Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Sna

mizer

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Told by people in Kilmarnock that I would never get home and I should check into a hotel.

Left kilie at 315pm and got back to the office at 440pm. Tad slower and a few muppets who dont understand the concept of 'deep slush = your brakes dont work above 15mph' but no big issues

However I appeared to be the only person driving IN to glasgow when I took the drumbrek slip road. If yer in Braehead  or partick then good luck getting on the M77 via the clyde tunnel. traffic is still queing outside the office at partick station

Told by people in Kilmarnock that I would never get home and I should check into a hotel.

Left kilie at 315pm and got back to the office at 440pm. Tad slower and a few muppets who dont understand the concept of 'deep slush = your brakes dont work above 15mph' but no big issues

However I appeared to be the only person driving IN to glasgow when I took the drumbrek slip road. If yer in Braehead  or partick then good luck getting on the M77 via the clyde tunnel. traffic is still queing outside the office at partick station

You sure showed them!

In fairness to the folk of Kilmarnock however, most of them are retards, junkies or both  ;)

You sure showed them!

Certainly did. As did several hundred other people

We also showed first bus and scotrail!

A special mention to the partick WAG whose mercedes myself and 2 other guys eventually shoved out of the ice hole she had dug for herself. After finally getting it moving she drive about 30yards and then half pulled into another iced section, got out and asked if we had somehow jammed the bits of wood we used to lever her out under her car because she was 'all over the place'. Our response of 'thats because the road is icey' wasnt taken too well

Listening to the Scottish Govts version of Chemical Ali proclaiming how wonderful the response to todays snow was got me thinking a bit.  Clearly the councils and Government haven't learnt any significant lessons from the chaos last winter but is part of the problem not the shocking transport infrastructure in Scotland.  Outside the narrow Central Belt the train network is poor to non existant, the network for cargo worse.  Resulting in increased car and worst of all lorry traffic on the roads.  Lorries especially add hugely to the congestion and delays.  On top of that we have the main motorway in the country that is two lane for most if it's length, narrows into a bottle neck at the Clyde and is actually a dual carriage-way A-road at one of it's busiest stretches.  Roads north from Glasgow have been terrible for years and even when the M80 Moodiesburn by pass is finished much of it will also be two lane.  The whole place is a fucking farce.  1000s of folk stuck on the country's main arterial route for 10hours!!!  But they all did a good job according to Snow Ali

The populace also need to take responsibility. People should have snow chains for their tyres. They're mandatory in many European countries during winter months. The government can't account for the ignorant population's lack of preparation.

Snow chains is pushing it a bit.  The roads get destroyed as it is without fucking snow chains.  Fair enough perhaps if you are up in the Highlands but you shouldn't need fucking snow chains on the M8  :hammer:

Whilst fortunate as I was today to be sent to Kilmarnock instead of Larkhall like my colleague there were a few moments I thought 'not really sure about this'

Only one of those was me losing concentration. The rest were all caused by the actions of others. The fact there was an article on the BBC newswebsite giving instructions how to drive in the snow says alot for our society. People will still carry on driving as if there is no change to the conditions then get angry when theres an accident.

The woman whose car I helped push out today just did not understand that more power when your tyres have no grip will only make the situation worse and if by chance you do suddenly get grip you will lurch out of control. Then to actually stop in another patch of black ice and suggest we had possibly damaged her car because she was sliding about is worrying.

The people who were overtaking at random intervals at speeds over 50mph through slush so deep it scraped the bottom of your car and actually tailgating those infront of them. The 10 car lengths rule that was drilled into my head only applies to certain people apparently.

And of course the classic lack of headlights (silver or grey cars still seem to be the worst offenders) in blizzard or fog.

It is genuinly scary how stupid or unaware of the consequences of their own actions people are. Always someone elses fault when they fuck things up.

Anyway the issue with the transport infrastructure is a classic example of rival politics. I genuinly believe rival parties will cancel the others policies the second they get into power just to piss them off.

The Edinburgh trams springs to mind especially because the glasgow rail connection was cancelled to help fund them and now there are even rumours they will just cancel the whole project. People can accuse me of west coast or northern bias because I dont live in the capital but I cannot see any justification for them. Edinburgh has very decent bus service and the airport is next to a fucking railway so 10million could have built a spur and a bog standard station and walkway like at Prestwick. This could also have been done at Glasgow, Aberdeen and Inverness all for less than the fucking trams. The A9, A96, M8, A82 and probably numerous other roads all need major upgrading. I think most if not all of the A9 could have been made dual carriageway for the current cost of the tram works.

Then there are the trains. The stupid single line between inverness and Pitlochry so there are only 4 trains a day from inverness to glasgow and inverness to edinburgh.

I beginning to think transport should be banned from election manifestos. it should be something that all parties just agree and can only change if everyone agrees it needs to (lack of funds etc). That way it ends scenarios like the SNP's 'edinburgh gets trams, inverness, Glasgow, Aberdeen, dundee lose their new roads, rail links etc the moment they are elected.

Blamed the weather forecasters did he not?

On the subject of tyres, my parents always get winter tyres, and that's in Holland.

I think I may need to invest in some.

The Minister did make an apology on the radio this morning but seemed to me, even at 11pm last night he had no grasp of the utter chaos and anger on the roads.

Also laughed at the Glasgow Council guy who said all main roads in the city were "black".  Well having just made it along Clarkston Rd I can categorically state the roads are in no way black and were actually better in East Kilbride which must surely be a first.

I did the same every winter when I lived in Aberdeen, put on a set of smaller wheels with narrower winter tyres to run Oct/Nov to Mar/Apr. Never had any troubles in the snow apart from dodging other dickheads on the road, usually driving a rear wheel drive car with wide summer tyres.

Some of my friends who had fancy powerful cars would tend to pick up a cheap small car for a couple of hundred quid to run over the winter. £400 for a 1.2 Clio with 6 months MOT works out cheaper than buying a set of winter tyres and saves your car getting all rusted because of the salt on the roads.

Nae just us apparently:

he extreme weather conditions have affected road links across Europe In Denmark, Northern Germany, Poland, Austria, Switzerland, and also Northern Italy.

Many roads in Austria and Germany have been closed, and passengers stranded overnight in trains in Germany.

In Poland, over 50 people have been found dead, stranded in their cars, in the open countryside, and even in city centres.

Thousands of homes in Finland and Sweden have been without power for days.

(Source: Reuters)