Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Official Europa League Thread 2018/19

Difficult tie and one that I suspect we will lose however I also thought we would lose to Dnipro, Groningen and HNK Rijeka and looked what happened in those games. Never been to Burnley and looking forward to the trip down. Booked to stay in Preston as could not see many places in Burnley. Just need to get a ticket now.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've unilaterally decided, on behalf of Aberdeen, that Burnley is a shitehole.

In Barnsley, which is a far nicer place, they ask if you are "staying" rather than "sitting in" in the coffee shops. Fucked up like. MG, does this same phenomenon occur in Burnley?

Finally, have you chosen the name MelGibson as some sort of Braveheart-based alias in order to appear more friendly to the people North of the border? "I come in peace" type thing? If so, the real Mel Gibson's probably a cunt, and his film and associated accent were shite.

Baggy you have listed a load of players who have done well in Scotland and therefore moved south.

Many decent SPL player end in the championship, they move for the money and the standard of football.

It’s only my opinion that the SPL is akin to the championship and I am not saying I am right. It’s not an uncommon opinion. Money does make the standard of football better because that what all the decent players want.

Yes we are the best suppprted club in England per head of population. Just over 70k live in Burnley and we regular sell out the 22.5k seats at turf Moor.

In terms of preferring the football with or without the money, it’s difficult for me to say as in my life time (I’m 30) I have only ever known burnley in the prem with money, or in the lower leagues skint

My first season watching burnley was 91/92. We were in the 4th div. gradually, with several ups and downs I have seen us now rise to a fantastic position. There are things I don’t like about the prem and in many ways I prefer lower league football. The football in the prem is fantastic and it’s great to see world class players, however  away games are not as fun. I used to love going to places like Colchester and taking over 3 sides of the ground (burnley always travel well). It’s all a bit cooperate in the prem.

Fortunately burnley have tried to stick to their roots. I only pay 300 quid for my season ticket. I sit in an old wooden stand which has great atmosphere, far better than the boring bowls that the likes of Southampton and Leicester have

Just been informed there will be no supporters club orders for the away leg. Guess that is myself and my boy stuffed as not going to have enough loyalty points as don't get to too many home games given location

Many have suspected for a while that Aberdeen are trying to phase out supporters clubs. Unsurprised by this.

Just been informed there will be no supporters club orders for the away leg. Guess that is myself and my boy stuffed as not going to have enough loyalty points as don't get to too many home games given location

Got the email confirming that this afternoon. Nothing in the email as to how many loyalty points are required and another email is to follow on this once they know how many tickets Burnley are giving us. From what I have seen on line the usual away allocation is about 2,400 so hopefully get at least that.

Got the email confirming that this afternoon. Nothing in the email as to how many loyalty points are required and another email is to follow on this once they know how many tickets Burnley are giving us. From what I have seen on line the usual away allocation is about 2,400 so hopefully get at least that.

We might get full stand (around 4000+) if AFC commit to paying for them up front as APPARENTLY the interest in Burnley is fairly much about the away game. Here's hoping Jute  :thumbsup:

We might get full stand (around 4000+) if AFC commit to paying for them up front as APPARENTLY the interest in Burnley is fairly much about the away game. Here's hoping Jute  :thumbsup:

We're one of the few EPL clubs that doesn't normally charge upfront for tickets.

I hope you do get the full 4200. That stand, although a little old and creaky, is the best one on the ground for creating atmosphere. Send your best singers down and it will be a hell of a game.

I've got my hotel booked in Aberdeen already, really looking forward to this one. I was dreading drawing somewhere in some far flung country I've never heard of that was 6 hours drive from the nearest airport. Despite hearing that the train link from the airport is suspended I suspect that Aberdeen doesn't fall into this category :D

Not sure how the game will go. We don't have any prima Donnas, just a bunch of hard grafters, as I imagine so do you

Our recent record in cup games is far from good and we don't play well against teams similar to ourselves(hard working).

Whatever happens I'm sure it will be an epic tie and I can't wait to get there to experience my first ever European game. Go easy on us, most of us are new to this kind of thing  :laughing:

There's a fair amount of confidence down here in NW England from folk who know Burnley fans we will get 4000. Quite a few games Burnley have given this out as the allocation in the past to the likes of Sunderland and Leeds etc.

How anyone from down here who goes when they can will qualify for tickets is a different matter.

We're one of the few EPL clubs that doesn't normally charge upfront for tickets.

I hope you do get the full 4200. That stand, although a little old and creaky, is the best one on the ground for creating atmosphere. Send your best singers down and it will be a hell of a game.

I've got my hotel booked in Aberdeen already, really looking forward to this one. I was dreading drawing somewhere in some far flung country I've never heard of that was 6 hours drive from the nearest airport. Despite hearing that the train link from the airport is suspended I suspect that Aberdeen doesn't fall into this category :D

Not sure how the game will go. We don't have any prima Donnas, just a bunch of hard grafters, as I imagine so do you

Our recent record in cup games is far from good and we don't play well against teams similar to ourselves(hard working).

Whatever happens I'm sure it will be an epic tie and I can't wait to get there to experience my first ever European game. Go easy on us, most of us are new to this kind of thing  :laughing:

Welcome Honest Bob.

It is really good to have a few of you guys coming on for a bit of banter.

Regardless of whether I get a ticket or not I'm coming down and have the feeling the atmosphere is going to be a lot friendlier than it has been on a few of our ventures into mainland Europe

I'm getting pelters from a friend who like me is an Aberdeen fan of nearly 40 years himself.  He can't understand why I have ZERO ENTHUSIASM for this tie.  Given the teams we could have drawn I still stand by my opinion it is the MOST BORING pairing we could have got.

Good to have a couple of clarets on board.  Their away crowd, much like ours, is boisterous so should make both ties decent in terms of atmosphere, regardless of a booze levels  ;D  Just hope there isn't any trouble and both sides come out of the ties better for it  :thumbsup:

Burnley has always struck me as a proper well run family club. Something ours could learn from (i.e. not taking advantage of it's fans).  Nice to see them give the big boys a good scare at times too.  Will be interesting to see how we fare, I imagine DM will treat it like he does a game against the glasgow cheeks.

Kow, I didn't think anyone was suggesting Celtic would be top 6, they wouldn't be struggling in the premier league though.  It's all arbitrary anyway as they don't play in the league and nor have the same levels of $.

That's me booked on the train to Burnley, changing at Edinburgh & Preston, just have to hope i get a brief now  :confused:

At Preston aim to get the Trans Pennine express to York, getting off at Burnley Manchester Road.

The other train, destination Colne, is like something that predates Brief Encounter and the match will be over by the time you get there.

15 -20 minute walk from Manchester Road station, follow your nose straight down the hill.

If anybody is looking to book hotels these would be my obvious recommendations

1) Premier Inn. Consistent quality, pub/restaurant and less than 15 minutes walk to ground

2) Alexander Hotel. Quality ok but a bit tired. Not too far from ground, maybe 15 minutes

3)Travel Lodge. Quality not nearly as good as Premier Inn but still ok. Other side of town to Premier Inn. 25 minutes walk approx

4) Holiday Inn Express. Good quality but a bit pricey. quite a walk from ground. Maybe 40 minutes. Bus/taxi would be better option

If there's anything you need to know about Burnley then please ask. Some of your guys have been extremely helpful on our forum so happy to return the favour

Anyone thinking of coming down the Wednesday night before the match for a night out then you may need to limit your expectations

Although there are a lot of decent pubs in Burnley selling ale, most will cost at 11 on a Wednesday night. I imagine that will stretch the Thursday night though and should be a decent night out.

If you are wanting a big night out Wednesday you may be better off stopping in Manchester which is less than an hour away on the bus or train.

If you want to stay somewhere more rural, the ribble valley is on Burnley’s doorstep and has some beautiful walks and stunning scenery. However I am aware I am trying to sell ice to the eskimos on that front

If anybody is looking to book hotels these would be my obvious recommendations

1) Premier Inn. Consistent quality, pub/restaurant and less than 15 minutes walk to ground

2) Alexander Hotel. Quality ok but a bit tired. Not too far from ground, maybe 15 minutes

3)Travel Lodge. Quality not nearly as good as Premier Inn but still ok. Other side of town to Premier Inn. 25 minutes walk approx

4) Holiday Inn Express. Good quality but a bit pricey. quite a walk from ground. Maybe 40 minutes. Bus/taxi would be better option

[/quote

Thanks for all the feedback Bob, much appreciated :thumbsup:

From what i can gather most people seem to staying in Manchester or like myself Preston, looking for somewhere half decent near Preston train station for dumping a bag.

Will inform you of good bars soon on here & any to avoid soon. ;)

How safe is it to wear club colours whilst travelling across the city?

I tend not to bother these days when attending away matches after almost getting into grief whilst travelling across London. But having said that, it always feels dull turning up at a game incognito

I'm as quiet as they come and won't be looking for trouble but as a lone traveller would I get picked off as ""low hanging fruit"? :D

Baggy you have listed a load of players who have done well in Scotland and therefore moved south.

Many decent SPL player end in the championship, they move for the money and the standard of football. and some harbour an ambition of playing EPL.

It’s only my opinion that the SPL is akin to the championship and I am not saying I am right. It’s not an uncommon opinion. Money does make the standard of football better because that what all the decent players want.

EFA

I tend not to bother these days when attending away matches after almost getting into grief whilst travelling across London. But having said that, it always feels dull turning up at a game incognito

I'm as quiet as they come and won't be looking for trouble but as a lone traveller would I get picked off as ""low hanging fruit"? :D

Not known anyone to get any bother unless they’re one of the Glasgow cheeks or been looking for it. I’d be really disappointed and surprised if anything happened to an away fan (unless one of the above).

Should be fine wearing colours. Usually see away fans drinking in town before the games even the Plastics. Only exception these days is Tribute Act fans but that’s usually down to their scummy behaviour. Basically don’t act the cunt and you should have a great trip. Plenty good bars in Aberdeen.

Should be fine wearing colours. Usually see away fans drinking in town before the games even the Plastics. Only exception these days is Tribute Act fans but that’s usually down to their scummy behaviour. Basically don’t act the cunt and you should have a great trip. Plenty good bars in Aberdeen.

You will find the drink prices a tad more than in Burnley though!