Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Nicholson, Miller, Aluko & Walker - all leaving

Jimmy ready to splash the cash

Published: 15/04/2008

ABERDEEN have given manager Jimmy Calderwood clearance to splash the cash as he rebuilds his beleaguered squad.

The Dons boss admitted he will be allowed to pay transfer fees for players if it’s the only way he can bring them to Pittodrie.

Calderwood still won’t have fortunes to spend, but says being able to offer fees will help as he attempts to add more quality to his squad.

“You can’t keep pulling rabbits out of the hat,†said Calderwood, who is determined to ride the storm of criticism coming his way in the wake of their Scottish Cup defeat at the hands of Queen of the South.

He said: “Scott Severin, Jamie Smith and Lee Miller were taken in on free transfers, but it’s getting more and more difficult to get international players in that way.â€

Calderwood refused to identify specific targets at this stage, although he said his search has gone “world wide.â€

The Dons boss also confirmed football director Willie Miller’s statement in yesterday’s Evening Express that he will be making up to eight new signings to totally revamp his squad.

“The way things are shaping up it looks as if we will be taking eight in,†he said.

“I’m getting phone calls every day, from all over the world, telling me top players would be happy to come to Aberdeen.

“We are still an attractive club to play for but it always comes down to finance because quality costs money.

“The transfer money from the sale of Michael Hart and Chris Clark is there. They were only allowed to go because I knew the money would go right back into helping to get other players in over the summer.â€

It now looks certain four of those will be direct replacements for Barry Nicholson, Lee Miller and loan stars Sone Aluko and Josh Walker.

Calderwood fears their cup exit – and failure to qualify for Europe – has killed off any chance of Nicholson or Miller signing new deals.

He also confirmed Aluko and Walker, who played for the youth team against Celtic last night, are on their way back to England.

Calderwood said: “You’ve got to be realistic and accept it looks as if we are going to lose Barry and Lee

“I was trying to remain optimistic, but that was knocked out of me by last Saturday’s result.

“If we had won at Hampden and made it back into Europe then it might have edged their decisions our way.

“But that’s no to be, so I’m worried about how talks with them in the coming days will go.

“The other two look as if they will be away as well.

“Birmingham want Sone back, which is a shame because he has done well for us.

“Middlesbrough also want Josh to be playing every week, but I can’t guarantee that.

“We’ve been out and about in England looking to secure other good young players on loan though.

“We will get replacements.â€

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different day, same shit... just come out and confirm what is happening instead of regurgitating it day after day after day >:(

And P.S Mr Calderwood, if you had your optimism knocked out of you last Sat, try imagining how some of us feel :

wonder who'll take Miller - doubt he'll get a move to england with his poor goal scoring record... and in Scotland who could afford his wages? Very much doubt united or hearts will take him back!!

I think Hibs would be the only club that would take him, and I think he would probably fit in well there.

I think Hibs would be the only club that would take him, and I think he would probably fit in well there.

He probably would fit in well alongside Colin Pish as a replacement for Madrid bound Fletcher.

He wouldnt get the ball fired at his head constantly and he would get a lot more goals down there.

Guest bloo_toon_red

I doubt Hibs would meet his wage demands.  I'm pretty certain he'd be their highest paid player by quite some distance.

Guest bloo_toon_red

How much is he on with us, I knew it was high but what im picking up it ridiculously high

Depending on who you believe, it's supposed to be between £3k and £3.5k a week.

Hibs wouldn't give Thomson or Brown more than £1.5k a week.  I doubt many of their players would be on any more than £2k.

No real shocking revelation there, been nailed on that Miller and Nicholson would be off. Nicholson in particular has been trying to play it by saying that he hasn't mad up his mind etc. He has been offski all season and has been playing as if in he was in the shop window, if he came out and just said then I would actually have a bit of respect for him. 

What I would love to see in the last few games of league would be us playing a team with players that are definitely going to be here next season. Get Touzani and A.Nother in midfield,  play JDV and give Zander the captaincy.

Guest bloo_toon_red

If thats the case why cant we get some of them up here.

Well, before Collins left Hibs, Dean Shiels had been told he could leave on account of Collins not fancying him much, Calderwood was interested, but in came Paatelainen and told Shiels he was going nowhere.

There is no way Aluko will get a regular game in the Premiership (if Birmingham stay up) and I think it would be better for all concerned if he had another season at Pittodrie.

Walker won't be that much of a loss.

Good luck to Nicholson, he's been a consistent SPL performer for years and deserves a crack at something new.

Miller should stay.  I think he was lucky to get a move to the Dons in the first place and Calderwood has shown remarkable patience in keeping him in the team despite some terrible performances.  He's looking more like a player now, and it's time for him to repay that loyalty.

How much is he on with us, I knew it was high but what im picking up it ridiculously high

We took over his Dundee Utd shortly after Eddie Thompson slagged the hell out of him in one of the sunday papers for not putting in nearly enough effort for his 4 grand a week.

I don't know if he meant that as an exact figure or was rounded up to make it sound more dramatic, but that's the closest thing we've got to any sort of fact on the matter.

Miller obviously has ideas way above his own station.  Even if he does land another club down south, I really doubt he's going to set the heather alight.  If that's the case then he's going to struggle to get a gig back up here in Scotland having failed twice in England and having been round half the SPL.

What I can't fathom is that JC says that 'Boro want Walker playing each week but he can't play him alongside Nicholson as they both like to get forward.  So if Nicholson is leaving does that not mean Walker has a spot to walk into?  ???

Miller obviously has ideas way above his own station.  Even if he does land another club down south, I really doubt he's going to set the heather alight.  If that's the case then he's going to struggle to get a gig back up here in Scotland having failed twice in England and having been round half the SPL.

What I can't fathom is that JC says that 'Boro want Walker playing each week but he can't play him alongside Nicholson as they both like to get forward.  So if Nicholson is leaving does that not mean Walker has a spot to walk into?  ???

Was he not saying he cant play alongside Seve because he and Seve are the same kind of player?

Guest bloo_toon_red

Even better then.

Dump Seve.

I've made my feelings on Captain Lethargic perfectly clear.

I wouldn't be against him being reunited with his former manager for example.  At least we'd get a transfer fee.

Different day, same shit... just come out and confirm what is happening instead of regurgitating it day after day after day >:(

I suspect that you realise this, but every day the illiterate fools at the EE/P&J will ask the same questions and Jimmy will give the same answers until the players finally decide. But I hope that Miller and Nicholson at least decide this week.