Author Topic: Victim fc v Dons 09/03  (Read 1620 times)

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -157
Re: Victim fc v Dons 09/03
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2019, 09:36:34 PM »
Expectations are no predictor of outcomes and the unexpected happens often.

Leicester and the punter who backed them at 5,000/1 weren't foolish.

Who would have thought AFC would beat Bayern and Real Madrid and lift a European trophy? I bet Paul Lawrie winning the Open would've been met with similar scorn but like AFC 16 years before, he thoroughly deserved it.

It says more about the derisor than the person who dares to dream.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -157
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2019, 12:09:13 AM »
Plus, I bet Keane wasn't saying we ARE going to win the World Cup. He knew how incredibly unlikely that would've been and he would have had his own desires and expectations, with various levels of realistically coming to pass. He was simply answering a question and he answered correctly.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
  • Rating: 9
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2019, 11:33:24 AM »
There's optimism, realism and just down right foolishness.
A few years back, Alex Ferguson asked Roy Keane what his exceptions were for the world cup.  He said to win it.  Ferguson laughed at him in disbelief.
At the time, an optimistic expectation would have been Ireland getting to the last 16.  A realistic expectation would have been them getting out of the group.  A foolish expectation was the nonsense that Roy Keane answered with.

It's a good post there sheepheid.  At the start of each season we would all ultimately want our team to win the treble but that has to be tempered with a bit of realism.  I have always thought that the best manager is someone able to get the best out of the resources available to him, not necessarily the one that picks up the silverware.  As someone eluded to in another post, give McInnes the Celtic squad and £10M to spend in the summer and he would win the league next season.

The Leicester City freak show has clouded everyones views of what is realistic.  Most people will admit that it was a one off but then harp back to it when things are going poorly at their own club.

Similarly our own fans have had their views clouded with what happened during the 80s which was pretty much a freak period in our history as well.  Before that wonderful decade we were never serial winners yet there is some sort of entitlement thing amongst a section of the support who lived through the Fergie days that we're supposed to win trophies because of what happened back then.  It's the sort of thing that pisses us off about the hun supporters yet we are actually a bit the same ourselves.

Offline sheepheid

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 12
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2019, 12:35:41 PM »

Similarly our own fans have had their views clouded with what happened during the 80s which was pretty much a freak period in our history as well.  Before that wonderful decade we were never serial winners yet there is some sort of entitlement thing amongst a section of the support who lived through the Fergie days that we're supposed to win trophies because of what happened back then.  It's the sort of thing that pisses us off about the hun supporters yet we are actually a bit the same ourselves.

Agreed.
Money has changed the game and I don't see that changing in my lifetime, or for most who post on this forum.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:04:45 PM by sheepheid »

Offline tlg1903

• Captain
  • Rating: 49
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2019, 01:06:43 PM »
Wasn't just Leicester though was it (I would also add if we had won the league the same season as them in terms of resource our achievement would have been greater). In the past ten years athletico and montpellier have won their respective divisions against significantly greater resourced teams.  For afc to win the league we would need to have an almost flawless league campaign and the good fortune that celtic were having an off season.  It's not impossible, just pretty improbable.
Decided to start a football blog, feel free to have a read here.

http://foxintheboxon.blogspot.co.uk/?view=flipcard