Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Official Europa League Thread 2018/19

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many have suspected for a while that Aberdeen are trying to phase out supporters clubs. Unsurprised by this.

Definitely seems that way. Going to be very difficult for supporters clubs to run buses if they cannot guarantee folk tickets. Also makes it impossible to sit with your mates if everyone has different loyalty points.

Nice to see some Burnley fans here, make yourselves at home folks.  Tough draw for us like, you're a well run outfit and whilst I don't really pay too much attention I was really chuffed for you guys with the season you had.  Dyche seems a good guy, sure he's had offers to leave too.  All in I'll be very surprised if we get through this though our squad is far more used to starting the season so early

I'd be very surprised if you had any hassle in Aberdeen, generally afc fans are pretty accepting outwith fans of the tribute act.  That said I wouldn't go waving any England flags too vociferously just in case. You know yourselves every support has their wanker element and the flag of st george won't go down very well.  I'm not saying that is right but it is what it is. 

If you want to stay somewhere more rural, the ribble valley is on Burnley’s doorstep and has some beautiful walks and stunning scenery. However I am aware I am trying to sell ice to the eskimos on that front

Not really, the North East can be quite grey, and you'll probably find that the mist descends when you're hear and you'll not be able to see any sunlight despite the summer. Good advice with regard to the Wednesday though.

You'll all definitely be fine wearing colours in Aberdeen too, nobody will give a shite. In fact, you'd probably find yourselves more welcomed. You'll get a decent number of tickets, 2,500 perhaps, so hopefully you'll sell out. The home ends will be.

Turfmoor sounds good. A real traditional ground, like Pittodrie. When you're here, you should take a trip out to Westhill. That's the soulless shitepiece location that we'll be moving too soon.

While you guys are here, what would you do if Burnley ditched Turfmoor and moved 6 miles out of town?

No chance of Burnley fans getting battered... unless Burnley fans are looking for trouble.

If some are looking for a fight, they will find it.

There might be the odd idiot who comes up here, gets pissed up and acts like a total dick but the vast majority of Burnley fans will be welcomed and will hopefully leave our city with nothing but a positive experience and thinking that "Aberdonians are good cunts, just like us".

Because underneath it all, we are all the same. Apart from the dicks.

Just don't bring the flag of St George. You're here to support Burnley, not England.

If you know your history, it's just wrong and in our case, a red rag to a ram.

Well, they're a bunch of pussies anyway.

I'm the toughest cunt in Aberdeen and if I see a bunch of folk in Burnley colours having a pint before the game then I'm likely to talk to them about football.

If they have England or even worse, hun flags then different story.

Good old hatters, ruining the fun for all.

Post up a link please.

The hat has been overrun by mutants in recent years. The older genuine fans are good guys but the teenagers and the 20 something's drown out any decent content with total shite, which is only an expression of the vacuousness between their ears.

Post up a link please.

The hat has been overrun by mutants in recent years. The older genuine fans are good guys but the teenagers and the 20 something's drown out any decent content with total shite, which is only an expression of the vacuousness between their ears.

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29825

Starts to degenerate around page six or seven Rocket

I've been up til at least 3am trying to justify why I'm just not feeling this tie with our Lancashire friends.  If my Neurologist is correct and I've been unexpectedly struggling with a bout of depression for said last four months then I was genuinely looking forward to seeing what side we might get in late July as I knew there was a good chance given one's brain injury from birth that at least one Europa League qualifier against somebody really weird and wonderful might give me the focus required to see a quicker recovery from latest issue.  Burnley isn't that name one hoped to be getting excited about.  I don't buy into all this 'Battle Of Britain' garbage most supporters mention.  I think also if the end outcome is what I expect it to be all that effort to finish second past campaign was for nothing but to witness two 'high profile friendlies against some English Premier League outfit' as I've described to female friends.  If I'm well enough when tickets go on sale I'll maybe try and travel them four hours on train to attend Pittodrie leg if only for the souvenir scarf and programme.  I genuinely hope I can be fit enough mentally to go because I do love watching my team in Europe despite this year giving us the most uninspiring opponent going.         

Hello All,

Another Burnley fan beginning to look forward to the two games after initially being "underwhelmed" by the draw. Not bothered about location, but I fancied an easier game against weaker part-time opposition from Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Andorra, San Marino etc.

I don't want to give an opinion on the relative strengths of the EPL v SPL but I think the bookies will probably have us as favourites to progress.

In recent years, we have won 2 pre-season games against Rangers at Ibrox, but Burnley's last competitive fixture against Scottish opposition was just short of 40 years ago when we were massive underdogs against Celtic in the Anglo-Scottish Cup.

In 1978/79 Burnley were a skint mid-table second-tier team but - maybe quite a lot of you already know - upset the odds with a 1-0 home win in the now "infamous" first leg followed by a memorable 2-1 victory at Parkhead.

There's loads of stuff on Google (especially the riot at the Turf Moor game) but I found this interesting link.

www.rocksportradio.co.uk/burnley-face-dons-with-memories-of-celtic/

Another link:

www.heraldscotland.com/news/11911386.Trip-to-the-red-rose-county-remembered-for-the-wrong-reasons/

Definitely seems that way. Going to be very difficult for supporters clubs to run buses if they cannot guarantee folk tickets. Also makes it impossible to sit with your mates if everyone has different loyalty points.

They've been trying to do it for years.  I'm not sure why they think it's a good idea, but added to the DNA loyalty points nonsense, it's clear they want customers and not fans these days.

Hello All,

Another Burnley fan beginning to look forward to the two games after initially being "underwhelmed" by the draw. Not bothered about location, but I fancied an easier game against weaker part-time opposition from Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Andorra, San Marino etc.

I don't want to give an opinion on the relative strengths of the EPL v SPL but I think the bookies will probably have us as favourites to progress.

In recent years, we have won 2 pre-season games against Rangers at Ibrox, but Burnley's last competitive fixture against Scottish opposition was just short of 40 years ago when we were massive underdogs against Celtic in the Anglo-Scottish Cup.

In 1978/79 Burnley were a skint mid-table second-tier team but - maybe quite a lot of you already know - upset the odds with a 1-0 home win in the now "infamous" first leg followed by a memorable 2-1 victory at Parkhead.

There's loads of stuff on Google (especially the riot at the Turf Moor game) but I found this interesting link.

www.rocksportradio.co.uk/burnley-face-dons-with-memories-of-celtic/

Another link:

www.heraldscotland.com/news/11911386.Trip-to-the-red-rose-county-remembered-for-the-wrong-reasons/

Good share, thanks for that.  I had never even heard of the Anglo Scottish cup but nice one on stuffing Celtic at the San Giro  :thumbsup:

This is pretty much as tough a draw as both teams could have got which is why everyone felt unease at first but now, having accepted that we will probably go out, I'm looking forward to the tie.  It's a free swing basically and as I have said previously our squad is far more used to starting back so early which I'm hoping will level the scales a we bit. 

Re scottish and english football.  It's ridiculous to even compare them given the financial gulf.  What I will say is this though, Scottish football at it's best is an awful lot of fun and far more entertaining than the EPL imo. I say that as someone who used to watch a lot of english football and still listen religiously to the likes of football weekly.  Up here you get loads of really close games, fascinating rivalry's, affordable prices and most away grounds are only 3 hours or so away at the most.  There was something to play for at pretty much every match right up to and including the last fixture of the season. 

The technical ability of the top league is lower without question then plenty of other european leagues but it's very quick and intense and I've seen plenty of big names come to Scotland and not be able to hack it, Joey Barton most recently (he really looked clueless up here btw, it had nothing to do with the standard around him either he just couldn't adapt to the pace of the game).  Sure celtic run away with the league every year but at the moment they are just so much richer than anyone else, I'm sure you can relate to this playing in the EPL..  The gulf of resource between Celtic and Aberdeen is probably higher than the gulf between Burnley and Man City to put it in a little context. 

I think Burnley will go through after 2 very close encounters but I wouldn't put the house on it.

How safe is it to wear club colours whilst travelling across the city?

I tend not to bother these days when attending away matches after almost getting into grief whilst travelling across London. But having said that, it always feels dull turning up at a game incognito

I'm as quiet as they come and won't be looking for trouble but as a lone traveller would I get picked off as ""low hanging fruit"? :D

Bob , you will be fine as should any other fan in claret.  If the Suicide Squad are up  & acting the goat that could be a different matter.  The dons fans are not stupid & we recognise you are a proper team with proper fans :thumbsup:  Nearer the time i will give you a list of bars suitable.

I've been up til at least 3am trying to justify why I'm just not feeling this tie with our Lancashire friends.  If my Neurologist is correct and I've been unexpectedly struggling with a bout of depression for said last four months then I was genuinely looking forward to seeing what side we might get in late July as I knew there was a good chance given one's brain injury from birth that at least one Europa League qualifier against somebody really weird and wonderful might give me the focus required to see a quicker recovery from latest issue.  Burnley isn't that name one hoped to be getting excited about.  I don't buy into all this 'Battle Of Britain' garbage most supporters mention.  I think also if the end outcome is what I expect it to be all that effort to finish second past campaign was for nothing but to witness two 'high profile friendlies against some English Premier League outfit' as I've described to female friends.  If I'm well enough when tickets go on sale I'll maybe try and travel them four hours on train to attend Pittodrie leg if only for the souvenir scarf and programme.  I genuinely hope I can be fit enough mentally to go because I do love watching my team in Europe despite this year giving us the most uninspiring opponent going.       

No point in talking the game(and your mood)down any more.It is what it is,how can you enjoy the occasion now its here.

Two full houses,two great atmospheres.The romance of the plucky wee minnow against the mighty Dons,

Come away min....

That's the normal amount these days I'm afraid

Confirmed on AFC website. Prices for away leg as follows:

Adults: £25

Over 65 & Under 22: £15

Under 18: £10

Kick off now provisionally 1945 for both games which means I have booked half 9 train for no reason.

Confirmed on AFC website. Prices for away leg as follows:

Adults: £25

Over 65 & Under 22: £15

Under 18: £10

Kick off now provisionally 1945 for both games which means I have booked half 9 train for no reason.

Given the bullshit the rail companies are pulling down in Englandshire it could end up being a very smart decision

Elgin, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.  I wanna be at every Aberdeen if money allowed and my overall mood wasn't as up and down like it has been this last five months.

I have faith that once the game approaches your mood will change. It’s a different team, one we’ve never played . Smell of the turf and glow of the lights. Perfect summer night game. And no potential ambushes to regular fans for a change. Not all bad seebass. Think it’ll be a cracker of a tie. Who knows what’ll happen.

Also, to the clarets on the board. Our away end is pretty awful for views . If you think palace away is tight, wait for this  ;D just as well your away lot usually stand anyway  :thumbsup: