Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Celtic v Aberdeen

Everyone is obviously scared to talk about this one!

Hard to guess how we'll set up as Barry Robson - in his two spells as caretaker boss - is yet to manage a game away from home. With him very much under the microscope from the Football Monitoring Board (🙄), does he just play it safe and try and avoid a hiding, or does he take a risk and try be adventurous knowing that a positive attacking performance would boost his case enormously. 

It'll actually be really intriguing to see and I'm looking forward to this one despite the horrible record v Celtic. Was hoping to go, but having to work now as the boss is off to Spain and we're short staffed.

I suspect we'll stick closely to the formation that started v St Mirren and Motherwell. That would mean McCrorie into a back three. Personally I'd prefer him at RWB with Mackenzie in. Can't see any other changes - Coulson a good attacking option off the bench with Hayes likely to start for experience. 

FC48B366-B2A1-435E-A54D-7D6DAD3C9970.thumb.jpeg.33b30a22ed20138d1aad1ebda32c4a0d.jpeg

Right enough, it is a two-game ban for McCrorie 🤦‍♂️

In that case then maybe Mackenzie in for Scales being the only change if Robson sticks with three at the back.

Although a back four with an extra man in midfield might not be too bad an idea. Problem is we're not blessed with natural full-backs, or at least ones able to defend.

12 minutes ago, Panda said:

Right enough, it is a two-game ban for McCrorie 🤦‍♂️

In that case then maybe Mackenzie in for Scales being the only change if Robson sticks with three at the back.

Although a back four with an extra man in midfield might not be too bad an idea. Problem is we're not blessed with natural full-backs, or at least ones able to defend.

I think he'll go with your first suggestion, with three at the back. I think we might see Coulson in for Hayes too. What are the rules regarding head knocks anyway? Motherwell made six subs, which means that Hayes must have been taken off as a concussion sub (I don't remember anyone else with a head knock). Does that result in an automatic X no of days out? Or is it just an internal club decision? Either way, I think Coulson probably offered more than Hayes at wing back. Kennedy probably justifies his place despite being a weak link. Clarkson did well in the deep role, so I expect to see that continue, and it'll be interesting to see how Ramadani copes with being asked to do more of the leg work against a decent team.

We should not need to be playing Hayes and Kennedy out of position at left and right back/wing back whatever the hell we call it nowadays.  Back in the day 🙄, you would always be giving a young lad the chance to impress if you did not have your recognised first choice player available.  Why are we not pitching in one of our youngsters at full back given that Richardson is obviously not fancied and Coulsen is away in the summer.  Not necessarily away to Celtic like but between now and the end of the season.  The season has basically finished for us anyway, give a few young lads some game time.  Surely more to gain doing that than sticking square pegs in round holes or having a team with about 5 or 6 loanees in the starting line up. 

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I think he'll go with your first suggestion, with three at the back. I think we might see Coulson in for Hayes too. What are the rules regarding head knocks anyway? Motherwell made six subs, which means that Hayes must have been taken off as a concussion sub (I don't remember anyone else with a head knock). Does that result in an automatic X no of days out? Or is it just an internal club decision? Either way, I think Coulson probably offered more than Hayes at wing back. Kennedy probably justifies his place despite being a weak link. Clarkson did well in the deep role, so I expect to see that continue, and it'll be interesting to see how Ramadani copes with being asked to do more of the leg work against a decent team.

As long as player comes through various steps of concussion protocol then he is free to play next game. As game is 14 days from injury would hope he will be fine. Not sure I would want Coulson as wing back against Celtic as he is so weak defensively. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

We should not need to be playing Hayes and Kennedy out of position at left and right back/wing back whatever the hell we call it nowadays.  Back in the day 🙄, you would always be giving a young lad the chance to impress if you did not have your recognised first choice player available.  Why are we not pitching in one of our youngsters at full back given that Richardson is obviously not fancied and Coulsen is away in the summer.  Not necessarily away to Celtic like but between now and the end of the season.  The season has basically finished for us anyway, give a few young lads some game time.  Surely more to gain doing that than sticking square pegs in round holes or having a team with about 5 or 6 loanees in the starting line up. 

Which youngsters do you have in mind?

I'm all for giving youth a chance (McInnes sacking led to Ramsay & Mackenzie being introduced) but let's not forget we're in a four-way fight to finish fourth and qualify for Europe.

2 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

It's important to differentiate between fullback and wing back though, because there's a good argument to say that neither Kennedy or Hayes are out of position when playing the latter. They are both capable of getting up and down and bring with it the diligence to do so. There's a big difference between someone being out of position and a position not being their best. It's the job of the manager to get that balance right, and he feels that the back three gives us a solid foundation, which I understand. That almost always requires wing backs, so it's then a question of who our best wing backs are, and there's a very strong argument that Hayes and Kennedy are best currently (I'd have Coulson in that role despite the risk). In terms of youngsters, Robson would certainly know if any are coming through, but Duncan would be the one that springs to mind and I don't think he has the diligence or strength to play wing back. In fact, it's a very difficult position to ask any youngster to go in and play because of the requirement to get up and down so much. In a back four, it'd be easier with McRorie assisting Duncan or whoever. We seem to be getting better results with those youngsters that have been out on loan and returning to take a place, so it's unlikely we'll see anyone new (Duncan and Barron aside) before summer.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Which youngsters do you have in mind?

I'm all for giving youth a chance (McInnes sacking led to Ramsay & Mackenzie being introduced) but let's not forget we're in a four-way fight to finish fourth and qualify for Europe.

I don't have a clue what the youth team set up is Panda but is that not supposed to be the theory as to how the system works within the club with a pathway from the bottom up towards the first team?  If you were a 17 year old centre half for example in the youth team and saw in the summer that Considine and Gallagher were both released you would be rubbing your hands thinking you would get your big chance.  Now Stewart has gone as well but we have brought in what looks like two stop gaps in Pollock and MacDonald.  That to me is a bit of a slap in the face to the youngsters hoping to make a breakthrough.  If the young guys are nowhere near good enough to get in the first team then that is a failure of the system because surely all of the 16-18 year olds should be knocking the door down to get into that first team by the time they are that age.

2 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

If you were a 17 year old centre half for example in the youth team and saw in the summer that Considine and Gallagher were both released you would be rubbing your hands thinking you would get your big chance.  Now Stewart has gone as well but we have brought in what looks like two stop gaps in Pollock and MacDonald. 

A 17 year old centre half would get ragdolled by 90% of the forwards in the Premiership. 

Jack Milne (who is a few years older at 20) is likely to be the next centre half to step up but we've sent him out on loan. He might get his chance next season.

3 minutes ago, Panda said:

A 17 year old centre half would get ragdolled by 90% of the forwards in the Premiership. 

Jack Milne (who is a few years older at 20) is likely to be the next centre half to step up but we've sent him out on loan. He might get his chance next season.

Milne being played in Midfield by Kelty. 

27 minutes ago, Panda said:

Yes, if you don't do it in the right way that may happen but get them training with the first team and introduce them gradually.  I'm not saying stick in 7 youngsters and play them for the next 15 games but the likes of Considine, Anderson and Diamond all played a good few games well before they were 20.  I'd far rather watch a team with containing two or three of our youngsters than a team with five or six of another club's players in it being equally as shite.

19 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Yes, if you don't do it in the right way that may happen but get them training with the first team and introduce them gradually.  I'm not saying stick in 7 youngsters and play them for the next 15 games but the likes of Considine, Anderson and Diamond all played a good few games well before they were 20.  I'd far rather watch a team with containing two or three of our youngsters than a team with five or six of another club's players in it being equally as shite.

They played fullback as a route in, with diamond the exception, who's development wasn't particularly well handled. A back three could allow a youngster to come in, but a four would be better. I thought it was a shame that Milne didn't get any minutes, but the brief moments I saw of him didn't fill me with confidence yet. In order to breed youngsters, it helps to have a confident and strong group round you too. In fairness, Hancock got injured too, and he might have been someone we could recall and add to the squad and give some minutes. Pollock happened to be first team ready, and that was something we absolutely needed. Our youngsters, unless exceptional, need to be brought in, in a structured manner, getting twenty minutes here and there and gradually brought up to first team level. That's the bit I think we're missing. We're only really seeing the exceptional ones at the moment, with the rest being on the bench until they move on. It's been a while since we've had a player like Considine who is good enough for the first team, and gives us a player for a good while. Guys like Duncan and Barron should be getting 100-200 games for us, and we should have one or two more too.

If any of my bets come up on this game I'll buy the club and save us from Cormack's antics.  I always try and be positive if we put money down on Aberdeen.  Don't back us every game but did have us beating Motherwell 3-1 £3 (14/1) plus £9 Bojan Miovski Two Or More Goals (15/2) so I'm in form!!