Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McInnes to stay with the Dons

The folk still questioning McInnes need to take a look at themselves. Thank fuck social media etc wasn't around 30 odd years ago.

The only difference between this recent pantomime and when legends like Willie Miller and Alex Ferguson both turned down moves to the hun was that all talks, discussions and offers were done in the proper way, by direct contact between clubs, not spun out like a third rate Aussie soap opera through every conceivable outlet.

Bottom line is he told them to do one, for that alone he deserves a hell of a fucking lot of respect.

Don’t think anyone is questioning him as a person, what he did Deserves respect and took a lot of folk by surprise. However it doesn’t take away from the fact that he has some serious flaws as a manager that this season has completely exposed. Everyone will get behind him but we should always critique things no? Hardly in the same boat as the two names you mentioned but still, deserving of support and respect.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

BB, you're right, the performances this season have been poor but the team is so different to last season. No Hayes, McGinn, Taylor plus the new players need time to bed in. We've played less than half the season and new players don't gel overnight.

A lot of hysteria on this site the last few days, amazing how quickly fans can start to turn. The bottom line is we have lost the last two games, nothing more. If the losses had been to Motherwell and Kilmarnock then not a lot would have been said.

Derek has shown loyalty to the club, time for the fans to show some loyalty back and support the manager.

I'm not sure a grudging acceptance of the full weight of the media saying it's a done deal is concomitant with hysteria but neither is getting behind the manager a quantum of clap happiness.

The only facts we know are that the hun made no official offer, no official permission was given for them to approach the guy and he decided to stay rather than join the huns.  The rest is conjecture.  I had stuck by my view that he would be stupid to go and only thought he would in the last two or three days.  What we've learned (again) is that the weegia shit storm around the cheeks is a complete pish.  Nothing more than jobs for the boys, myopic speculation and entitlement.

A win tonight would be good though.

Does the fact he told them to do one mean that all the issues with the side disappear?

Why don't you take a look at the results and performances and team selection over the last 6 weeks instead of happy clapping around here telling the rest of us what we must think of him because of this decision which he allowed to drag on to the detriment of the side?

Get over yourself  :wave:

The team selections and results can of course be questioned, but him going to the Huns would have had ramifications beyond us losing a good manager to a rival. He picked us over them whether you like it or not, and you're ultimately just going to need to get over it.

Also, "happy clapping" makes you sound like a greetin' faced wee lassie FYI.

The team selections and results can of course be questioned, but him going to the Huns would have had ramifications beyond us losing a good manager to a rival. He picked us over them whether you like it or not, and you're ultimately just going to need to get over it.

There's nothing to get over you zoomer. I thought it was a good time and opportunity for a change, he's not going - it's not put me up nor down. 

To pretend that everything is fantastic is the act of the happy clapper, FYI.

You misinterpret him. You have no idea what he’s saying.

There's nothing to get over you zoomer. I thought it was a good time and opportunity for a change, he's not going - it's not put me up nor down. 

To pretend that everything is fantastic is the act of the happy clapper, FYI.

Mmmmm.

The poster you directed your "happy clapper" jibe at was on about respecting McInnes for the choice he made - didn't see anything which suggested he thought everything was fantastic on the pitch - unless every post needs to come with a disclaimer?

People can be delighted that he's here, but hope for an improvement on the park from the poor run of form we're on at the moment.

Does the fact he told them to do one mean that all the issues with the side disappear?

Why don't you take a look at the results and performances and team selection over the last 6 weeks instead of happy clapping around here telling the rest of us what we must think of him because of this decision which he allowed to drag on to the detriment of the side?

The problem is that your making two points here. Surely the latter point "he allowed to drag on" is utter shite and we can all see that now? He had no offer. There was nothing to allow/disallow, the situation was outwith his control. Entirely. When the huns made their move, that was when the offer was there. You seem bitter, still, that he acted professionally, waiting for an approach, mulling it over and then deciding it wasn't for him. I think that's the only thing he could possibly have done, and those of us questioning him (including me) have to accept that we were wrong.

Since the huns were rumoured to be approaching McInnes, we've played Motherwell and Rangers (twice) and Killie. Our line-ups against the hun (first game) and Motherwell were shite, but not untypical of the way McInnes approaches games like these, so obviously have nothing to do with the speculation. The final hun game, we (and McInnes especially) looked affected by the rumours and I don't think we can take huge issue with that given the intense press hassle.

We're having a poor season, but actually our points total is pretty good considering we are seriously weakened across the pitch. It comes down to quality of signings, and I think we have to give McInnes a bit of time here as he had a huge - enforced - clear out in the summer. I suggested at the time that he was going to need at least a 100% strike rate in the transfer market to replace McGinn, Hayes, Jack, Taylor and add another striker or he'd have to buy in at least 8 players to hope that we can get 50% of them to click. It seems that we have the makings of a decent squad, but are probably 3 players short of a team that can finish second (centre mid, winger, striker). I think that's reasonable given the turnover of players. We simply need to grind out results (as we have been doing in the main) until January and act then. McInnes has done more than enough to allow him this time to  re-build and we probably owe him that. His obvious flaws aside, at present we are better with him than without him. Hopefully the rejection of the huns will galvanise us until January. In the scheme of things, he's nae bad. His points returns in recent seasons suggest he's capable of getting us to second place. We had an hysterical point at the mid-point of last season, where we turned it round and had an excellent end to the season, there is every change to suggest we could do the same again. Pragmatism suggests McInnes will be our best option.

I'm scunnered with having to continue watching his nancy boy tombola teams.

Honestly, bored of McInnes. He's now holding us back.

Really? Were you scunnered when we demolished Dundee 7-0, Motherwell 7-2 and Partick 6-0? We played fitba we haven't seen since Miller was in charge last season. He's bought relatively badly in the summer it seems, but that can be put right in January. 

Still a bit shocked but glowing inside about the "get tae fuck" delivered to der Hun yesterday.

Our form has been god awful since the start of November so lets hope any uncertainty that was reflected in the team's poor performances has been put to bed and we start picking up the 3 points week in week out as we have done past 2 seasons.

Right now we do have quite a lengthy injury list so whilst I'm hopeful the bounce we get from yesterday will see us pick up the points, Dundee away is never an easy place to go so a draw wouldn't be disastrous.

COYR!

The problem is that your making two points here. Surely the latter point "he allowed to drag on" is utter shite and we can all see that now? He had no offer. There was nothing to allow/disallow, the situation was outwith his control. Entirely.

You really believe that? 

Even if that is true, and I don't believe it is for a second, why didn't he say to Milne long before now "Even if they come for me, I'm not interested. I've spoken to my family and it wouldn't be the right move for me." ?

I get that what you have posed here is a question, although I don't quite get why that is specifically aimed at my post because there's nothing in what I said that indicates that is what I meant.

But, since you asked, no, no it doesn't. Him telling the hun to ram it will not magically make his selections against celtic more attack minded and in their face. It wont see him drop Logan for a couple of games to sort himself out, it wont see McLean dropped to the bench or Tansey shipped to Formartine either, but it has hopefully given the team a bit of a lift. Lets see how it goes tonight if the games on.

allowed what to drag on? Do you think that Milne would have wanted him to shut down all speculation (and remember, it was just speculation) just incase the hun magically found a couple of million to give us for him?

The press release that would have said "I'm not interested in a job that I've not been offered" is pretty nonsensical.

As for happy clapping....don't be a fud.

There is a part of me that is pleased that he is staying, better the devil you know.

There was a part of me when, resigned to him going, was a little excited that a new manager would bring fresh ideas and impetus.

Now he's staying I'm pleased. I wanted him when Calderwood was sacked and was pretty worried in the summer during the whole Sunderland month.

But;

This is the second time in six months we have been through this and both times it has had a negative impact on the club. In the summer it put us behind in our recruitment and this time has impacted on our form and thus our league position. That cannot happen again. There needs to be genuine commitment, not sound bites.

The two days of not turning up to work following the refusal of our board for the huns to officially speak to McInnes stinks, and questions need to be addressed regarding this. This is not forgive and forget regardless of how funny it is that he's not going there.

I hope, that if nothing else, McInnes has a commitment from our board for additional funds for strengthening the team.

I also hope that there is renewed focus and an admittance that his summer recruitment has not been the best along with the drive to correct this in January.

It'll take a minimum of second and/or the Scottish Cup along with points from both celtic and sevco to put it right in my head.

I get that what you have posed here is a question, although I don't quite get why that is specifically aimed at my post because there's nothing in what I said that indicates that is what I meant.

But, since you asked, no, no it doesn't. Him telling the hun to ram it will not magically make his selections against celtic more attack minded and in their face. It wont see him drop Logan for a couple of games to sort himself out, it wont see McLean dropped to the bench or Tansey shipped to Formartine either, but it has hopefully given the team a bit of a lift. Lets see how it goes tonight if the games on.

Absolutely.

allowed what to drag on? Do you think that Milne would have wanted him to shut down all speculation (and remember, it was just speculation) just incase the hun magically found a couple of million to give us for him?

The press release that would have said "I'm not interested in a job that I've not been offered" is pretty nonsensical.

Why would there have to be a press release?  It's quite simple; all DM had to do was tell his agent and Milne that was the case. They then inform the huns that on the back of the speculation (which had been dictated by the huns) McInnes would not like to be considered for the job.

As for happy clapping....don't be a fud.

:) I won't be a fud if you stop the happy clapping.  ;)

Really? Were you scunnered when we demolished Dundee 7-0, Motherwell 7-2 and Partick 6-0? We played fitba we haven't seen since Miller was in charge last season. He's bought relatively badly in the summer it seems, but that can be put right in January.

No. Not during those games.

We needed a manager to get us to the group stages in Europe to progress as a club. A manager that understands what defeats in certain games feel like to fans rather than coming out with arrogant trust me and the players shite.

We've reached McInnes' glass ceiling.

You really believe that? 

Even if that is true, and I don't believe it is for a second, why didn't he say to Milne long before now "Even if they come for me, I'm not interested. I've spoken to my family and it wouldn't be the right move for me." ?

Believe it, don't believe it, whatever helps you sleep at night.

I personally don't think a statement saying he wasn't going would've stopped either the press campaign or the Huns sniffing after him, irrespective of how much of a cunt he'd have made of himself if he'd turned down a job he wasn't offered. You can bet the Huns would've released a statement mocking him if he did that.

He's never going there now.

Critical analysis of the team, players and manager going forward is key. Nothing else really matters.

No. Not during those games.

We needed a manager to get us to the group stages in Europe to progress as a club. A manager that understands what defeats in certain games feel like to fans rather than coming out with arrogant trust me and the players shite.

We've reached McInnes' glass ceiling.

You could be right, but it's a decent glass ceiling until we get the club on a better footing with a decent succession plan in place (not just for manager, but for the rest of the staff).

However, it wasn't - necessarily - McInnes that didn't get us in to the group stages in Europe. We simply didn't have a good enough team. If the board - and I assume, here, that it was the board - had sanctioned a move for Moult, we'd have been there. The limits of our team were what didn't get us through as much as McInnes' limitations. We had no striker that we could pick away to Appolon that would have got us through.