Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Really need to get 3 points here or top 6 is going to be a tall order. Would help if we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot by starting a completely idiotic line-up, and i suspect we won't. They haven't won in the league since the start of December, and their only two wins since have been in the cup against lesser opposition. I'd say we should be confident, but I've no idea what to think anymore. We haven't actually beaten them at home since 2022.

Anyway, hopefully the 'Well game opened Warnock's eyes and we don't see Morris anywhere near the squad again. Clearly he knows we need width and i'd be very pleased to see the potential signing sign on. It was great to see duk back on the scoresheet, so fingers crossed, Warnock manages to reignite his career with us as I'd imagine Miovski will start to get marked out of games.

Out

Bed

Bed

Picking up the folks from the airport

1-1, Duk

Feels like we are running out of red lines that make a game a "must win".  Lose this and we are staring at our season being reduced to the meaningless purgatory that is "best of the bottom-six".

8-7 after Warnock realises at 7-0 down that Duk in goal isn't working out.

19 minutes ago, Panda said:

IMG_6753.thumb.jpeg.82e628a0a24064de74a76249ed70a1be.jpeg

Back to a more normal looking line-up. Glad to see Duk start - as much as he's criticised he provides more than Polvara, Philips or any of the other potentials to start there.

I can see duk totally effective in a salah right wing role (or left as he has been) , he has to be advanced and plenty of 1v1. Any time he comes deeper when he gets the ball it’s usually dribble and lose it. I’d say a 4-3-3 with him miovski and hoilett advanced. Think hoilett is a left winger? Time will tell!

20 minutes ago, Panda said:

IMG_6753.thumb.jpeg.82e628a0a24064de74a76249ed70a1be.jpeg

Back to a more normal looking line-up. Glad to see Duk start - as much as he's criticised he provides more than Polvara, Philips or any of the other potentials to start there.

Just back. Wasn't the worst game in the world, although completely indiscernible from Robson's tactics. Very direct and trying to catch out the opposition with quick balls over the top. Free kicks always lumped in, and long throws (after dicking about for five minutes) the norm. We played some alright football at times and it was an open game that was reasonably entertaining. McGrath was good today, Shinnie too. Defending for both goals fairly unforgivable. Roos with a honking kick, but we just let them walk straight through, we still had plenty cover. Devlin pish for the second. Duk was okay on the ball, but he's bloody frustrating. When you evaluate Mackenzie's performance, you always have to caveat with the fact he's playing behind the most unpredictable player in the league, who makes zero good runs and simply reacts to the game.

Anyway, coasting towards bottom six. I think we needed to win this one to have a chance.

Willie Miller called it a fabulous game.Incident packed maybe,absorbing,but quite a frustrating watch a lot of the time from our point of view.A bit disjointed,with not very bright individual decision making at times.As said,Duk was frustrating,needs to be more direct and cut the faff out.Might be worth persisitng with, if we allow for ring rustyness.Clarksons been a bit of a luxury the last few games,but Hoilett looked ok when he took his place.

Hoping Warnock has more up his sleeve to get more out of what we have

ps Very healthy crowd,assuming there was a kids day out thing in the RDS

Edited by Elgindon

Worth mentioning that McKenzie dribbled past more Hibs players than Duk did. He was great today.

Thought it was Clarkson’s best game in a long time too, far more effective than Barron albeit in different roles.

Hoilett looked better than expected, put in some decent crosses but doesn’t look like being able to beat a full back or use his left foot.

Forgot to mention VAR. Two games in a row completely spoiled by it. Ten minutes of stoppage time is a nonsense. We're at three minutes per offside decision now. It's completely unacceptable. 

The refereeing is definitely getting worse because of it too. The linesman flagged half heartedly for their second goal (which didn't look remotely offside), it was almost like he was trying to second guess VAR rather than thinking there was an offside. 

1 hour ago, Elgindon said:

Spoiling every single game.Better not be here next season...

That’s how I feel. I thought var was to highlight and correct clear and obvious errors yet it seems to examine to the extreme, looking for the slightest thing that nobody would catch in real time. There appeared no clear and obvious errors on the goals yet it took a fair time after every goal to get var seal of approval. Despise it more by the week. It’s not a good product and damaging the refereeing product, surely this isn’t a biased opinion??

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

When you evaluate Mackenzie's performance, you always have to caveat with the fact he's playing behind the most unpredictable player in the league

I thought that MacKenzie's performance today was even more impressive because of who was playing in front of him -  thought he was our best player.  Hoilet at least knows how to set up to defend, not like Duk who's always reacting.

• Like 1