Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer 2024 transfer window

Hoilett making noises about looking to extend his stay with us.

Got to say, I'm pretty surprised about this as thought he'd be offski for certain at the season end.

What's everybody's thought on extending his stay.

Personally wouldn't be adverse to a twelve month contract, depending upon his wage expectations, but suspect he'll probably want a two year given his age.

I think he’s a decent player who’s done ok since he came in. Im not sure how big a stumbling block the two years would be, but his wage demands might be an issue. I think we are looking for better than him long term but we have another big rebuilding job this summer so having a known quantity with bags of experience would be good.

8 hours ago, BigAl said:

Hoilett making noises about looking to extend his stay with us.

Got to say, I'm pretty surprised about this as thought he'd be offski for certain at the season end.

What's everybody's thought on extending his stay.

Personally wouldn't be adverse to a twelve month contract, depending upon his wage expectations, but suspect he'll probably want a two year given his age.

Decent guy to bring off the bench, doesn’t seem to have the legs for a full game. Limited in pace too and will he get slower? Both him and duk are good options to bring on but will either player accept that role? I’m hoping for more consistent wingers signed for next season. 

I’d be happy enough with him staying on. Done a good job so far off the bench and the experience / consistency would be a good option for a year.

as an aside. I think we should be making a play for the Phoenix keeper Alex Paulsen. Very young and has been our number 1 all season. 11 shut outs, 80% save rate, commands his box really well and can deal with crosses. Good with his feet too. Would be cheap and definitely better than Roos. He’s got a great future ahead of him and a move to Scotland would help him on his way.

• Like 1

Not convinced giving Hoillet a new contract is a good idea. He will be 34 years old by time next season starts and only going to get slower which is draw back for a winger. As Orlando said at best probably an impact sub but cannot see him accepting wages at the level of a bit part player. Would rather we spent wages elsewhere. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, manc_don said:

I’d be happy enough with him staying on. Done a good job so far off the bench and the experience / consistency would be a good option for a year.

as an aside. I think we should be making a play for the Phoenix keeper Alex Paulsen. Very young and has been our number 1 all season. 11 shut outs, 80% save rate, commands his box really well and can deal with crosses. Good with his feet too. Would be cheap and definitely better than Roos. He’s got a great future ahead of him and a move to Scotland would help him on his way.

New keeper is a must but after the McGarry experience not convinced A-League is place we should be looking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jute said:

New keeper is a must but after the McGarry experience not convinced A-League is place we should be looking. 

McGarry works well in the right situation, which we were not. He's also never one I'd have recommended from the A-league. 

I would be surprised to see Hoilett stay given Thelin's reported playing style.  33 yo's are not known for their pressing abilities after all.  

It does feel like we are in a wee bit of a limbo until Thelin comes in with the distractions of the cup semi and fear of relegation going away.  Hopefully we aren't though and Thelin will come in with a good knowledge of the squad and who he wants to bring in.  He does sound the type that will be putting in the prep work 2bf so I have some optimism the transfer window will be more focused and less scattergun than the previous summers. The only thing I think we can say for certain is we will see a few players come in from the Swedish league and the rest of Scandinavia as well perhaps. 

• Like 1

Connor Barron to Cagliari ?

Decent move for him if true but kind of disappointed he isn't hanging around for another season or so and also the fact we miss out a potentially sizeable fee.

2 hours ago, BigAl said:

Connor Barron to Cagliari ?

Decent move for him if true but kind of disappointed he isn't hanging around for another season or so and also the fact we miss out a potentially sizeable fee.

I didn’t expect him to stay given the carry on. Whether it was agent led or club, felt like bridges had been burnt so I’m glad it’s abroad. He’ll be a good player and I’m hoping he gets to realise it abroad. Stay the fuck away from the SPFL if he can, don’t want to see him lining up against us.

• Like 1

Good luck to Barron. Good player stifled for too long by Robson. 

I'd genuinely like to see us look down the leagues for talent. It's cheap and many that I've seen are every bit as capable as the current mediocrity We've brought in.

44 minutes ago, redordead said:

I'd genuinely like to see us look down the leagues for talent. It's cheap and many that I've seen are every bit as capable as the current mediocrity We've brought in.

Don't really see much lower league football, so genuinely interested in that comment.

Are there any standouts that you think we should be closely looking at ?

5 hours ago, BigAl said:

Don't really see much lower league football, so genuinely interested in that comment.

Are there any standouts that you think we should be closely looking at ?

I'd take big Nicky Jamieson at stenny over all of our centre halves. I believe he was meant to go to raith last season before their financial issues. Like a young McLeish.

There are players at all stages but a lot of good youngsters. ( Some on loan ) Who would be worth a look. Did city not sign a young guy from Albion after they were relegated last season?

No Scottish clubs mentioned.

21 hours ago, redordead said:

I made a similar comment recently, although not just lower leagues but the best of the rest, Kenny McLean, Lewis Ferguson, shinnie, Jonny Hayes etc. 

with the exception of mitov, who else is worth stealing? The killie winger Armstrong? Although he’ll prob have European football (couple of games anyway.)

2 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

I made a similar comment recently, although not just lower leagues but the best of the rest, Kenny McLean, Lewis Ferguson, shinnie, Jonny Hayes etc. 

with the exception of mitov, who else is worth stealing? The killie winger Armstrong? Although he’ll prob have European football (couple of games anyway.)

Lyall Cameron from Dundee would probably be one worth considering. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wee toon red said:

I see former St Johnstone defender Shaun Rooney is leaving Fleetwood on a free... maybe not much of a step-up from Devlin but I'd have taken him when he left Saints two years ago.

Never keen on taking defenders/keepers from teams that are getting relegated but Rooney was decent at St Johnstone.

Would think we have other priorities than right back anyways 

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, redordead said:

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Taylor made replacement if Barron goes.

Seems talented but not what I think we need. We have clarkson and McGrath who provide flair in center mid, think we need size, strength, and physicality/mobility in the middle. We are too lightweight and other than shinnie we don’t have the battling type. Hoping we add flair/creativity from a couple of new wide players.

Edited by OrlandoDon

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

He's contracted until 2026, there's no chance we're paying the money required to sign him. We could sign three players for the seven figures required. 

It seems silly to speculate on players coming in at the moment 2bh.  We have absolutely no idea what Thelin is going to make of the squad and what he feels it needs.  I would not be at all surprised if he raids his old club for a couple though. 

9 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

It seems silly to speculate on players coming in at the moment 2bh.  We have absolutely no idea what Thelin is going to make of the squad and what he feels it needs.  I would not be at all surprised if he raids his old club for a couple though. 

I think it's not speculation to say that we won't be paying the £2M plus that Killie will be expecting for a player like Watson we're he to leave in this window! I agree though, and it'll be interesting to see if Thelin gets any notion of the squad in the remaining games to identify what's missing.