Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

20/21 Loan Player Watch

Mark Gallagher was a 61st minute sub in Forfar’s 4-0 win away at Edinburgh City. Was at the game and Gallagher did okay when he came on however game was over as a contest when he came on so hard to tell how good he actually is. 

As an aside we should be looking to put a barrow load past City in the cup. Look a poor side especially defensively. Forfar looked like they would score from every corner. 

Kieran Ngwenya started for Kelty in their 4-0 win over Stranraer and was credited with assist for 3rd. Conor Barron was subbed off in 78th minute of same game. 

Jack Milne was 72nd minute sub in Brechin’s 4-0 win over Deveronvale and scored 4th goal.

Tom Ritchie and Jack MacIver both played 90 minutes of Huntly’s 4-1 over Lossiemouth.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, manc_don said:

Anyone know much about Connor Barron? Apart from hopefully being better than a traffic cone 😬

One goal and a couple off assists while at Kelty and played almost all of games while on loan there. I never made their Edinburgh City game due to work so never  got to see him play. 

Evan Towler played 90 minutes of Elgin’s 2-2 draw with Edinburgh City. Due to COVID isolation never got a chance to see how he did.

Kieran Ngwenya played 90 minutes of Kelty’s 3-0 win away to Stirling. Mason Hancock was 63rd minute sub for Stirling.

Jack Milne played 90 minutes of Brechin’s 1-0 defeat to Formartine. 

Ryan Duncan played 90 minutes of Peterhead’s 1-1 draw with Clyde.

Kieran Ngwenya played 90 minutes of Kelty’s 2-2 draw with Edinburgh City. 

Evan Towler played 90 minutes of Elgin’s 1-1 draw with Albion Rovers.

Mason Hancock played 90 minutes of Stirling Albion’s 3-3 draw with Stranraer. 

Tom Ritchie was in goals for Huntly’s 3-0 defeat to Rothes. 

Ryan Duncan played full game for Peterhead in their penalty win over East Kilbride. Also had an assist for their first. 

Kieran Ngwenya played full game in Kelty’s 1-0 extra time win over St Johnstone.

Tom Ritchie played full 90 minutes of Huntly’s 1-2 defeat from Fraserburgh. 

Good luck to him. It does bring in to question our development of youth. Whether it's an actual policy or just another sound bite that clubs deploy increasingly these days. In my opinion, what's missing from Dean's game is simply game time (probably at spfl level). He has all the attributes of a really good player, but inconsistency in game time leads to inconsistency on the pitch. To truly be a youth focused team, I think we'd have to be ditching McGeouch (and probably Ojo) and offering those minutes (I'm certain Campbell could have done exactly the same as McGeouch against County) to Campbell. In that regard, I see zero difference between the Glass and McInnes approach. The only difference currently is Ramsay, but given that he's very good at football, I find the suggestion that he wouldn't have featured under McInnes this season hard to believe. I don't believe he'd be completing 90 minutes every week under McInnes, but I don't believe he's actually ready to do that yet either. 

There's something that we're not quite getting right in our youth development. This situation reminds me of the Wright one. We appear to have missed an entire season of Dean's development, much like we did with Wright. Due to the fact that we crammed our squad with senior players (all in one fucking position too!), we've completely limited Campbell's game time. We've afforded Ramsay the time to make numerous errors in a way we haven't Campbell. If we weren't willing to do that with Campbell he should have been out on loan much sooner. It remains to be seen if that will have a lasting effect on his overall development or not. Hopefully not. I think Campbell was good enough that we should have been looking at a youth product that was as good as Jack in a few years and I think we might have failed him. Glass inherited that squad, but he also added guys like Longstaff to it. We're not getting the mix right if we're going to be focusing on youth as suggested, to the extent that I think it's just another marketing strategy.

I completely agree that our approach to youth development is hopeless, at least when the youngsters reach the fringes of the first team at any rate. There is a slightly less cynical view that the club aren't just paying lip service to committing to youth but they're actually just hopeless at it.

If a kid isn't going to be in the team or match day squad by a certain age, but you want to hang on to them, then it's got to be a loan at that point. But that requires clubs to take a proper long-term view and I'm not sure we've been that kind of club for a long, long time.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

I completely agree that our approach to youth development is hopeless, at least when the youngsters reach the fringes of the first team at any rate. There is a slightly less cynical view that the club aren't just paying lip service to committing to youth but they're actually just hopeless at it.

If a kid isn't going to be in the team or match day squad by a certain age, but you want to hang on to them, then it's got to be a loan at that point. But that requires clubs to take a proper long-term view and I'm not sure we've been that kind of club for a long, long time.

Good post. You're right, they might just be poor at it. Also, Glass inherited a squad of well paid senior players, so perhaps I'm being unfair. It's extremely difficult to see where Adam Montgomery fits into our strategy however.