Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Europa League SECOND round

I’m sitting today debating whether to sort work in a way that will let me attend on Thursday. I want to go but there’s a massive part of me telling me that this game is tight and we won’t have a go at them. It’s got 1-0 via penalty written all over it. Any thoughts ? Does anyone think that DMC will play a team similar to first leg vs ROPs or has that ship sailed with ojo and Bryson now in the squad.

I know, I’m a bad fan, but I’m also busy as hell and don’t want to work around a game that I suspect could frustrate me for the next week.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ojo and Bryson weren't signed to be squad players. If they're fit they'll start so obviously the team who played the RoPS first leg won't be the one that starts on Thursday. Foreby that, Devlin is out anyway (as is his understudy Taylor). We really need Leigh to be fit or else we are struggling......Consi can't fill in at both left back and centre half simultaneously. Hedges didn't look comfortable (or as if he was particularly enjoying it) at left wing back and the other option of moving Shay to left back and playing Gallagher at right back didn't look great either. I wonder if we might just go 3 at the back if Leigh isn't fit?

Taking that option, with 5 in the middle would allow us to play 2 up top. Cosgrove just looks crap playing alone up front. His best form last season was when he had May up front supporting him. Again though, who should that be? DM seems to prefer Wilson playing out wide but Main to me is far too similar in style to make playing him alongside Cosgrove work. McGinn maybe??

I expect us to progress in the end but don't expect it to be particularly pretty. Right now we just cannot seem to keep clean sheets for whatever reason.......not having a settled backline cannot help of course. I'm going to say 3-1 but with our last goal coming fairly late on and with us nervously hoping until that point they don't make it 2-2

We’ve had a week to prepare for this game. Gallagher has played right back before so a week of training with the back four should be appropriate, obviously Shay on the left and Andy in the middle. Mcginn and hedges wide and I’d have Wright ahead of Ojo and Ferguson, Cosgrove up top. Thought Bryson looked really unfit, and when we moved Gallagher to right back in the first leg we missed his energy in the middle. Wright should provide that (even Stevie May!)

Wary of running Bryson and Leigh and prolonging injuries.

I say 2-1 us. 2 up and cruising then lose a dodgy goal and nervous until the end.

We’ve had a week to prepare for this game. Gallagher has played right back before so a week of training with the back four should be appropriate, obviously Shay on the left and Andy in the middle. Mcginn and hedges wide and I’d have Wright ahead of Ojo and Ferguson, Cosgrove up top. Thought Bryson looked really unfit, and when we moved Gallagher to right back in the first leg we missed his energy in the middle. Wright should provide that (even Stevie May!)

Wary of running Bryson and Leigh and prolonging injuries.

I say 2-1 us. 2 up and cruising then lose a dodgy goal and nervous until the end.

Are mcginn and hedges automatic choices?  Seems so but I’m not sure that they have proven themselves ahead of Mclennan and Wright this season and I’d like to see the latter two given a fair crack. If I had a pound for every ball mcginn has put over the top of the box this season already, I’d be watching Thursday for free.

Are mcginn and hedges automatic choices?  Seems so but I’m not sure that they have proven themselves ahead of Mclennan and Wright this season and I’d like to see the latter two given a fair crack. If I had a pound for every ball mcginn has put over the top of the box this season already, I’d be watching Thursday for free.

Hedges is certainly an automatic pick for the time being anyway. He's looked good in flashes when running at defenders. 2 of our competitive games have been away from home and in one he was forced into playing left wing back for a fair chunk of the game and didn't look comfortable but hopefully it won't happen again. His direct competitor for a place in the side would seem to be McLennan and he (as far as I'm aware) is still injured.

McGinn was our best player at Pittodrie against RoPS. Again, he hasn't looked great in the 2 away games but our playing style is different in those games and of course, injury to Taylor early on against Chikhura forced formation changes that had not been planned for. He's certainly ahead of Wright in the pecking order. If there is a place in the team where Wright MIGHT be able to force his way in it's in place of Gallagher, but with Taylor and Devlin out for sure and Leigh doubtful, forced formation changes make it doubtful he will.

At present I'd say yes to McGinn and Hedges being first choice but McGinn had a pretty gash year last year. I'd like both these two pushed for playing time by Wright and McLennan, even Gallagher, over the course of the season. Add to that Wilson so I think we have pretty healthy competition for the wide positions.

Hedges is certainly an automatic pick for the time being anyway. He's looked good in flashes when running at defenders. 2 of our competitive games have been away from home and in one he was forced into playing left wing back for a fair chunk of the game and didn't look comfortable but hopefully it won't happen again. His direct competitor for a place in the side would seem to be McLennan and he (as far as I'm aware) is still injured.

McGinn was our best player at Pittodrie against RoPS. Again, he hasn't looked great in the 2 away games but our playing style is different in those games and of course, injury to Taylor early on against Chikhura forced formation changes that had not been planned for. He's certainly ahead of Wright in the pecking order. If there is a place in the team where Wright MIGHT be able to force his way in it's in place of Gallagher, but with Taylor and Devlin out for sure and Leigh doubtful, forced formation changes make it doubtful he will.

Whilst McGinn scored a good goal in that game I think the set up of the team afforded him a lot of space to play in. Truth is that with all that possession, he failed to deliver good balls every time he sailed past his man. I thought that wright and Gallagher in the middle gave us real energy and movement allowing the wide men to play.  I also think that we won't see this midfield again and that's a real shame. Genuinely the best I've seen us in a long time playing proper football albeit against weak opposition.  #endhoofball

Forgive me, Redordead. I'm nae sure how many games you go to or see but this comment suggests to me that it's maybe not many? I've unbolded Hedges because I'm not sure about him but the other 3 I am. McGinn has looked more like the MccGinn of old so far this season whilst Wright has continuously flattered to deceive. As has McLennan although I believe an injury has hampered his preseason also. I hope they improve but I believe they have been given a decent amount of game time and they've failed to take their chances so far. 

think we should get through this concern is lack of defensive cover, Gallagher isnt a fb... find it incredible that we appear to have no one in development squad able to play cb or lb

I suppose McKenna was the break through at centre half. Last season was the first time in years we didn't have a reasonably settled defence for the entire season so guys like Rose (looks a decent player), Harrington, Harvie etc were just allowed to leave after loan spells as there wasn't ever likely to be the opportunity for them. Defence is always a difficult one, as nobody ever likes to unsettle the defence by giving a youngster some game time (instead of Logan for 20 minutes for example) in the same way that you can afford that time to a winger or midfielder. Also, you generally need to make attacking changes rather than defensive ones so you're really just holding out for an injury. Shame, as I'd like to see us bring through a young fullback (McKenna being still a fairly recent youth success in the middle) as it's been a long time since we've had one. They all seem to be very young in our youth team though, which I suppose makes sense if we've ditched a few recently. I think that fullback is a lot more physical these days for a younger loon too, as you have to get up and doon like a fucker or be aggressive with the attacker in the case of Considine. A difficult role.

Miko Virtanen has apparently done extremely well since being moved to RB. Logan is ageing and I reckon if he's injured/suspended this season, Virtanen might be given the nod to replace him. I suppose though, as he was an Everton Youth Player first, he's not our own product. But at the end of the day, if he's good enough, then he's good enough. He has a decent physique and is technically sound, I think he may be the next to be exposed to some first team minutes this season.

Miko Virtanen has apparently done extremely well since being moved to RB. Logan is ageing and I reckon if he's injured/suspended this season, Virtanen might be given the nod to replace him. I suppose though, as he was an Everton Youth Player first, he's not our own product. But at the end of the day, if he's good enough, then he's good enough. He has a decent physique and is technically sound, I think he may be the next to be exposed to some first team minutes this season.

I thought that he moved to centre mid half way through last season and was playing there now?

As the undisputed biggest superfan on this site, I think I know a little bit more about the youth team career of Miko Virtanen than you......

That clip, he talks about changing positions numerous times  :rofl:

When he first came, he started as a midfielder, last season he got moved to RB, then finished the season as a midfielder. I think Dean Campbell featuring with the first team as much let him move back into midfield, but when Campbell plays for the Youngsters, Virtanen is the RB.

Your undisputed superfan status is under threat, min.  :twisted:

I think it depends on Leigh. If he is fit then it'll be the usual 4-5-1. If he doesn't make it (or isn't risked to start) then I agree it'll be a 3-5-2. Really hoping Hedges finally catches fire and runs riot down the left. Cosgrove must eventually bury a couple of crosses.

However on the downside....we still have it in us to lose stupid goals and I can see us doing so tonight. I'll stick with my 3-1 prediction with us getting the 3rd that finally kills the tie in the last 7 minutes or so

Going to be interesting to see how we line up tonight. I had thought we might go with Virtanen at right back and switch Logan to left back but with Virtanen playing 60 minutes for reserves against Deveronvale last night that is not looking likely. I would like to think we would be more attack minded at home against the Georgians who looked a poor side but with McInnes you never know.

In

Supporters bus up then hopefully a pint.

Y

Supporters bus back to the Capital.

2-0 McGinn and Cosgrove pen.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Some funny shite on this thread today...........Virtanen in, Ojo at centre back  :rofl:

Surely one of the wide men will be asked to play left back to minimise the amount of disruption to the team if Leigh cannot play.

I'd expect:

Lewis

Logan

McKenna

Considine

Gallagher

Hedges

Ojo

Ferguson

McGinn

Wilson

Big Sam