Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

20/21 Loan Player Watch

6 hours ago, wee toon red said:

I completely agree that our approach to youth development is hopeless, at least when the youngsters reach the fringes of the first team at any rate. There is a slightly less cynical view that the club aren't just paying lip service to committing to youth but they're actually just hopeless at it.

If a kid isn't going to be in the team or match day squad by a certain age, but you want to hang on to them, then it's got to be a loan at that point. But that requires clubs to take a proper long-term view and I'm not sure we've been that kind of club for a long, long time.

It's maybe a bit unfair to make that point now, considering we're posting on a thread about our players that are out on loan and the majority of the youth squad are now being sent out elsewhere to get development time.  If you want to point the finger, I think the guy who's just taken Campbell on loan is the one who should be on the end of it.  I've no argument that he failed the youth players (and the club) in this regard.

• Like 3

Very difficult for a team with any kind of aspiration of success to develop young players, as a manager you just do not get time.  As we are seeing right now at the Dons, if you drop to 7th or 8th in the table the fans want you sacked so why would you jeopardise your job as a manager just to fill the team with a few youngsters?  It's fine if you are Motherwell or St Mirren and nobody really cares whether you finish 10th in the league, there is no pressure. That's why it is very rare to see a young player coming through the youth set up at Celtic, Rangers, Man Utd, City etc.  It only happened for Chelsea a couple of years ago due to their transfer ban which forced them into using their youngsters.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Very difficult for a team with any kind of aspiration of success to develop young players, as a manager you just do not get time.  As we are seeing right now at the Dons, if you drop to 7th or 8th in the table the fans want you sacked so why would you jeopardise your job as a manager just to fill the team with a few youngsters?  It's fine if you are Motherwell or St Mirren and nobody really cares whether you finish 10th in the league, there is no pressure. That's why it is very rare to see a young player coming through the youth set up at Celtic, Rangers, Man Utd, City etc.  It only happened for Chelsea a couple of years ago due to their transfer ban which forced them into using their youngsters.

Yep, totally agree, that's why it needs forcing and support from above. It's against a manager's interests, and that was very clear under McInnes. It's just tweaking that we need to the squad setup that sort of forces the manager's hand. I expected that to happen under Glass, but so far the balance hasn't changed. All it takes is the refusal to sanction certain signings. McInnes shouldn't have been allowed to sign McGeouch for example, his hand should have been forced. Longstaff shouldn't have been allowed, and perhaps not Jenks either and Montgomery. Obviously, you wouldn't go too far, but those were guys who were brought in when we had players in the positions they fill. They take up the minutes when injuries hit and the 10-15 minutes in games where the manager has to give them a run to maintain squad harmony. It just takes the slight edge off the manager's desire for self preservation. I don't think it would have a huge effect on our league position. 

My Killie supporting mates expect Campbell to slot straight into the team tonight for the top of the table clash with Arbroath.

Apparently they have been screaming out for a left sided midfielder.

Anyone interested can see how he gets on as game is live on council tele.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigAl said:

My Killie supporting mates expect Campbell to slot straight into the team tonight for the top of the table clash with Arbroath.

Apparently they have been screaming out for a left sided midfielder.

Anyone interested can see how he gets on as game is live on council tele.

Have to say, I love the Friday night games, it's great coverage of the championship. Hopefully Campbell gets a quick brace before losing by a goal. Don't wish him or McInnes any ill, but would love to see Arbroath win that league.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Have to say, I love the Friday night games, it's great coverage of the championship. Hopefully Campbell gets a quick brace before losing by a goal. Don't wish him or McInnes any ill, but would love to see Arbroath win that league.

Agree with all you've written there Rico.

Hope it is another cracker like the Morton v Raith game last week.

• 2 weeks later...

Dean Campbell was 88th minute sub for Kilmarnock in their 3-0 win against Raith. 

Ryan Duncan played 62 minutes of Peterhead’s 1-0 loss to Airdrie. 

Kieran Ngwenya played full 90 minutes of Kelty’s 1-0 loss to Forfar.

Evan Towler played 90 minutes of Elgin’s 2-0 defeat from Cowdenbeath which puts Elgin in real danger of dropping into relegation play off place. Kevin Hanratty was unused sub. 

Went along to Falkirk v Peterhead tonight and Ryan Duncan had a good game. Easily one of best players on the park and scored a good goal. Think he will be in our first team next season. 

Kieran Ngwenya played 90 minutes of Kelty’s 1-0 win over Cowdenbeath. 

Dean Campbell unused sub in Kilmarnock’s 0-0 draw with Dunfermline. 

Kieran Ngwenya played 90 minutes of Kelty’s 3-1 win over Annan.

Evan Towler played 90 minutes of Elgin’s 3-1 win over Stirling. Mason Hancock played full 90 minutes for Stirling. 

Luke Turner played 90 minutes of Cliftonville’s 3-1 win over Crusaders. Had missed him going on loan there until recently. 

• 4 weeks later...

Was at Alloa v Peterhead on Saturday. Ryan Duncan was not as dominant as he was last time I saw Peterhead but still managed to hit the post and miss a sitter. He is allegedly getting over COVID which may be the reason he was not as sharp as he was in the last game. 

Was at Kelty Hearts v Stenhousemuir today. Kieran Ngwenya played well it not really tested. Put in some really good crosses and looked comfortable on the ball. League winner now as well.

As an aside that’s me back to having visited all 42 league grounds. Should be alright for next season or so as already been to grounds of teams who are likely come up this season. 

• Like 1