Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Sna

mizer

I appreciate that the snow is is worse in the central belt and that the odd road in the north east is treacherous but the businesses closing early are a fucking embarrassment. Even pubs were closing early last night ffs. There's maybe an inch or two of snow in Aberdeen.

Your missus should know what one to two inches looks like  :thumbsup:

I live south of Aberdeen and I would say it’s the worst it’s been for a few years.

300 folk still stuck on a motorway from the night before doesn’t sound like a lot of fun.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate that the snow is is worse in the central belt and that the odd road in the north east is treacherous but the businesses closing early are a fucking embarrassment. Even pubs were closing early last night ffs. There's maybe an inch or two of snow in Aberdeen.

This. I took a sicky yesterday with the bastard of all colds that had been hanging around since Sunday night, got a text this morning to not bother coming to work. Went out to W.A.N.K.S.hill tesco to stock up at lunchtime, and couldn't believe the lack of snow. Absolute joke that folk are closing for the day or making no effort to get to work.

This. I took a sicky yesterday with the bastard of all colds that had been hanging around since Sunday night, got a text this morning to not bother coming to work. Went out to W.A.N.K.S.hill tesco to stock up at lunchtime, and couldn't believe the lack of snow. Absolute joke that folk are closing for the day or making no effort to get to work.

We’ve been sent home from work in westhill early the last 2 days. Roads completely clear etc, it’s a joke.

In my day

Okay this is recent

For 10 years ( banned from having neighbours) Mrs Donsdaft and I lived in a cottage on a private estate ( ruined castle et all) some 35 miles south of Aberdeen.

We had some belters of winters

I used to get up at 5.00 and force my way through snowdrifts, over hills, down hills with narrow bridges at the bottom of them etc etc.

Only once I never made it ( despite a ridiculous effort ) and that was because the coast road and the main duel carriageway were both closed with jackknifed lorries.

Must open shop.

On a number of occasions I slept at the shop because I was never going to get back in in the morning.

Anyone needing their nosepads changing free of charge, I was there.

Fuckin wimps the lot of this namby pamby generation

Surely the joke is the opposite? The martyrs risking themselves (I ken, there's zero risk in the NE at the moment) to get to their meaningless jobs? Our absolute certainty in the importance of the work we do that a couple of days will make a massive difference. We've attached such a god-like status to work that taking a few days off is deemed ridiculous, almost treasonous. Yet most of us probably sit in bull-shite jobs that could go tomorrow with little effect on the way the world moves. We should be encouraging folk to take the time off, spend it with kids or whatever when the weather is fun (for the kids of course...) rather than sitting through hours of frightened traffic all heading in the same direction.

Fuck work, sna's ace.

Edit: that wisnae a direct response to you DD

The wife was saying that one of the people stranded on a motorway was complaining that his boss had insisted he go to Aberdeen. Social media nailed him by saying "if your boss asked you to jump off a bridge, would you?"

Let's not forget the ego in situations like this. Some/most "bosses" are arseholes, employees themselves and the thrill they get by pretending (to themselves) that they are "important" - so influential in fact that they can affect other people's lives - is a drug they can't get enough of.

It was ever thus. Give a cunt "power" and they'll use it and abuse it for their own ends, just in varying degrees and for varying effects of course.

I was one of the lucky peasants back in the day,that was up at work at 3 in the morning,before the roads were gritted,clearing snow manually from the car parks of said poovey office workers.Cant recall a day we didnt get in to work.

Those were the days      8)  (cough)

• 1 year later...
Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

bloody hell, I ken it's Billy McNeil's funeral today but hail hail in May....

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...