Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Films

manc_don

Speaking of films.. you cunts should take 8 minutes out of your day to watch Ricky Gervais' opening monologue from his hosting of the Golden Globes. Savage and unforgiving as the truth often is. A brilliant man.

I just did. Thank you for the rec. Brilliant. Anyone in the audience offended by him is an arsehole. I doubt that many were but there would've been one or two. His irreverence is wonderful and he's been VERY funny in that role.

Interesting post count RS  :wave:

Was visiting my brother over Xmas,and we stuck on a random film called 'the siege of Jadotville'. Based on a true story about an Irish contingent of UN peace keepers left to fend for themselves in the wilds of the Congo.

Great film if its anything like what they went through

Any of you see The Irishman? I thought de Niro was outstanding but there was nothing Irish about him. Scorcese tried too hard to produce an epic and it failed in my opinion. Good entertainment and worth watching but not the classic they hoped it was. The Golden Globes gave it nothing.

I watched it and the longer it went on the less interested I became. Overall I liked it but the ending was anti-climatic to put it politely.

I watched it and the longer it went on the less interested I became. Overall I liked it but the ending was anti-climatic to put it politely.

I thought the ending was deep, poignant and gave some meaning to an otherwise meaningless film.

Don't read this if you've not seen the film yet.

I thought it tried to show that crime doesn't pay and after a life of operating on the outside of the law, he was left broken and lonely. The personalisation and characterisation of gangsters was best done in the Sopranos to the extent that they all lived and breathed like real people, albeit in an underworld that the vast majority of us know exists but thankfully we don't experience directly. Despite one of the world's best actors and a massive budget, I don't think Scorsese got close to getting the audience to empathise with, far less love any of his characters in this film including de Niro. The director is yesterday's man and his final (surely?) "epic" or magnum opus was a failure.

I hadn't realised that JoJo Rabbit took so long to get released over there. Superb film!

Not just there Manc. I watched in in Melbourne last sunday and it seems to be a new release in Oz.

To compensate for whatever reason the new Shaun the Sheep movie seems to be doing the rounds in Kiwiland 3months after it was in the UK Cinemas.

Not just there Manc. I watched in in Melbourne last sunday and it seems to be a new release in Oz.

To compensate for whatever reason the new Shaun the Sheep movie seems to be doing the rounds in Kiwiland 3months after it was in the UK Cinemas.

Ha ha i'm surprised that wasn't out sooner.  Love a good sheep do the Kiwi's.

I didn't even remotely enjoy Jojo Rabbit  : I like Taika Waititi as well, I just never got into it all and actually thought it got worse as it went on.

Wtf  ;)

Well I didn't really rate 1917, the cinematography was excellent but just never got going!!

I saw A Hidden Life last night which I very much enjoyed tho a long 3 hours, the Austrian landscape was incredible.

Next up is Bombshell & David Copperfield  ;D

Catch me if you can. The 2002 version with Leo di Caprio and Hanks T.

Had never heard of it but the youngest was home for a night and we watched it. Thoroughly enjoyably excellent.

Still never seen it all the way through for reasons that I just don't remember despite thoroughly enjoying what I have seen of it. Will need to re-visit this one for sure.

Catch me if you can. The 2002 version with Leo di Caprio and Hanks T.

Had never heard of it but the youngest was home for a night and we watched it. Thoroughly enjoyably excellent.

It's actually one of my all time faves. I absolutely love that film.

Finally managed to watch Two Popes last night, wasn't necessarily what I expected, but I really enjoyed it. Out of interest, did Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce actually know the lines in the various languages?

We walked past Pope Francis' barbers when we were in BA. Naturally was mentioned on the free walking tour we took  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Parasite. OMFG. Just a crazy film like nothing we've seen before. Our youngest recommended it last night and was desperate to learn what we thought, texting 5 or 10 minutes before it had finished. She then asked for marks out of 10 and I said 7 or 10, still deciding. I can understand it winning the Palm D'Or but best film Oscar was surprising. It was very good and I do recommend it to others. Just go in with an open mind and you'll need to because it's going to paint some interesting new pictures on you. It hits on many different levels, some of which we don't notice until someone else tells us. Don't read critics reviews in advance. I'm pleased I didn't but will definitely seek them out now. It's wild, and very well acted.

For Sama. An incredible film, Oscar-nominated. We can be guilty of thinking that Syria is far away and forgetting about the human cost. This brings it front and centre and smacks us right in the soul. Despite the horror of reality that is in every pore of this docu-drama, it's an eerily beautiful film. Sama is a gorgeous baby, Waad the mother probably the most beautiful woman I've ever seen but the courage of them all and the work that Hamed performs in unfathomably horrific conditions is a phenomenal testament to the human spirit. You think you've got problems? Check this out. Humanity at its best and worst. Gripping, moving, tragic and beautiful all in the same 96 minutes.

For Sama. An incredible film, Oscar-nominated. We can be guilty of thinking that Syria is far away and forgetting about the human cost. This brings it front and centre and smacks us right in the soul. Despite the horror of reality that is in every pore of this docu-drama, it's an eerily beautiful film. Sama is a gorgeous baby, Waad the mother probably the most beautiful woman I've ever seen but the courage of them all and the work that Hamed performs in unfathomably horrific conditions is a phenomenal testament to the human spirit. You think you've got problems? Check this out. Humanity at its best and worst. Gripping, moving, tragic and beautiful all in the same 96 minutes.

This!

Utterly heartbreaking to watch, incredible film

• 5 months later...