Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

EE: JC to stick with misfiring strike partnership

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/863837

DONS boss Jimmy Calderwood today confirmed he will stick with the misfiring strike partnership of Darren Mackie and Lee Miller.

The goal-shy duo have netted just twice this season, with only one goal coming from open play.

However, Calderwood reckons the goals will come and is set to place his faith in the partnership for Saturday’s must-win SPL clash with Hibernian.

And that would leave £75,000 signing Tommy Wright warming the bench again.

Calderwood said: “It does not bother me that Miller and Mackie have not scored many goals so far this season.

“I know the goals will come from them because they were brilliant against Celtic. And despite the 4-2 defeat against Kilmarnock in the CIS Cup they were both impressive in the first half.â€

“Miller and Mackie’s movement was great at Parkhead and they received a lot of quality balls which makes all the difference.

“They posed a real threat.

“If Aberdeen are still in this predicament in four weeks time then I might need to change things and give Tommy Wright or Chris Maguire a game.

Mackie missed a glorious chance deep into injury time at Parkhead to salvage a draw against Celtic.

But Calderwood has no doubts about the striker’s ability, and is convinced he will fully recover from that setback.

“Darren was really unlucky with that late chance against Celtic,†he said.

“He was really down after Parkhead and was gutted to have missed that chance.

“Darren is an Aberdeen supporter through and through and was hurting.

“The work Mackie does for us up-front is tremendous and he gives us options with his pace, ability and strength.

“Another strength is Darren’s courage, he does not shirk anything, and if I was a defender I would definitely not like to play against him.â€

With just one point from their opening four home league games, Calderwood realises they must break their terrible home form.

“Our home form has been very disappointing and we must turn that around now,†he said.

“The onus is on us to attack and try to win the game, and we will be going out for three points.â€

Scott Severin is set to be fit for the Hibs clash after sustaining a shin knock in the 3-2 weekend loss to Celtic.

Defender Andrew Considine will also be available after recovering from a shoulder injury.

Well I think most of us are bothered by it.

Fact he is sticking with two strikers that are struggling suggest that either whats behind them is even worse or that JC is a clown who will not admit mistakes. I will leave it to others to decide which version they think is correct.

Can I take the option of both ;)

Trying to be positive here. I think JC is just trying to give his players a little bit of confidence but 4 weeks is a bit excessive. Might have came across better if he had said something along the lines of "They are currently my top two strikers but they are running out of chances and I need to start looking at giving the other lads a game."

He's obviously happy enough with their performances and just thinks they've been unlucky with their chances.  The bit that worries me is he's giving them 4 weeks to start knocking them in.  What happens if Bebo or Wright starts banging them in for the Reserves?

I'll get it in first...JC doesn't go to reserve games ;)

I agree with you dude, i was just trying to be positive!!

He's obviously happy enough with their performances and just thinks they've been unlucky with their chances.  The bit that worries me is he's giving them 4 weeks to start knocking them in.  What happens if Bebo or Wright starts banging them in for the Reserves?

The same thing that happened when "Gie it tae Johnny, he's clean through" Stewart did the same thing.

I think its good managment to allow the misfiring strikers a chance for some confidence, but four weeks on the face of it seems a long time, however there is an international break during that period. Whether it works is another matter as I have no faith in Mackie and Miller needs to be dropper to give him a kick up his backside!

I think its good managment to allow the misfiring strikers a chance for some confidence, but four weeks on the face of it seems a long time, however there is an international break during that period. Whether it works is another matter as I have no faith in Mackie and Miller needs to be dropper to give him a kick up his backside!

Agree that they need confidence but on the flip side is being left out for two striker that couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo doing the other two lads confidence any good? How many games do they get (when they come in) to get their confidence levels up?