighton 5-2 Leicester.

Rodgers and Leicester to part by mutual consent tomorrow I suspect.

Kind of looking that way. Board have undoubtedly shafted him over the summer but there are still enough good players there to get a competitive team on the field.