Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Todays fitba

Taking a step back, I’m one who blasted mcinnes tactics for the negative sit in against Celtic and rangers. It rarely if ever worked. Goodwin tried the opposite and gets blasted, plus he went more with attack (our strength) than sit in and defend, our weakness. Was that really the wrong thing? I also didn’t see the game, only going by what I read, mainly from here. We’re far from good but it’s transition, frustrating to see the Huns lose when they blasted us, but hopefully goodwin learns from it for future league and cup games this year.

PS - I don’t care what considine does this year and moving forward. He’s not good enough for us, is slower than Stewart, and while it’s easy to comment when he does good things, he’s a very limited old man now who makes mistakes. Move on.

I think Goodwin was blasted more for not seeming to have a plan B when it became clear his approach wasn't working and we were being ripped apart.

Saints were all-out defence (and were solid at it) but in truth were lucky to win today, Sevco were camped in their half but were hugely wasteful in front of goal.

Considine was (i think) MotM today, and its always nice to see him still playing well at this level.

Edited by OxfordDon
spellig

17 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Taking a step back, I’m one who blasted mcinnes tactics for the negative sit in against Celtic and rangers. It rarely if ever worked. Goodwin tried the opposite and gets blasted, plus he went more with attack (our strength) than sit in and defend, our weakness. Was that really the wrong thing? I also didn’t see the game, only going by what I read, mainly from here. We’re far from good but it’s transition, frustrating to see the Huns lose when they blasted us, but hopefully goodwin learns from it for future league and cup games this year.

McInnes beat the Huns on several occasions. Saints regularly play a game where they sit in and catch the opponent on the break, so to do it in a game against the Hun is certainly easier for them. Goodwin has been lucky in several games already this season by playing a very attacking formation and nearly getting caught out. The fact that he thought he could continue that approach against a good team was just stupid. We gave ourselves no chance by choosing that approach, which was my only criticism. Livingston and Saints both maximised their chances of getting something and were rewarded. Goodwin's challenge should have been to find a system that was solid whilst leaving a strong threat up front (McInnes laterally just didn't bother with the latter part). Frustratingly, even Glass managed to get that balance. 

2 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

PS - I don’t care what considine does this year and moving forward. He’s not good enough for us, is slower than Stewart, and while it’s easy to comment when he does good things, he’s a very limited old man now who makes mistakes. Move on.

Considine is a better player than Stewart and definitely not slower. Goodwin definitely called that one wrong.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jute said:

Considine is a better player than Stewart and definitely not slower. Goodwin definitely called that one wrong.

And he doesn't think he's Beckenbauer.  Twice in the 2nd half Stewart ambled across to cut out a long pass and instead of passing it back to the keeper, fannied around with it, run it out the first time and lost it to the forward the second.  

• Like 1