Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

County - Dons

First game of the year and last pre winter break. Has a sense of foreboding doom about it. County got a very credible draw away to hearts although haven’t been in grey form themselves. A few postponed matches over the Christmas period means they’re as fresh as we are.

we need to win, I don’t care how we do, but we do. Do I think we will? Not sure and this has to be the end of Robson. Even if we won, I think he has to go. It’s not good enough and he’s clearly not got the know how to change it.

out

bed

bed

deck building

1-1, miovski.

Will be in the area,but game on at the wrong time for me.Our records not too bad up there,but facing a County possibly on the up,just what Robson doesnt need.Defeat surely time for managerial change.

County 1 - Dons 2 to prolong the agony  McGrath,Miovski

Been trying to work in a trip to this one but can’t swing it. Team and Robson especially cannot afford to lose this one.  Team need to win to keep us clear of bottom two and Robson I suspect needs the win to keep himself in the job. Would love to see Robson make changes to formation and line up to show he is taking on what is going wrong. Adams seems to be sorting County out. This could be a difficult game.

oot

visiting family in town

see above

train back to capital

1-1 Miovski 

Not sure what the fuck that setup is, but it does seem like a back four. Knowing Robson's inability to give up on a sitting midfielder, it'll likely be a diamond of Barron, behind McGrath, Shinnie and Polvara, with Clarkson ahead and then Miovski. A 4-1-4-1. It's fucking weird. Why not play a 4-2-3-1, with Barron sitting alongside Shinnie and Clarkson in front and then apply some width with a lamppost (or Morris, whichever is closest) and another on the left? 

There is a possibility that he puts MacKenzie in left centre half and McGrath in left back for a back five of course, but that'd be weird.

Either way, it's something different.

A back four.

Barron, Clarkson and Shinnie all in the same team.

I want to be excited, but only if Shinnie is the deepest of the trio and the plan is to pass the ball.

At least he's trying something different.

13 minutes ago, Panda said:

A back four.

Barron, Clarkson and Shinnie all in the same team.

I want to be excited, but only if Shinnie is the deepest of the trio and the plan is to pass the ball.

At least he's trying something different.

Shinnie won't be the deepest. It'll be a 4-1-4-1. I don't think you'd ever want Shinnie deepest on his own either, you really don't want him receiving the ball from the keeper looking for the quick pass, we tried that pish with Ramadani last year and that wasn't either of their games. Shinnie sitting in a two with Barron, and Clarkson in front would be great, but it won't be that either. Unless we're playing a 4-2-3-1 with those two known wingers, Polvara and McGrath out wide. It's frustrating, because you can fit Barron and Clarkson - your perfect pairing - into a 4-2-3-1 without them getting in one another's way, but the addition of Polvara and McGrath just completely congests the area, making it even more likely that they'll step on one another's toes. I really feel for Barron who's had two successive managers playing to the weakest parts of his game. It's like they're trying to hang him out to dry (or, more likely, they've got nae idea). Anyway, we've got enough to beat County regardless of the personnel, as all it takes is a bit of magic from Miovski, Clarkson, McGrath etc. It's not really a game where we can fairly judge new systems, but nevermind, at least there is one.

Good goal from McGrath. A scrappy finish but we had plenty in the box. Shinnie miles better facing the play rather than constantly playing high and chasing back. That should have been obvious to anyone watching him play football before of course.

Night and day from the other day as expected. That's what happens when you play to player's strengths rather than their weaknesses Robson. Just need him to actually stick to it and not revert back at the first opportunity, which we know he will. There was only really Polvara out of position today, but he did fine, and on a narrow pitch perhaps width wasn't necessarily required. Gartenmann on his wrong foot I suppose, but he's comfortable enough on his weak foot. Overall, we played really well, with probably McGrath, Barron and Clarkson standing out, closely followed by Shinnie and MacKenzie. Obviously, the main thing was the setup, and that setup allows us to do so much. That might be Barron's last game for us, but put Polvara in there and Duncan or Morris out wide and we've still got a strong side. Duk can come in for McGrath (although only when chasing the game due to his shoddy covering), McGrath can play where Clarkson played, Clarkson can play where Barron was, Hayes can come in for McGrath, Jensen can cover for MacKenzie or Gartenmann and so on.

It'll be a real shame if it wsa Barron's last game for us though. 

Who'd have thought it

Start Polvara and Barron, play Clarkson further forward and see what happens

Fancy that eh ?

Might I have said it weeks ago.

As Rico states above, Robson just don't revert back to type anytime soon.

Haven't given up all hope that Barron might extend contract even if it is only for twelve months.

22 minutes ago, dons8321 said:

That's a bit insulting, mate...lampposts are useful for pedestrians, dogs.

Ach come on now, his comment was  trying to shed some light and is clearly not worthy of receiving any pish 😉

Didn’t see the game, in the Bahamas for a little break! I fully understand Robson sticking with 3 at the back until November,  giving the summer signings a chance to gel before making changes, but I suppose he stuck with it until the end of Europe. But now he has to make change, couple of games now where we’re clearly better with a back 4. Losing Barron is a loss but we still have to sign a center mid regardless, and we have depth there. As pointed out, we had center mids wide in polvara and McGrath, hopefully we sign a left and right mid this window and kick on in January.

12 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Didn’t see the game, in the Bahamas for a little break! I fully understand Robson sticking with 3 at the back until November,  giving the summer signings a chance to gel before making changes, but I suppose he stuck with it until the end of Europe. But now he has to make change, couple of games now where we’re clearly better with a back 4. Losing Barron is a loss but we still have to sign a center mid regardless, and we have depth there. As pointed out, we had center mids wide in polvara and McGrath, hopefully we sign a left and right mid this window and kick on in January.

Call yourself a Don 😂

Holidaying in Bahamas as opposed to watching us away to The Staggies

Fucking shocking min.

• Like 1