Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scott Wright

it was bad planning in that he hasnt a clue how to deploy stewart plus also letting Frank Ross go (another winger ?) the decision in isolation makese sense as you say but overall poor decision making

No, I'm saying the opposite. Overall, the decision was correct, but in isolation it looks like poor planning.

Has he let Frank Ross go? I thought he was injured?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm aware Frank Ross is still with us but unlikely to get a contract extension and his back injury isn't responding to treatment.

It was absolutely the correct decision to send Wright to Dundee. He wasn't going to get much game time ahead of GMS, McGinn and Stewart. And would possibly have hindered the progress of McLennan (who has without doubt benefitted most from GMS long periods of absence). As it happens, he's only played 5 times for Dundee. Had a very good start, I'm not sure if he's injured (if he is there hasn't been any news of it though) but suspect what I've always thought...…...he just isn't good enough consistently to play in the top level of Scottish football. He will return to us in the summer with 2 years left on his contract and I suspect we will allow him to move on if he can fix himself up with another club. Not even convinced he has the physique that will allow him to succeed at a Championship club.

EDIT.... this is the wrong thread for this discussion mods feel free to move it

I disagree. Wright is of the age that he either needs to do something or get shipped. Another 6 months sitting on our bench with the occasional appearance here and there would have done him no good. It might have been useful for us in the short term, but we've got to put the development of our youth first and if that means we lose out on a player for the few games he might have been useful in then so be it. A good run of games at Dundee - if he gets them - is far more than we could have offered him. After 3 months rusting on the bench since January too, we'd probably end up with a worse player out wide than Stewart who he'd be brought in to replace. To me, it wasn't bad planning, it was just a choice that had to be made. I think McInnes took that short term approach with Wright a year ago and it totally backfired then, so he had to make up for it this time round.

Have to disagree.

He would have got 6 games minimum if he was still here plus there have been times since January he would given us a different option off the bench so enough games to develop further. We have too small a squad with too many bench fillers who offer zero attacking options to let a player like Wright go out on loan.

Have to disagree.

He would have got 6 games minimum if he was still here plus there have been times since January he would given us a different option off the bench so enough games to develop further. We have too small a squad with too many bench fillers who offer zero attacking options to let a player like Wright go out on loan.

But he hasn't even managed 6 games for Dundee.....Don't you think that speaks volumes?

it was bad planning in that he hasnt a clue how to deploy stewart plus also letting Frank Ross go (another winger ?) the decision in isolation makese sense as you say but overall poor decision making

I think it was good planning, trying to get Wright regular games. DM made the assumption he'd have GMS and Mcginn, plus Stewart, McLennan, and even May to play wide. He couldn't offer Wright the minutes he needs. Turns out GMS is lost, Mcginn past it, plus Stewart and May gash wide. Mclennan is learning not to fall over the ball. Ho hum.

But he hasn't even managed 6 games for Dundee.....Don't you think that speaks volumes?

According to my brother who is a season ticket holder at Dens Wright’s lack of game time is down to the ineptitude of McIntyre rather than Wright’s form.

• 4 months later...

Obviously am gutted for the loon, suspect this will be the end of him with us, by the time he returns he will be nearly 23 with a year left on his contract. This season I feel was make or break for him and this has totally ruined his chances.

Agreed, but I do think that we'll let him see his contract out. See if he's able to do anything post injury. We're seriously low on creativity now. Really should have got another creative midfielder in.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Jute said:

Out for 6 weeks at least. Just when it looked like he was going to fulfil his potential. As you say lad has no luck.

Brutal for him, just never ends! Every time he hits some decent form he gets crocked. Wish him a speedy recovery and hopefully a clear run after that. He and Hedges were going to be integral to any success this season.