Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Coronavirus

BigAl

50k+ infections per day at the moment, which likely means significantly higher. Where do we go now with this? Lockdown until February, but what then? We're not getting out of this anytime soon. There's no mechanism I can see that will get infections low enough to contain with our world beating...etc. 

I think we'll get to a certain point in the vaccine program, and from that point (say, over seventies and the most vulnerable done*) the government will declare that the rate of infection, based on the science (astrology), is now low enough for restrictions to be lifted. After a few weeks, things will get out of control again, but it will be allowed to run through the population herd immunity style (whilst blaming the public). It'll then move into line with the seasonal flu and be treated thus. Vaccines will continue, but will not be largely ignored - like the flu jab - by swathes of the population who've already had covid anyway.

I think it'll be brutal. It already is. I don't believe that with the new variant we allowed to develop (made in the UK!) there is a mechanism to open society for business without the infection rate soaring in a short space of time. I don't see anyway possible for me to get the vaccine before I get covid (I'm low risk, I'm not worried for myself, but definitely for family and friends). Anyone else think differently, or can see a solution?

*Vaccinated, nae deid.

5 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

50k+ infections per day at the moment, which likely means significantly higher. Where do we go now with this? Lockdown until February, but what then? We're not getting out of this anytime soon. There's no mechanism I can see that will get infections low enough to contain with our world beating...etc. 

I think we'll get to a certain point in the vaccine program, and from that point (say, over seventies and the most vulnerable done*) the government will declare that the rate of infection, based on the science (astrology), is now low enough for restrictions to be lifted. After a few weeks, things will get out of control again, but it will be allowed to run through the population herd immunity style (whilst blaming the public). It'll then move into line with the seasonal flu and be treated thus. Vaccines will continue, but will not be largely ignored - like the flu jab - by swathes of the population who've already had covid anyway.

I think it'll be brutal. It already is. I don't believe that with the new variant we allowed to develop (made in the UK!) there is a mechanism to open society for business without the infection rate soaring in a short space of time. I don't see anyway possible for me to get the vaccine before I get covid (I'm low risk, I'm not worried for myself, but definitely for family and friends). Anyone else think differently, or can see a solution?

*Vaccinated, nae deid.

I think the alarming thing is the sudden rise in infection in countries where they were actually obeying social distancing rules like France and Germany. Suggests the current 2m distancing (Boris’ 1m was always a joke) is no longer enough to provide a buffer from the spread of the new strains of the virus. This will mean that vaccination is the only way out of this now. From couple of pieces on the news the new variant seems to be making a lot more younger people seriously ill this time so the number of age groups you need to get vaccinated will now be higher if you are looking to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed when you open up society. I cannot see us being back to normalish until this time next year.

Id say its more like 5 years if at all.
Mother Nature playing a blinder with this one. Everyone was scared of ebola but a highly infectious virus that kills pretty much 99% of its victims in a matter of days is actually easier to control - When there is little you can do to treat/cure, you locate the source, put all victims into quarantine and effectively sacrifice them. When the virus has nowhere to go, the strain dies out.

A slow burning sleeper cell which picks and chooses who and how badly to infect in a fairly random pattern is a real test of the human race to see if we can reasses our priorities and stop being such cunts to the all the other living things on the planet.

ive no idea if I fall into any special category although this year is the first time ive ever been offered a standard flue jab so using the vaccine queue thing I supposedly might get it sometime in february but who knows. If true I can't honestly say I think I should be given priority over anyone else and sometimes wonder if its even worth getting given how shit the world is.

10 hours ago, tom_widdows said:

Id say its more like 5 years if at all.
Mother Nature playing a blinder with this one. Everyone was scared of ebola but a highly infectious virus that kills pretty much 99% of its victims in a matter of days is actually easier to control - When there is little you can do to treat/cure, you locate the source, put all victims into quarantine and effectively sacrifice them. When the virus has nowhere to go, the strain dies out.

A slow burning sleeper cell which picks and chooses who and how badly to infect in a fairly random pattern is a real test of the human race to see if we can reasses our priorities and stop being such cunts to the all the other living things on the planet.

ive no idea if I fall into any special category although this year is the first time ive ever been offered a standard flue jab so using the vaccine queue thing I supposedly might get it sometime in february but who knows. If true I can't honestly say I think I should be given priority over anyone else and sometimes wonder if its even worth getting given how shit the world is.

As long as we've still got Curtis Main banging them in, there's still hope.

Get yer vitamin d down you in the meantime. Deficiency is a big factor in this. Not that you'd know given it's barely mentioned. I think five years is probably a realistic timeline to get a handle on the virus down to "acceptable" seasonal flu levels. Just in time for the next swine flu.

So it appears the UK government are now not looking to have 24hr tests because 'there isnt a demand' for appointments after 8pm

Am I the only one who sees this as another example of 'blame the public' for government incompetence and dare i say it 'LIES about how many actual doses they have managed to get, or how many doctors/ nurses etc are still actually fit to work?
I seriously doubt its 'lack of clamour' as if its tickets for a Lloyd webber show, its more along the lines of a 12pm sunday kick off at hampden for any team north of Motherwell ie they can't fucking well get to the vaccination centres.

If they want to get 70% of the population vaccinated before next Christmas give the 8am - 8pm daytime appointments to the 70+ age groups who may have to rely on public transport or family members to drive them, and then open up the 8pm - 8am for everyone else.
Its not fucking rocket science. Ill happily take a 3am appointment in Wick. Fairly sure my elderly parents will take a 4am appointment too

Edited by tom_widdows

38 minutes ago, tom_widdows said:

So it appears the UK government are now not looking to have 24hr tests because 'there isnt a demand' for appointments after 8pm

Am I the only one who sees this as another example of 'blame the public' for government incompetence and dare i say it 'LIES about how many actual doses they have managed to get, or how many doctors/ nurses etc are still actually fit to work?
I seriously doubt its 'lack of clamour' as if its tickets for a Lloyd webber show, its more along the lines of a 12pm sunday kick off at hampden for any team north of Motherwell ie they can't fucking well get to the vaccination centres.

If they want to get 70% of the population vaccinated before next Christmas give the 8am - 8pm daytime appointments to the 70+ age groups who may have to rely on public transport or family members to drive them, and then open up the 8pm - 8am for everyone else.
Its not fucking rocket science. Ill happily take a 3am appointment in Wick. Fairly sure my elderly parents will take a 4am appointment too

I haven't read about this, are you talking about tests or vaccination? Obviously a vaccination requires a professional, a test you can do yourself. I really don't want NHS (or other) workers working through the night, especially with the number of people working from home now, who probably have a little more flexibility of their working hours. You might take an appointment at 3am, but in order for that appointment to exist, someone has to be working at that time. I don't think that's what we should be aiming for, even in pandemic times. The government are still dicks though, just for clarity.

35 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I haven't read about this, are you talking about tests or vaccination? Obviously a vaccination requires a professional, a test you can do yourself. I really don't want NHS (or other) workers working through the night, especially with the number of people working from home now, who probably have a little more flexibility of their working hours. You might take an appointment at 3am, but in order for that appointment to exist, someone has to be working at that time. I don't think that's what we should be aiming for, even in pandemic times. The government are still dicks though, just for clarity.

Sure i heard today that volunteers were being used in the vaccination programme,though not sure in what capacity,but in relation to volunteers the NHS mentioned this  - "Your local NHS trust will be in contact when the need for additional vaccinators arise"

so,assume they can be trained?.If weve got 700'000 folks who volunteered at the start of covid,and the quantitys of vaccine available,surely we could ramp up the vax numbers

11 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Sure i heard today that volunteers were being used in the vaccination programme,though not sure in what capacity,but in relation to volunteers the NHS mentioned this  - "Your local NHS trust will be in contact when the need for additional vaccinators arise"

so,assume they can be trained?.If weve got 700'000 folks who volunteered at the start of covid,and the quantitys of vaccine available,surely we could ramp up the vax numbers

Think they have volunteers are doing things like admin tasks at vaccination centres or driving folk to them rather than vaccinations themselves.

Israel have been doing 150,000 vaccinations a day by having centres open 24 hours a day. Think to hit the levels we are looking at we will need to do something similar. 

40 minutes ago, tom_widdows said:

Article is here.

Think it only covers Englandshire so remains to see how quick Scotland gets on with things.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/11/downing-street-rules-out-24-hour-covid-vaccination-centres

Interesting. I don't think it seems unreasonable. I doubt many would want a middle of the night trip in cold, dark winter. I certainly don't think we should be relying on it. I'd have thought the major issue identified there was distance people were travelling. What I think will be more of an issue is that the government will have outsourced the work to some two-bit shitehouse, newly formed company who will make a cunt of it. The UK has an experienced team of flu shot givers who do these things every year and likely a significant bank of volunteers who have been involved in that in prior years. You can just imagine them being sidelined by a Serco type company because it'll be more profitable to bus in some cheap labour from somewhere.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, scotfree said:

I got my second jag yesterday. Feeling a bit shitty today, but I hear that happens with the Pfizer one on the second jag. 

Aye, that's the mind control element seeping in. On August 29th, you'll become part of the machine.

I just saw on the TV that only 8% of Australians have had both jags. Australia has done well in keeping the virus out as there have only been 30,000 cases and 910 deaths. But with the Delta variant hitting the shores here now and such a low vaccination rate I can see big problems happening here soon.

3 hours ago, scotfree said:

I just saw on the TV that only 8% of Australians have had both jags. Australia has done well in keeping the virus out as there have only been 30,000 cases and 910 deaths. But with the Delta variant hitting the shores here now and such a low vaccination rate I can see big problems happening here soon.

Morrison has failed miserably with all this.

However like every country there are liars, system cheaters and fuckwits who don't give a fuck about others.

And why are Scottish supporters being targeted by the press when you see almost full Wimbledon crowds and 40,000 odd at Wembley matches as examples?

Fuck the BBC.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/07/2021 at 09:04, scotfree said:

Only 15% of Australians now had their second jag... 

9 hours ago, scotfree said:

Only 15% of Australians now had their second jag... 

What's the view of the UK approach from your neck of the woods? Any suggestions that they're playing with fire and risking people in the rest of the world, or is it not getting much airtime?

Nobody cares much about the uk as far as I have spoken with ozzies.

It's about Oz numbers and lockdowns here and a general world thing and how good they've been.

I think plenty governments have failed their citizens.

Why the fuck are ALL airline staff not vaccinated.

They're the ones bringing it into countries with passengers.

Bojo ofc is an utter contemptible baboon who I despise.

That prick has zero conscience.

On 23/07/2021 at 20:02, RicoS321 said:

What's the view of the UK approach from your neck of the woods? Any suggestions that they're playing with fire and risking people in the rest of the world, or is it not getting much airtime?

Certainly most folk here think the UK are on a suicide run. Whilst our vaccination progress has been slow (due to unavailability and sticking with Pfeizer) most people think that our govt have taken the right approach. No one I know envies the UK right now.

It's also worth noting that whilst Ozzie have lockdowns at the mo, Sydney's premier is the least sensible of the lot so it's hardly surprising they're fucked.

On 23/07/2021 at 18:02, RicoS321 said:

HaarDon and Manic have pretty much nailed it on the head. I think a lot of Australians have had the mind set that what has happened in the UK could never happen here. But with this new Delta variant now spreading around the southern states I think many here will be in for a big shock. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, manc_don said:

Certainly most folk here think the UK are on a suicide run. Whilst our vaccination progress has been slow (due to unavailability and sticking with Pfeizer) most people think that our govt have taken the right approach. No one I know envies the UK right now.

It's also worth noting that whilst Ozzie have lockdowns at the mo, Sydney's premier is the least sensible of the lot so it's hardly surprising they're fucked.

I have to say that the Queensland premier has been really good. She's not been scared to put the state into lock down and we have had (so far...) low numbers of infection. Dan Andrews in Victoria has done well considering he was really unwell for a while. I would like to see him as PM one day. 

• Like 2