Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer Transfer chat

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.thefootballlife.co.uk/post/173192237431/aberdeen-summer-scouting-report-2018

Shamelessly stolen from P&B

Pie in the sky stuff or what  ???

Just finished reading that, a very interesting one at that. I doubt we’ll ever seen someone that far out of the box from McInnes though. It’s not his form. Made a lot of points that we’ve been utterly frustrated by for the past two if not more  seasons. Nice to read it being written by a non dons fan.

I see Martin Canning has confirmed that Ali Crawford is leaving Accies at the end of the season. Hibs the paper talk destination.

With Christie's loan finishing, McLean away, Stewart unlikely to be signed permanently, I reckon we could do worse than at least ask Crawford the question. Get him on a few years contract and add him to our squad. Would at least hope we ask him.

I see Martin Canning has confirmed that Ali Crawford is leaving Accies at the end of the season. Hibs the paper talk destination.

With Christie's loan finishing, McLean away, Stewart unlikely to be signed permanently, I reckon we could do worse than at least ask Crawford the question. Get him on a few years contract and add him to our squad. Would at least hope we ask him.

Hibs are reported to be interested in Crawford but he would be a great signing for us.

I think Stewart will be here on a permanent deal, i agree Crawford would be a decent signing. :thumbsup:

Do not think Stewart has done enough to get a permanent deal here. Especially if we had to pay a fee. He is a shadow of the player who was at Dundee.

Do not think Stewart has done enough to get a permanent deal here. Especially if we had to pay a fee. He is a shadow of the player who was at Dundee.

50/50 on this one.

Think he's shown glimpses and would benefit from a run in the team. But he's so slow, and I had it in my head that he was a lot more dynamic when he was at Dundee.

If he's going for free I'd take him, but wouldn't spend any sort of fee or another loan.

As mentioned, Stewart is far too slow and far too one footed for us to sign permanently. Knowing McInnes that probably means he will get a 4 year contract.

Crawford is a difficult one. Bags of ability but I've always felt he is just too lightweight and easily bullied by a robust opposition midfielder. Pretty sure he is Hibs bound anyway but on balance we probably should ask the question.

I don't anyone could argue about the Stewarts lack of pace, but he does have a good footballing brain,  which is better than any amount of pace, IMO. I think with a decent manager we could have a very good player on our hands, but I just don't see him as a McInnes type player.

I would be happy if he signed up.

I don't anyone could argue about the Stewarts lack of pace, but he does have a good footballing brain,  which is better than any amount of pace, IMO. I think with a decent manager we could have a very good player on our hands, but I just don't see him as a McInnes type player.

I would be happy if he signed up.

Agree with this. Stewart seemed to be bombed out after the January Ibrox game - he had a nightmare of a night in fairness but he certainly wasn't alone in that.  McInnes doesn't use him properly and that night was just one example of it throughout the season - he should be played centrally, behind the striker in our set up (if DM insists on keeping that system).  If he isn't going to be played there, there's no point in going for him on a permanent contract. 

Would help if we played Stewart on the left where he was at his best for Dundee, I'd like us to keep him as I think there's a serious player in him.

Would help if we played Stewart on the left where he was at his best for Dundee, I'd like us to keep him as I think there's a serious player in him.

Very much this, we don't use him how they did.  It's hardly like it's a unique situation with our manager.

He played on the left versus the huns and was pap. He's probably been at his best through the middle. It's all very good saying he played well on the left for Dundee, but his tracking back - as any Dundee fan will tell you - was awful for them. Again, it stems from not having either an additional centre midfielder. We could afford to put Stewart out left if Considine wasn't going to be left exposed, but that would definitely be the case. If Shinnie could have played a good portion of games at left back, depending on the opposition, then we'd have had that opportunity to put Stewart out wide, but does anyone really think a Stewart and Considine combination would be wise? I think McInnes genuinely - for whatever fucking reason - thought Tansey would provide us that option in midfield that'd allow us to try different things at different times, and Stewart probably would have fitted into that, but we're way to weak to afford the luxury of Stewart on a wing, and especially on the left. 

Hearing T.W passed his medical & will be announced in next couple of days.

I'm honestly ok with this. He's 24, maybe he has matured. Cheap and low risk, high reward. Can't be any worse than Maynard. We'll have May and Cosgrove, does make me wonder if we'll say goodbye to Rooney this summer. We need to be spend all our money on replacing almost an entire midfield anyway!

Say what you like about DM but he is tremendous at getting players onside.  He won't be unaware of his past so he must have had assurances over his future conduct from the player and feels he can work with him. 

It will all depend on how much of a roaster he actually is.  Griffiths and Stokes spring to mind, let's hope he follows the formers path.

I see that piece Big Al shared highlights a lot of potential new foreign recruits.  Do folk really think it might be time to add a bit more 'culture' to our ranks??  I don't want to be going back to the days of Nikola Vujadinovic and Davide Grassi as exotic as their surnames sounded!!

I see that piece Big Al shared highlights a lot of potential new foreign recruits.  Do folk really think it might be time to add a bit more 'culture' to our ranks??  I don't want to be going back to the days of Nikola Vujadinovic and Davide Grassi as exotic as their surnames sounded!!

I hear you but for every Nikola and Davide there is a Peter Van Der Ven, Theo Ten Caat, and even Paul Mason. These guys were unknowns at the time and became excellent players for us. Not quite the same but more recently Ferne Snoyl and Karim Touzani weren't too bad either. I think there are affordable foreign markets out there that we fail to look into. I'd be inclined to hire a scout or two who lives in a country and try to tap into a market. I'd rather we signed up and coming Scots and feel we miss the boat on young homegrown talent, but 2-3 foreigners in the squad (work permits permitting) isn't necessarily a bad thing and no different to taking a risk on Maynard, Donervon Daniels, or Jerel Ilfi!!

Agree that Watt coming in probably signals the end of Rooney with us. The way we play these days probably means that going forward he would be a square peg in a round hole. I do hope that the club allows him to go on a free, which should net him a nice signing on fee wherever he ends up, in view of his service.

My school friend Gareth is Technical Director at the Ghanaian based soccer academy 'Right To Dream'.  I could pass on his details to Deek and Doc for the African scene seems quite good nowadays compared with 15 to 20 years ago.  Gareth has produced a lot of talent most going to Scandinavia but one or two have been pushed towards Manchester City like.  I actually think they have some link with most recent Premiership champions. 

Would not be surprised to see a certain Mr Hayes back in a red shirt come August

I hope not to be honest. We got the best of him and got good money for him. Now he's going to be coming back from a serious injury having barely played for a year, and is the wrong side of 30. Will struggle to hit the same heights he once did as regularly.

A younger, fitter, Gary Mackay-Steven is a better option.

I hope not to be honest. We got the best of him and got good money for him. Now he's going to be coming back from a serious injury having barely played for a year, and is the wrong side of 30. Will struggle to hit the same heights he once did as regularly.

A younger, fitter, Gary Mackay-Steven is a better option.

I’m not a fan of taking players back but we lose Christie and Stewart (who I’m not fussed if he comes back.) I’d take Hayes on loan if it came up and was affordable. He’s returning from a broken leg - while bad enough nothing like ligament damage and no reason a full recovery doesn’t occur. Ronaldo is the wrong side of 30 too, Hayes would be a good addition.

Watt would be a big gamble and given our squad size not sure it’s one we can afford to take. Already have Cosgrove as a project player so surely if we are replacing Rooney (fair chance he will ask to leave as much as us releasing him) we should be looking for a proven goal scorer to replace him.