Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Official Europa League Thread 2018/19

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice the BBC online headlines are The rangers and Hibs?????

Would have thought we'd at lease be worth a mention as it's against a side from the BBC's favourite spuked-over league.

I know we finally get mentioned in the text eventually, but......

My brother just sent me a screenshot of the Engurlish page, which has the Burnley v Dons as the top story.

With a picture of Steven Gerrard of course.

Was in the home end when Cheltenham beat them in the FA cup in 2002.

Remember goading their keeper about "working in a chip shop", (because he was Greek) didn't make much sense to me but it seemed to amuse the guffies.

That and my mate punching me in the nose when the second went in.

I think it's at least a more predictable game than we've had in the past. No travel issues, no weather issues, they are in preseason too, and we will know their players. They aren't spectacular by any means, all depends on our starting 11. Two or three more decent signings needed before we face them but I think they are beatable. As someone mentioned already, Everton struggled against Limassol, no reason we cannot challenge Burnley. Yes, 7th in 'the best league in the world' but they're a blue collar team with no thrills.

It's like drawing Celtic away in 3rd Round of Scottish Cup and just not filling me with any great excitement whatsoever!!

I guess you are too young to remember drawing Ipswich in 81. Everyone from Guffland ( and most of the rest of Scotland) told us we would get a battering similar to the one Liverpool gave us the previous year. well it just didn't work out that way.....

I do concede that the team that faced Ipswich were just a wee bit special....and we all knew it

Given a certain set of circumstances weren't ever going to be facing Everton from what I was told.  Back in the 1980's Ipswich Town and Aberdeen were probably on a more even playing field as it is claimed so end outcome wasn't that big of an upset.  For whatever reason I'm quite depressed we didn't get different opposition.         

We've never played them before!

Great opportunity for McInnes to put himself in the shop window....

;)

Been thinking that as well.

For a man that harbours ambition of having another go down south, this is a real opportunity for him

Been thinking that as well.

For a man that harbours ambition of having another go down south, this is a real opportunity for him

Thought this too, but also the case for some of our players to an extent e.g. McKenna and Shinnie to prove their class and the new signings to prove a point.

For whatever reason I'm quite depressed we didn't get different opposition.       

It's outwith your control SeeBass, so don't be too disappointed - we'll get the foreign opposition you crave in the next round.  In the meantime i think it's a good way of us seeing how good we are - we're obviously more familiar with Burnley and the league they play in so it's easier to gauge than against the likes of Rijeka, Groningen etc. 

Given a certain set of circumstances weren't ever going to be facing Everton from what I was told.  Back in the 1980's Ipswich Town and Aberdeen were probably on a more even playing field as it is claimed so end outcome wasn't that big of an upset.  For whatever reason I'm quite depressed we didn't get different opposition.       

What shite are you coming out with now?

Ipswich were UEFA cup holders, the darlings of the English media.

Far far above anything bloody Burnley could be.

We'll thrash the bastards

DD. I was at the Liverpool game in 1980. We were gubbed but learned a lot from that. Ipswich the following year were complacent. They were indeed UEFA champions at the time and were a top class side that was not in doubt. They assumed that because of that pedigree that they would walk it against us. How wrong they were . Two words. Peter Weir.