Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The Board

Its an interesting point you make baggy.  The thing with calderwood is that he's got this knack of getting results in the games he really needs to.  Eg hearts at tynecastle last season with barry nicks late equaliser, the dnipro away game, copenhagen at home etc etc.  Hell you can even go back to a few seasons ago when we beat inverness 1-0 to get into the top 6.  I am not the guys biggest fan, he's too much of a tinkerer for my liking but he does get results and thats what chairmen look for when appointing new managers.  The biggest problem with JC isnt on the pitch though.  The fans have NEVER united behind him which looking from the outside must seem odd.  I think the only way that they would is if he wins the scottish cup. This would in turn, ironically enough,  pretty much ensure a bid from another club for his services.

Ok some chumpionship (It's division 2 to me and always will be!) neaboddies will poach JC and team away from us with the lure of "loadsamoney" and the chunce to "prove himself" in engerlaaaand?

We get compensation?

We'll need to spend most of that (if not more) just to prise someone else out of a job to come here (if we can even attract someone half-competent) and there'll still be nothing to splash on players.

Who, exactly, is going to come to Pitoddrie? Another Div 1/2/3 "Good young manager", because they work out well don't they? Another SPL manager, well who exactly? Some flash useless git fae englaaand? Baxter or someother no-talent from Europe?

Not trying to defend ALL of JC's bizarre selection/tactical decisions, or his useless blabberings to the press, but if he goes I don't exactly see us being any better off.

Honestly, I think Mark McGhee would be here in a heartbeat. From comments he's made in the past about us and having been here before he still has us at heart. Plus I think he's a good coach and his Jan signings were certainly more inspiring than ours!!

Not that inspired when you consider we were after half (ie one) of them but the board wouldn't sanction a fee for him.

Maybe because they don't trust him with money any more or have doubts about him being at the dons in the summer and into next season??

You have to question the boards decision on that one, fair enough in the summer with that Ferrie Bodde character being an unproven quantity, but not paying out a nominal fee for a player who has proven he can hack it at SPL level in a position we have been trying to fill for how many years? What was the last fee we paid, Lovell? His contracts about run its course now, I know we're skint but come on...

Have to agree with Madbad as well who would come in who could do a job with a seriously delapidated squad and no money to spend? Having said that it probably would be the ideal time for a new man to come in because he would have the opportunity to build his own team bar the bare bones that are left, the problem being finding a cheap one to do it.

I was also thinking last night if there was any managers I would like, currently plying thier trade in the lower reaches of England and there was only one that I would actually fancy as Aberdeen manager, thats Russel Slade, but he would probably have a bigger budget a Yeovil.

The comment about trust was partly tongue in cheek but I doubt JC will see out that 3 yr deal. As for January, players prices are inflated and you get the panic buys. If the club/board is smart then the Hart, Anderson, Clark, and Euro money is all being saved to get players in the summer. They've said money is there to spend and the transfer and Euro money would be put back into the squad. JC will look at Bus, Maybury etc as they are cheaper than Hammell and may be better value for money - not saying the are or will be but I assume that is the 'logic' behind that. It will be interesting to see who the manager will be in the summer to spend if our current form continues.

The comment about trust was partly tongue in cheek but I doubt JC will see out that 3 yr deal. As for January, players prices are inflated and you get the panic buys. If the club/board is smart then the Hart, Anderson, Clark, and Euro money is all being saved to get players in the summer. They've said money is there to spend and the transfer and Euro money would be put back into the squad. JC will look at Bus, Maybury etc as they are cheaper than Hammell and may be better value for money - not saying the are or will be but I assume that is the 'logic' behind that. It will be interesting to see who the manager will be in the summer to spend if our current form continues.

Hammell is an authentic left back though. Spending a wee bit of that fucking fortune we accumulated from Europe and the money we pinched from Plymouth for Clark SHOULD have gone to that signing.

Guest Caroline B

The present incumbents in the boardroom lack ambition and the drive to move the club forward.

They appear more concerned about saving money than spending it. Whilst there is a need to be careful with how much is spent, the time to have speculated was in the summer when transfer targets are more realistically priced and in a lot of cases.....free and out of contract. Wages would then be the stumbling block.

We don't know the facts about what was discussed regarding the budget for this summer, but it would be safe to assume that the biscuit tin won't be opened too often. The fact the the manager has signed a new deal means that surely the board have promised him and his team a sum of cash to spend in the summer. Otherwise why threaten to leave unless his demands are met?

Otherwise folks.............it'll be more of the same next season I'm afraid  :(

Scott Davie on the radio last night said, "Aberdeen Manager Mark McGhee" - does he know something we don't?...

...Or is he just another bbc scotland incompetant?

Scott Davie is just a complete wank. The missus was even giving dirty stares at the radio during the United semi-final as she thought his commentary was shockingly pro-United.