Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2024 transfer window

Agree with you mostly except left mid. Don’t think hoilett has the legs, and duk doesn’t have the brain. I can also see duk leaving this summer, we’ll get offers.
For the first 11 we definitely need a starting keeper, central defender (although I’m not certain ruby, Mackenzie, or Jensen should be a starter either), center mid, left mid, right mid. Wouldn’t mind seeing sokler given his chance, I think he’s more suited to Scottish football than miovski, not a knock on bojan.

that’s 4 strong quality signings needed, 5 if it’s not sokler at 9. We also need depth, as I said the other day, I can see around 10 signings this summer.

3 hours ago, Slim said:

Biggest signing of this summer will be Miovski’s new contract!

Ha, would be something. I just think of how he’d perform if he had the players around him Adam Rooney had. An in their prime hayes mcginn and McLean, he’d score a ton!

• Like 1

Possible that interest in him may have waned a bit because of our poor season,so If we could extend his contract a year or 2 (if no offers come in),then see if Jimmy can better the squad to improve him and others,good for all parties

I wonder what sort of markets we will be looking at this summer. It seems very likely to me at least a couple of the new bodies coming in will be from scandanavia.   I wonder Thelin will raid his old club 🤔

On 19/02/2024 at 07:57, RicoS321 said:

Oh, sorry, forgot to complain about the earliness of this thread appearing. Disgusting. Makes me sick.

Quite fucking right Rico.

Somewhat delayed reaction to your post but only just noticed this comment.

Even I didn't have the audacity to start it the third week in February 😉

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

I wonder what sort of markets we will be looking at this summer. It seems very likely to me at least a couple of the new bodies coming in will be from scandanavia.   I wonder Thelin will raid his old club 🤔

I've had the impression (rightly or wrongly) that clubs from a number of Scandinavian countries target players in the African continent with a view to developing and selling on at profit.

Will we see us targeting that market in the way we seem to have done with the Balkan countries ?

On 21/04/2024 at 08:51, Slim said:

Biggest signing of this summer will be Miovski’s new contract!

Tim suggested to me (and yes he was being completely serious) yesterday that in the summer they will give us Scales and £1m for Miovski and that of course we would take it.

Deluded fuckwit doesn't even come close to summing that up

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Tim suggested to me (and yes he was being completely serious) yesterday that in the summer they will give us Scales and £1m for Miovski and that of course we would take it.

Deluded fuckwit doesn't even come close to summing that up

Scales and 10 mill and I’d pay attention. FWIW, hasn’t scales been one of their better players this year? 

24 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Scales and 10 mill and I’d pay attention. FWIW, hasn’t scales been one of their better players this year? 

Apparently not according to him and comments I have read elsewhere online.

To be honest stopped paying attention to him as soon as it became clear that Roy wasn't going to sell him to us 

55 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

FWIW, hasn’t scales been one of their better players this year? 

I think their opinion on Scales has significantly changed for the worse over the last few months. I don't see him being in their starting eleven next year. The long stint in their first team will have put him beyond our means now though, which is fine - he would see us as a big step down, and will likely get a shot down South or abroad based on his initial performances.

Which brings us to our defence. Somebody like Scales would be exactly what we need. Gartenmann had a really good game at the weekend, as he's had in many of the bigger games, but he struggles against the big lad that a lot of our crappier opponents deploy. We need that physical presence that Rubezic (or someone like him) offers to compliment a guy like Gartenmann. Howwver, Rubi is right footed, and that means Gartenmann having to play on his left. Given that he's just a loanee, I'd think that keeping him on is not good business for us unfortunately. MacDonald should be backup for Rubezic, Jensen should be let go, and we go into the market for a left sided centre back to play alongside Rubi. He should be good on the ball, with a good reading of the game, to balance out Rubezic's obvious flaws.

Scales is an interesting one. Was arguably at fault for our second and third goals, but in the main I thought him and Miovski had a really good battle. That Miovski edged the battle is more down to him being a magnificent player and Aberdeen doubling up on Scales & Taylor - Miovski always had Duk or Clarkson to play off of, while Barron kept tearing forward to battle for any knockdowns.

I do think we should make another move for him. I think he might realise he'll be back up there next season. 

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Scales is an interesting one. Was arguably at fault for our second and third goals, but in the main I thought him and Miovski had a really good battle. That Miovski edged the battle is more down to him being a magnificent player and Aberdeen doubling up on Scales & Taylor - Miovski always had Duk or Clarkson to play off of, while Barron kept tearing forward to battle for any knockdowns.

I do think we should make another move for him. I think he might realise he'll be back up there next season. 

I'd be very happy with him, but I wouldn't be very happy with the inevitable months that the Tims will spend fucking us about only to tell us that he's only available for loan, one week before the window ends. The reality is that Scales will likely be backup there next season, but he won't be made aware of that in time for him to make an educated decision to join another side at the beginning of the window. It'd be far too high risk to go into another season waiting around to fill a key position, so if we've got options elsewhere, then it'd be best to pursue them. Ideally we'd be looking at someone with SPFL experience for centre half, but there's really only Findlay at Killie, who I don't think would come, or maybe Dunne that fill that criteria. Taylor at St Mirren looked excellent early season, but his form seemed to take a dip.

23 minutes ago, DantheDon said:

What’s happening with Mattie Pollock these days? Is he getting game time at Watford now?

Think like the Scales one, that's another ship that sailed last summer.

Approaching twenty first team appearances this season for Watford.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DantheDon said:

What’s happening with Mattie Pollock these days? Is he getting game time at Watford now?

As @BigAl says, he's played a few for Watford now, so he'll be looking at a higher level than us given his length of contract. 

I think we have to be going for a left sided player too, it's fairly important at the level of player we're going to be looking at. Macdonald's error at the weekend came because of him not being able to confidently stride forward on his wrong foot. We've seen Gartenmann be a little shakey when he played there too. Pollock's strong suit isn't his ability on the ball, so you'd never want to play him wrong side, similarly Rubezic. We've put our eggs in the Rubezic basket for now, I don't see us getting a similar player in on big wages. People will say that the left/right foot thing shouldn't matter in professional football, but it definitely does. It's basically giving a player a handicap unnecessarily, so you'd have to sign someone who's, say, 10% better than a natural left footer just to remain equal. We've got a blank slate to sign someone, so we can afford to be picky. I really hope we're not going with Jensen for next season.

• Like 1

I’d agree, it’s ruby that is pollock’s replacement. Don’t think ruby and pollock are our perfect partnership. I think in an ideal world we have devlin at right back, Mackenzie and Jensen to compete for left back, and ruby and one other in left central defense. A scales type but affordable, perhaps thelin has lined up the Swedish scales? Macdonald is the odd one out unfortunately but I think it’s he or ruby and ruby has the bigger upside.

id certainly take scales back, but I’d compare him to Ryan Christie. Solid loan with us, game time at Celtic as a result, and now we can’t afford him. (If we ever take a Celtic player on loan again a fee has to be agreed prior to the loan even happening.) 

id like to see us find the next Kenny McLean, Lewis Ferguson, Johnny Hayes, mcginn, shinnie etc, quality talent from the rest of the league. Plus Scottish players. Anyone rate Glenn Middleton? Armstrong from killie? Or is he the next Matty Kennedy? Baccus was linked before…

1 hour ago, Slim said:

image.thumb.png.b4365bc265e3881830351418140a52e7.pngGood indication of what we have been missing, and what we will need to prioritise next season if Barron leaves.

Yep, that's basically all it is. Very much like Shinnie, his footballing ability was limited, but his workrate and pressing were fantastic. It makes it even more unbelievable that Goodwin saw fit to play him as a holding midfielder in front of the defence when his main attribute was his coverage. The equivalent of playing Willow Flood there. You wonder how this isn't coached into more limited players more often. I'd like to think that most adult males would be capable of running long distance regularly. Imagine Polvara added fitness and mileage to his game for example? I'd love to see some stats around Miovski, this season versus last, as it's very clear he's added a mile to his game, with his workrate being a simple, yet massive, improvement. 

Edit: shoddy work from Ferguson too, always knew he was 12 yards short of being the real deal

Edited by RicoS321

Any chance of getting Mitov from St Johnstone? A year left on his contract. The keeper situation worries me, and I'd like for us to have a known quantity, and he's been very good any time I've seen him. Kicking maybe not brilliant, but not terrible either.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Any chance of getting Mitov from St Johnstone? A year left on his contract. The keeper situation worries me, and I'd like for us to have a known quantity, and he's been very good any time I've seen him. Kicking maybe not brilliant, but not terrible either.

I’d assume if we help get them relegated he’d be available!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Funny you should say that Rico, as I've been thinking for a few weeks that he could be a possible replacement for Roos.

Another possible could be the young Icelandic keeper that Elfsborg sold to Brentford for a couple of million last year. Not suggesting we sign him as  won't get him on a permanent but maybe a season long loan to give us some breathing space to secure long term replacement 

2 hours ago, BigAl said:

Funny you should say that Rico, as I've been thinking for a few weeks that he could be a possible replacement for Roos.

Another possible could be the young Icelandic keeper that Elfsborg sold to Brentford for a couple of million last year. Not suggesting we sign him as  won't get him on a permanent but maybe a season long loan to give us some breathing space to secure long term replacement 

A new keeper is a must imo, Roos is ooc at the end of the season anyway