Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The Board

While I understand the doom and gloom following recent results am I the only one who thinks the board may have been quite clever with their three year deal for the Jimmy's. I've been reading all the wrist slitting threads and while I may have woken up last night in a sweat thinking about who next years team would be made up of...

Surely Calderwood's stock is at an all time high. If ever there was going to be an approach from a Championship Club it would be now. Is it possible that there was no financial outlay bar free signings on short term contacts in January because the board are aware that approaches are going to be made for the management?

It kind of makes sense to me, possibly Jimmy has told Miller and Nicholson he will take them with him, hence them not signing new contracts.

I know Cheltenham made more out of Carlisle taking John Ward off their hands not long after him signing a long contract than they ever made out of player sales. Why change from the rolling contract now unless they could smell the filfee lucre? 

While I understand the doom and gloom following recent results am I the only one who thinks the board may have been quite clever with their three year deal for the Jimmy's. I've been reading all the wrist slitting threads and while I may have woken up last night in a sweat thinking about who next years team would be made up of...

Surely Calderwood's stock is at an all time high. If ever there was going to be an approach from a Championship Club it would be now. Is it possible that there was no financial outlay bar free signings on short term contacts in January because the board are aware that approaches are going to be made for the management?

It kind of makes sense to me, possibly Jimmy has told Miller and Nicholson he will take them with him, hence them not signing new contracts.

I know Cheltenham made more out of Carlisle taking John Ward off their hands not long after him signing a long contract than they ever made out of player sales. Why change from the rolling contract now unless they could smell the filfee lucre? 

Why would a Championship club want a manager who in four seasons only had one domestic cup semi final to his name (which is pretty rank for a Scottish side, especially Aberdeen) and his side is currently 9th in the league?

Burnley - yes, Burnley - turned to Owen Coyle ahead of Calderwood. Supposedly Calderwood was raging at that.

I'm not saying your post is wrong or anything like that, i'd just be very, very surprised if a Championship club came in for him.

Why would a Championship club want a manager who in four seasons only had one domestic cup semi final to his name (which is pretty rank for a Scottish side, especially Aberdeen) and his side is currently 9th in the league?

Burnley - yes, Burnley - turned to Owen Coyle ahead of Calderwood. Supposedly Calderwood was raging at that.

I'm not saying your post is wrong or anything like that, i'd just be very, very surprised if a Championship club came in for him.

I understand what your saying but as fans of the clubs we are never going to be impartial. From the outside looking in, he has taken a club languishing in the lower reaches of the SPL and turned them into side capable of reaching the last 32 of the UEFA cup having spent what?? £500k between two transfer fees and all this within four years.

Yeah I probably am clutching at straws especially claiming the board are being clever but I just have a wee niggly feeling everything will work out alright. If I'm wrong we're fucked (and maybe thats why I've come up with this theroy) because if there was a game Jimmy should have been at on monday night looking for potential signings it certainly wasn't a Premiership reserve fixture.

I understand what your saying but as fans of the clubs we are never going to be impartial. From the outside looking in, he has taken a club languishing in the lower reaches of the SPL and turned them into side capable of reaching the last 32 of the UEFA cup having spent what?? £500k between two transfer fees and all this within four years.

Yeah I probably am clutching at straws especially claiming the board are being clever but I just have a wee niggly feeling everything will work out alright. If I'm wrong we're fucked (and maybe thats why I've come up with this theroy) because if there was a game Jimmy should have been at on monday night looking for potential signings it certainly wasn't a Premiership reserve fixture.

But, also, from the outside looking in, we're Aberdeen. Not Hearts. We should be up there, and people know that. We're not just another SPL club, people down south know we're The Dons.

Think you're right in most of what you say Baggy, to a point. There's something - and i don't know why or what - that niggles at me saying JC won't be here next season. Which is amazing, cos i just couldn't understand anyone wanting to take him on.

I definitely think our UEFA cup run will have turned heads down south.  We are no longer the big team we used to be, and have probably been unheard of by many for quite some time.  This season has put our name back up there in Europe, but our SPL form is atrocious.

But, also, from the outside looking in, we're Aberdeen. Not Hearts. We should be up there, and people know that. We're not just another SPL club, people down south know we're The Dons.

Think you're right in most of what you say Baggy, to a point. There's something - and i don't know why or what - that niggles at me saying JC won't be here next season. Which is amazing, cos i just couldn't understand anyone wanting to take him on.

Complete foundationless pie in the sky thinking but.. Forest? the other Calderwood surely can't survive another season without automatic promotion. Similar job to Aberdeen, rebuilding a previously successful club with an expectant fan base. Money to spend and a perceived opportunity for him improve his "reputation".

There's been a lot worse managers went south than JC.  Blobby Williamson springs to mind, what did he ever do up here?  Harry Potter was another that wasn't/isn't any better than JC.  So why not?

From the outside looking in, there's Celtic and Rangers.  The rest are made up from teams which make up the numbers in the league.

Great post Baggy.

A nice wee theory, but kind of breaks down when you claim that the board are being clever.

They are inept, useless clowns.

Completely agree. I pray and hope he leaves in the summer, but as is the general concensus, who in the right mind would take him? If anything I could see him moving to a cheltenham town or something like that.

There must be some guys in Holland thinking he can do a job.

What about AZ Alkmaar?  We got further in Europe than them.  They must be casting admiring eyes over here looking at the man who got taught everything he knows in Holland and took a shower of pish to the last 32?!

I'd be surprised if some Championship clubs hadn't been tempted to sign him.  As said above his stock is currently quite high so somebody's bound to be interested?? ???

Are Southampton and Coventry still managerless? 

I'd be surprised if some Championship clubs hadn't been tempted to sign him.  As said above his stock is currently quite high so somebody's bound to be interested?? ???

Are Southampton and Coventry still managerless? 

No, they went for Nigel Pearson and Chris Coleman respectively.

Bona fide heavyweights of the managerial world, i'm sure you'll agree.

I am still astounded Calderwood doesn't get more strongly linked with other jobs.

I'm in complete agreement with ST on this, he has brought a club up from it's arse and taken them to the last 32 of Europe.

Qualified for the Uefa cup first, courtesy of a 3rd place finish, then qualified for the group stages by beating Dnipro, then progressed from there to the last 32. With the square root of fuck all money.

Sure our league form this season has been dire, more especially away form has destroyed our season, but at home we have been pretty damn good.

He infuriates the fuck outta me sometimes but on balance, given the season he has brought us, I want the guy to stay. It's felt like 8 cup finals.

Hmmm.  I'm sure he'll be linked with someone if we finish in the top 6 this season,and we make a good start to next season.

*fingers crossed*

Bigger cv's from other clubs, Premiership clubs at that as well as playing experience at the top level.

That said Pearson seems to be one of those dudes always associated with disaster clubs.