Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

January window

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

We haven't actually signed anyone have we??

I was thinking that this morning!!

Is Wilson still here? And Gleeson?

Are we supposed to treat Lowe & Hoban & Reynolds being back from injury as January activity  ;)

Oh we got Stewart ha  ;D

It's maybe a controversial thing to say but if you were in charge of the purse strings, why would you be splashing the cash this January?  We've not lost anyone important, GMS and Hoban are just back from injury and Cosgrove has started banging them in for fun.  We are 8 points behind Celtic with 15 games to go so realistically could spent £50M today and probably not win the league.  We've reached one cup final, are still in the Scottish Cup and are right in the mix to finish best of the rest.  Yes, it would be great to stick it to the boys in blue and finish above them again but does it make a massive difference whether we end up 2nd, 3rd or 4th?  From a business perspective it is pointless spending money at this time of year the way we stand at the moment.  Better to see who stays and who goes at the end of the season and spend the money replacing the ones we really need to replace instead of just signing players for the sake of it.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We still have plenty midfield cover in the central and defensive areas. Attacking midfield could do with strengthening, honestly thought we would get Cadden onboard but seems his ambitions lie down south at a Doncaster or similar type EFL club. It's a ridiculous state of affairs that shit like that can easily offer contracts close to double what any club in Scotland's top league can bar the 2 arse cheeks.

Anyway still hopeful we will get a surprise addition this evening. Although probably any happiness I get out of it will instantly turn to nausea as Jim White spunks his Y-fronts at a late addition to the sevco numbers.....

Somebody like Cadden would be an excellent signing, would improve the first 11. I think that we'll struggle to get a player like that in this window though, with a lot of competition and cost. A Cosgrove/Devlin type signing with a view to next season and a couple of pre-contracts would really help with the summer shopping list. If we could get Cadden on a pre-contract, we'd be doing well. There's only 15 games left, so I don't think we need another squad player. If we could get a loanee wide player or striker that would go into the first team, I think we'd stand a better chance of finishing second. That would have a huge negative effect on the huns again, and really set them up for a struggle next season, so I think it's definitely worth pursuing with another strong addition.

According to Scott Burns, GMS, James Wilson, Bruce Anderson & Scott Wright could all be away in this window.

All of that and only one incoming, Brandon Barker.

I thought Scott was usually on the ball with this type of stuff, but there is absolutely no way McInnes would let 4 players leave and only bring in one, therefore, I call bullshit. That's not to say there haven't been enquiries etc...

I'm assuming that GMS going would be out of our hands. Anderson going out on loan would possibly be good for him, Wilson going would make zero difference to anything, other than an opportunity in the budget to bring in likes of Barker and that leaves Wright who I'd be surprised if we let go (on loan I assume) at the moment, given we didn't let him go out last January when it would have benefited both parties most. Although he does need some serious game time, so I wouldn't be averse to it. It'd basically be Barker in for GMS, which would be fine as I remember him being fairly decent at the hibees.

We have too many players on too few minutes on our bench at the minute, so a pairing back might do us some good.

wright looked lively v stenny surely with gms going we need back up

I agree, but Wright does seems to be perenially on the brink of being good but never manages to kick on. He's like Pawlett. I'd hate to see him spend another 6 months on our bench with the occasional cameo. Barker would be a direct replacement for GMS obviously. McLennan would provide cover, with Stewart, May and McGinn rotating between the wings and the behind the striker role as current.

Barker iirc was lightning quick when he was at Hivs. Would be an acceptable replacement for GMS.

Getting Wilson out the door would be a bonus, was convinced there was no break clause in the year's loan agreement. Anderson on loan makes sense too however Wright......he seems too lightweight in our league, dropping down to a loan at a Championship club I have a horrible feeling will be disastrous for his career. Yes he needs a regular game but if anything the Championship is even more physical...the defenders there are brutes with little finesse but plenty brawn and not afraid to use it. My own thoughts are that Wright sadly won't make it in the professional game as a long term career. I predict 5 years from now he will be playing Highland League or juniors.

Mcall just said on sportsound that Wright is going to Dundee, app DM called him as IM was wanting him

Only thing Jobby McCall would teach him is how to take a shite in your star player's shoe. So Shankland will be a mighty relieved guy tonight that Wright is off to the Jute huns

Quite happy with the way things are going actually. We're offloading a lot of the wider squad leaving just the bare minimum. With the winter break, I think there's maybe an opportunity to have a smaller squad anyway. We seemed to be very heavy on players, with a lot of guff in there. Could you imagine Reyonlds and Hoban hadn't been injured? That bench would have buckled under the weight of senior players. Wilson out and another in would be about right I'd say.

Edit to add: just shows how shocking a decision it was not to put Wright out on loan last January. Arguably lost a year of his career for 20 minutes of game time last season. He could have got a good 6 months at a similar level to Dundee (Partick?) before the start of this season. It should have been obvious.

Quite happy with the way things are going actually. We're offloading a lot of the wider squad leaving just the bare minimum. With the winter break, I think there's maybe an opportunity to have a smaller squad anyway. We seemed to be very heavy on players, with a lot of guff in there. Could you imagine Reyonlds and Hoban hadn't been injured? That bench would have buckled under the weight of senior players. Wilson out and another in would be about right I'd say.

Edit to add: just shows how shocking a decision it was not to put Wright out on loan last January. Arguably lost a year of his career for 20 minutes of game time last season. He could have got a good 6 months at a similar level to Dundee (Partick?) before the start of this season. It should have been obvious.

The same person that told me Watt was signing for St Johnstone said at the same time Wright was going to St Mirren I think it was, on loan, not sure what happened, of course, he also said we were signing Nathan Delfouneso and that's turned out to be shite.

So turns out the McKenna to Stoke for 7 million was bullshit, and Tyrone Smith has just tweeted this, perhaps explaining the decision to allow Wright to go out on loan, given we still have GMS, McGinn & McLennan.

As well as defender Scott McKenna staying put in the face of interest from Stoke City, Gary Mackay-Steven is also set to remain at Aberdeen beyond the closure of the window. The winger was a target for New York City.