Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Todays fitba

32 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Nah, watch the whole thing

pens

Definitely watch the whole thing if you can, you get a much better view of it, it's fantastically bad. You can skip the first 5-6minutes if you don't care about the other pens. It is probably the best thing I've seen all season.

Edit: it just shows though, Scotland are fairly lucky to have got through against Serbia, as Marshall was definitely off his line. Thank christ VAR wasn't on the go.

Edited by RicoS321

On 23/11/2020 at 10:56, RicoS321 said:

Definitely watch the whole thing if you can, you get a much better view of it, it's fantastically bad. You can skip the first 5-6minutes if you don't care about the other pens. It is probably the best thing I've seen all season.

Edit: it just shows though, Scotland are fairly lucky to have got through against Serbia, as Marshall was definitely off his line. Thank christ VAR wasn't on the go.

From memory VAR was in play for play offs.

3 hours ago, Jute said:

From memory VAR was in play for play offs.

It was which is why Marshall stopped to check with the Ref before the celebration

As for trying to sub during a penalty shoot out I can't say I knew if it was an official rule but in the 27+ years Ive actually followed football it was always the case that subs had to be done before the ref's final whistle hence bringing on a striker, or even subbing the keeper in In injury time (English playoff final 1996 springs to mind). I'd say there are a few MLS  Officials who might find themselves refereeing the USA equivalent of Albion Rovers vs Cowdenbeath for a few months after that episode

Edited by tom_widdows

1 hour ago, Madbadteacher said:

Apropos of the above, been watching the West Ham v Villa game this afternoon and Grealish is a nasty wee cheat of a player. Talented, but falls over very easily 

Always had that in his repertoire. Shame really as he really doesn't need to. Talented player in his own right.

10 minutes ago, Jute said:

The offside decision given that chopped off the goal was a farce. Another where it was the players upper arm that was beyond last defender. Rule really needs changed and VAR changed to only being clear and obvious errors only. 

What constitutes clear and obvious? Why is it clear and obvious when Celtic got a penalty, but not when Rangers got a penalty? What is the actual point of VAR full stop? Are there enough clear and obvious errors to merit it? How many clear and obvious errors have referees made for or against us this season? Was Ojo's "contact" against the hun enough to be a penalty, or just part of normal play? Was Considine's arm on the shoulder something that could have been proven to have occurred at every single corner in the game?

It's a ridiculously flawed product (and it is a product, let's be clear). It simply moves the point at which the decision becomes contentious from referee to video. For the number of decisions it "solves" it really isn't worth it. The entire concept is, and always has been, flawed.

In my opinion, the only decisions that VAR should be making are those that are offside and thus can be proven with absolute certainty. If the techonology can't do that quick enough, as is currently the case, then it shouldn't be used. See goalline technology for a working example.

It's simply impossible to change VAR for offside to what is clear and obvious, because again you are simply moving the point at which the decision becomes contentious. Anyone suggesting that offside - on its own - needs to be changed to being clear and obvious simply hasn't thought through how that process would occurr, and the point at which offside comes into play. Any through ball where the player is playing the line falls into the category of "requiring investigation". At the point of investigation, you can only say "yes, it was offside" or "no, it wasn't offside" - there is simply no grey area with offside. You can't say, "well, it's only his arm that is offside", or "only his leg" or whatever, without introducing some sort of consistent measure - e.g. "if there's daylight" or some pish - at which point that will become the new target for complaint.

I don't understand why people don't get it with VAR. It will never work, and the decisions for which it does work are so infrequent as to make little difference in the overall scheme of things that it can never be worthwhile. All it does is move the point of contention from the ref to the video panel. That's all it would ever do. Why did you choose to highlight point X, but not point Y? You've highlighted point X, but in slow motion it is always going to look worse. You've highlighted point Y, but you've still got it wrong because you don't understand the game. Who are these people? And so on.

Spend the money on getting better support and training to refs as well as building a bit of respect for them alongside transparency over their decisions. Or just accept that bad reffing is part of the entertainment of our sport, as it always has been, and that a fake set of refs behind a telly completely devalues that.

Fuck VAR, in short.

6 hours ago, Jute said:

St Mirren and Killie found guilty of breaches in COVID procedures and 3-0 wins awarded to Motherwell x2 and Hamilton. Moves Motherwell on to 21 points and Hamilton on to 11.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11781/12150083/coronavirus-kilmarnock-and-st-mirren-sanctioned-for-breaches-of-covid-19-protocols

Well have done pretty well out of Covid!

1 hour ago, tup1 said:

Congratulations to the Millwall supporters for booing the taking of a knee.

Hopefully other teams fans follow suit and we get rid of this political virtue signalling from football forever.

Millwall booed as they are thick racist cunts. No other reason.

Whether they are or not is irrelevant to the point.

Police violence in America, a country that doesn’t even like football, has no bearing on football in the English league. 

So they are well within their rights to boo the political virtue signalling, they’re paying for the players taking part in it.

3 hours ago, tup1 said:

Whether they are or not is irrelevant to the point.

Police violence in America, a country that doesn’t even like football, has no bearing on football in the English league. 

So they are well within their rights to boo the political virtue signalling, they’re paying for the players taking part in it.

I disagree with your first point, as it takes the beginnings of the BLM movement and suggests that those reasons are its only purpose, which isn't the case. It's about structural racism, which is a problem in the UK as well as the US. 

Similarly the notion that because somebody pays for something absolves them of responsibility for their actions is quite a horrible, but widespread, belief. 

I'm of the opinion that taking the knee is a bit like clapping the NHS or occupy. It's a nice sentiment with no end product that will eventually, quietly, fizzle out with nothing changing. I don't think we're a mature enough society to be discussing these things without recourse to labelling a racist or a virtue signaller. 

Well let me put it another way. Imagine in Scotland we had a campaign to say ‘The IRA matters’, at football matches, and everyone was expected to take a knee in support of that stance.

There would be widespread outrage. The BLM movement is no different, it’s political rubbish being forced down the throats of people who are there to watch a simple game of football.

Also makes a mockery of our stand free nonsense if our players and staff are doing it.

1 hour ago, tup1 said:

Well let me put it another way. Imagine in Scotland we had a campaign to say ‘The IRA matters’, at football matches, and everyone was expected to take a knee in support of that stance.

There would be widespread outrage. The BLM movement is no different, it’s political rubbish being forced down the throats of people who are there to watch a simple game of football.

Also makes a mockery of our stand free nonsense if our players and staff are doing it.

I always took stand free to be fact fans stood free of the bigotry associated with the old firm. So making a statement against racism is a continuation of that. 

3 hours ago, tup1 said:

Or like being told to wear a poppy, or join in a minutes' silence on remembrance day. Of course it's political. Everything is political. Why wouldn't it be? If players and managers want to make a political statement then that's up to them. Fantastic to see them getting involved and having an opinion if you ask me. As long as there is an avenue for them to opt out, that's fine. 

Stand free is just a fucking song, sung when other English teams were singing it. It gained its political mythology sometime thereafter.

Tic making heavy work of Saints.

Im past caring about this season as much like Irvine Welsh I find watching games without fans on TV really tedious so resort to checking scores and the occasional 'live text' to get my ceefax/ teletext nostalgia fix.

But when either of the OF are suffering its always a laugh.

52 minutes ago, tom_widdows said:

Tic making heavy work of Saints.

Im past caring about this season as much like Irvine Welsh I find watching games without fans on TV really tedious so resort to checking scores and the occasional 'live text' to get my ceefax/ teletext nostalgia fix.

But when either of the OF are suffering its always a laugh.

Finished 1-1. Got to assume that Lennon will be out this week if Celtic board have any real intention of getting 10 in a row. 

18 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Or like being told to wear a poppy, or join in a minutes' silence on remembrance day. Of course it's political. Everything is political. Why wouldn't it be? If players and managers want to make a political statement then that's up to them. Fantastic to see them getting involved and having an opinion if you ask me. As long as there is an avenue for them to opt out, that's fine. 

Stand free is just a fucking song, sung when other English teams were singing it. It gained its political mythology sometime thereafter.

There should be no poppies in football either, nor minutes silences for Remembrance Day. It really has nothing to do with football, if you want to pay your respects to these things, do so in your own time.

Football is not political. It's sport. People with agendas are making it political, using it as a vehicle for their sinister politics.

The BLM movement by it's very nature is racist in itself. If it were WLM it would be a very different story. I'm sick of hearing about BLM, I really couldn't care less about it when I sit down to watch a simple game of football.

Edited by tup1