Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Official Europa League Thread 2018/19

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really shite draw that. Ideal for fans etc... I get that, but the end game is surely the Group Stages? Can't see anything other than a comfortable 2 leg win for Burnley.

We do have the whole " Might catch them cold " given that we will be ahead of them pre-season wise ( I Think ) but I actually think Dyche is a very astute man, and what he's done there is quite impressive, they have better players than us & are fitter than us, the gulf will be too much, unless they don't take us seriously of course. They are notoriously difficult to break down as well.

But we can take solace from the fact we've beaten Groningen & Rijeka, 2 extremely difficult fixtures themselves & we actually played not too bad at home to Sociedad, so there is of course the possibility, just think they'll be too well prepared, it's what Dyche is good at.

Kenny, thanks for restoring some realism on this thread!!  I've said to my brother in Australia (also an Aberdeen man) we'll get beat 2-0 at Pittodrie and 2-1 at Turf Moor but overall it'll be a walk in the park for said Lancashire club and he wholeheartedly agrees with me. Sean Dyche wouldn't dare let his players underestimate us and will bring a very strong side up knowing how they get written off in their own league week in week out!!!

Don't recall people giving Calderwood's tombolla eleven much hope against Dnipro (believe they were actually one of the favourites to win the trophy that year).

A fairly average hearts team gave Liverpool a fright not so long ago

Much prefer Burnley to Atalanta or AZ Alkamar as at least for me anyway there is a bit of excitement with this draw

tumblr_maezait7dS1ruyz4so6_r1_250.gif

As long as the Dons put up a proper fight I'll be fine.

I felt a sense of " Gutted " when I saw it SeeBass, of course anything can happen over 2 legs, especially if we keep a clean sheet at home, gives us a superb chance, but Dyche is in many ways like McInnes, usually well drilled & never under-estimates an opponent.

I really dislike being this negative, it defeats the purpose, but can't deny it's a very, very tough ask, over both legs.

Kenny, I think the word we used was actually 'depressed'.  I'm not even sure I'll make an effort to attend the Pittodrie leg but for the souvenir scarf and programme to say;

"I was there when we played Burnley in Europa League Qualifying 2018!!"

I hope I'm seriously wrong but if we can keep it down to a two goal deficit in overall aggregate score we'll be doing very well indeed. 

Really shite draw that. Ideal for fans etc... I get that, but the end game is surely the Group Stages? Can't see anything other than a comfortable 2 leg win for Burnley.

We do have the whole " Might catch them cold " given that we will be ahead of them pre-season wise ( I Think ) but I actually think Dyche is a very astute man, and what he's done there is quite impressive, they have better players than us & are fitter than us, the gulf will be too much, unless they don't take us seriously of course. They are notoriously difficult to break down as well.

But we can take solace from the fact we've beaten Groningen & Rijeka, 2 extremely difficult fixtures themselves & we actually played not too bad at home to Sociedad, so there is of course the possibility, just think they'll be too well prepared, it's what Dyche is good at.

How will they be fitter than us? If anything I’d assume the slight opposite given our league season starts a week before them. I also think we’ll be better prepared, DM has been through early euro games the last few years, Burnley have not and don’t have that experience which I think is relevant (much like rangers losing to a shit team last year.)

Your last paragraph is how I see it, we’ve beaten teams ranked higher than us and weren’t expected to, I don’t see why we can’t give Burnley a shock. They were the 4th lowest scoring team in the EPL and are no attacking powerhouses, and were 4th bottom the year before last. One season wonders? Dyche seems to get credit but he’s coaching the English St Johnstone and is he the English Tommy Wright? Oh, and they were knocked out of the league cup last year by Leeds (13th in the championship.) I’m going to be optimistic.

Burnley fan in peace.

Initially I was a bit gutted with this draw. Not played in Europe in my lifetime and what I wanted was a chance to get my flip flops on and go somewhere with a bit of sun with the lads. I’ve got a young family and don’t get the chance to go abroad with the lads anymore but this was a free pass stipulated in the Prenump.

I am also gutted because this is one of the hardest fixtures we are likely to face in a first qualifying round.

I have come around to the idea now though. From what I have heard Aberdeen is a decent city with a lot going on. I think we should expect to beat you lot over the tie but Dyche has a history of not taking cup games seriously. In recent years we have got beat to Accrington Stanley and Lincoln in the cup. I suspect Dyche will take this cup more seriously as it’s a good chance for him to improve his CV. We are a tough team for any team to beat and Dyche has built our success on hard graft.

As for visiting Burnley, like most industrial northern towns Burnley isn’t the prettiest of places but the citizens are hard working, no nonsense, decent people. Low Beer prices in Burnley are probably the cheapest in the country. You can get a decent pint of ale for £1.80 in some pubs/workingmens.  A few chain hotels to stay in and the place isn’t big so most are walking distance to the stadium. Should be a good game

I think we should expect to beat you lot over the tie

The bookies will support your view. There is no doubt you'll be favourites.

Three factors in our favour though;

1. We will be extra motivated against EPL opposition to show the world that Scottish fitba isn't as bad as everyone (me included) seems to think it is.

2. Some of our players are so good they could walk into the Man City team let alone Burnley's. As you'll see. Players you've probably never heard of. That's if the new Real Madrid manager doesn't snap them up first.

3. Aberdeen comes before Burnley in the football dictionary.

Burnley fan in peace.

Initially I was a bit gutted with this draw. Not played in Europe in my lifetime and what I wanted was a chance to get my flip flops on and go somewhere with a bit of sun with the lads. I’ve got a young family and don’t get the chance to go abroad with the lads anymore but this was a free pass stipulated in the Prenump.

I am also gutted because this is one of the hardest fixtures we are likely to face in a first qualifying round.

I have come around to the idea now though. From what I have heard Aberdeen is a decent city with a lot going on. I think we should expect to beat you lot over the tie but Dyche has a history of not taking cup games seriously. In recent years we have got beat to Accrington Stanley and Lincoln in the cup. I suspect Dyche will take this cup more seriously as it’s a good chance for him to improve his CV. We are a tough team for any team to beat and Dyche has built our success on hard graft.

As for visiting Burnley, like most industrial northern towns Burnley isn’t the prettiest of places but the citizens are hard working, no nonsense, decent people. Low Beer prices in Burnley are probably the cheapest in the country. You can get a decent pint of ale for £1.80 in some pubs/workingmens.  A few chain hotels to stay in and the place isn’t big so most are walking distance to the stadium. Should be a good game

I've been to Barnsley. Lovely place.

The bookies will support your view. There is no doubt you'll be favourites.

2. Some of our players are so good they could walk into the Man City team let alone Burnley's. As you'll see. Players you've probably never heard of. That's if the new Real Madrid manager doesn't snap them up first.

I assume you’re joking or drunk.

Back in the 90s the SPL has some world class players. I still watch the SPL whenever it’s on sky and the standard has dropped a lot imo. I’d say Celtic are championship level. Don’t know what level the Dons are at because I haven’t seen you enough to make that judgement but it doesn’t really matter. Championship teams beat prem teams every year in the cup. Burnley will have to perform. Dyche is an excellent manager and I am hoping he can do the job for us.

As for Barnsley, I can see how you have got the to places mixed up. The bbc do it all the time. The main difference is we have the Great War mongering alister Campbell are our celebrity fan. They have dickie bird

Celtic Championship level?

Unbelieveable arrogance from yet another guffy who vastly overrates the quality of the English league system.....and it is only because of the foreigners imported at vastly over-inflated prices that give it any quality at all.

You lot finished 7th last season. Trust me, Celtic would finish comfortably above Burnley every season without exception. And we didn't finish all that far behind Celtic, although with finances as they are I do concede that at present Aberdeen are Championship level, though I also believe that we would be mid to top end level as would sevco and Hibs.

I hope this arrogance is mirrored by your manager and players. You might just find Scottish football is a tad better than you believe.....

Aye, don't think I'd be celebrating the arrival of the likes of Jeff Hendrick, Chris Wood, Nhaki Wells, Ashley Westwood, or Jonathan Walters. EPL equivalent of Caley Thistle signings. Despite their over inflated EPL price tags. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they'd do a job but pretty sure you'd get equivalents for a lot less.

No doubt Dyche has got Blackburn punching through discipline and organisation. But there is no doubt their tactics are based on not losing. Much the same as McInnes tries to do with us against the tims.

We tend to struggle against teams that take the game to us, but will always nick a goal against the organised teams.

Important thing will be not to concede at home (like that stupid one against the Cyp's last year) and ideally nick a goal there. Cosgrove will play both legs.

Hopefully Yatsie and his new Macc side  (including Jared Hopkiss) give them a real physical going over in their friendly the weekend prior to the first leg. Wouldn't be a Macc side if they didn't...

Calm down I’m only giving an option about the standard of Scottish football. Many Scots also believe Celtic are championship standard. There isnt a world class player in the SPL like the 90s. Many decent Celtic/rangers have tried and failed to make it in the prem. most of the lads playing for Celtic have either never played about SPL level or have failed in the prem and moved up north.

It’s not worth getting stressed about, the standard is far less. A lot of the SPL wouldn’t cope in league one.

That being said, Aberdeen are clearly a decent outfit and although won’t be favourites they will be up for it and a difficult opponent

Some folk getting their knickers in an unnecessary twist. We are rightly underdogs and am happy to be so. Expect Burnley to be a better version of Hearts so hopes not overly raised,....  like they weren't v Ipswich  36 years ago ;).

Savour these occasions loons.    COYR

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Many decent Celtic/rangers have tried and failed to make it in the prem.

Pains me to defend the Glasgow unwashed but there are also a lot of EPL players who have failed in the SPL.  I give you Tore Andre Flo and your own Joey Barton to name but two.

most of the lads playing for Celtic have either never played about SPL level

Most of the Celtic players have played Champions League football.

Regardless of the overall standard of both leagues this will be a decent tie.  Never totally convinced about the quality of the EPL below the moneybags top six teams so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.  Two decent teams, two good managers, bring it on.

No team in the SPFL would struggle in League 1 with the exception possibly of Livingston who just got promoted. As I have said before, ourselves Hibs and sevco would easily cope in the Championship. Hearts and Kilmarnock would probably yoyo between the Championship and League 1 and the rest sit comfortably in League 1 with Motherwell challenging for promotion and getting it now and again.

Calm down I’m only giving an option about the standard of Scottish football. Many Scots also believe Celtic are championship standard. There isnt a world class player in the SPL like the 90s. Many decent Celtic/rangers have tried and failed to make it in the prem. most of the lads playing for Celtic have either never played about SPL level or have failed in the prem and moved up north.

It’s not worth getting stressed about, the standard is far less. A lot of the SPL wouldn’t cope in league one.

That being said, Aberdeen are clearly a decent outfit and although won’t be favourites they will be up for it and a difficult opponent

Not sure who's getting excited or stressed?

Nae sure where you're getting that info in bold from?

What about folk like Boruc, Wanayama, Van Dijk and Forster. Even Stevens Davis and Naysmith? Charlie Adam played for Liverpool ffs.

Your own (former) player Scott Arfield was never a top, top flight player here.

Then we have, again, your former player, Barton who couldn't hack it in Scotland. Games were flying past him and he thought he'd stroll it.

James Maddison was on our bench more often than not, and now a £20 million player. Albeit we could see he had talent.

Steven Caulker another former England international doing OK here but not exactly dominating the leagues best attackers.

I'd agree some teams in the top league here would struggle in league one, but there is more of a financial gulf within the top league in Scotland than anywhere else in the world.

Being neighbours with the richest league in the world means we all have to work harder due to the financial inequalities between the two league setups e.g. the winner of the lower league cup in england gets more in prize money than the winner of the Scottish Cup.

I'd have thought your club takes more in TV money than every club in Scotland combined.

So the gap at the top is less than a lot of english arrogance will ever admit.