Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The Golf Thread

Lived in LA over 12 years. There is so much to do here, you can be a tourist with the sightseeing etc. or you can do music, sport, art, the beach etc. All depends on your interests. If you get a chance go and watch a Galaxy game - I'd be interested on your take on their stadium and the level of play. I've done a couple of coaching courses and played at the Stub Hub facility, pretty cool venue, but haven't been to a game sine Beckham left.

• 2 months later...

Played Monifeith for the first time yesterday, rather spiffing I'd say. Will be back.

The 3x clubhouses put the 3 links clubs here to shame as well, plus a fantastic venison pie to finish. Fit fine  :thumbsup:

Monifieth is a good track and from your enthusiasm for the catering, I'm guessing you went to the clubhouse furthest from the car park, as the food is superb in there (Monifieth GC I think). Same caterer who does the Carnoustie GC where I'll be eating this week at the Dunhill. Fuck paying on-course prices for a substandard burger when you can get a quality sit doon meal for less.

Monifieth is a good track and from your enthusiasm for the catering, I'm guessing you went to the clubhouse furthest from the car park, as the food is superb in there (Monifieth GC I think). Same caterer who does the Carnoustie GC where I'll be eating this week at the Dunhill. Fuck paying on-course prices for a substandard burger when you can get a quality sit doon meal for less.

Actually the middle one, the Broughty. We had no choice, it was a 4BBB open, but apparently the clubs take turns at "hosting" so that they cut costs when it's not that busy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Monty

Thomas (Bjorn) is probably looking at the best team that we've had for, well, almost ever. 

That is nonsense from big Colin and if you look at how the American team is shaping up we should be bricking it because that is very possibly their best ever team.

Loved Monty back in the day for the heart on the sleeve attitude but he should have moved overseas and played on the US tour.  Liked too much to be the big fish in the small pond so he could feel like Mr Important and his lack of courage to test himself against the best on a more regular basis cost him his major.

The team Monty captained at Celtic Manor would have wiped the floor with the team that we put out in Paris this year, regardless of who Bjorn decides to pick as his wildcards.

Bizarre comments from Monty. Good God how can he ever compare what looks like being the European team with  the ones of the mid eighties and early nineties containing the likes of Faldo, Ballesteros, Langer, Lyle, Olazabal and Woosnam is beyond belief. And as said earlier, even the team he captained at Celtic Manor would wipe the slate with that of this year's likelies .

I predict a winning margin for USA of 5 points or greater

Loved Monty back in the day for the heart on the sleeve attitude but he should have moved overseas and played on the US tour.  Liked too much to be the big fish in the small pond so he could feel like Mr Important and his lack of courage to test himself against the best on a more regular basis cost him his major.

The team Monty captained at Celtic Manor would have wiped the floor with the team that we put out in Paris this year, regardless of who Bjorn decides to pick as his wildcards.

To be fair he was, at times, treated shamefully by some of the US galleries, and he didn’t have the temperament to deal with it. But why bother. I preferred watching the European tour anyway - more variety of courses. I say “preferred” because Golf has sold its soul and I rarely see any of it now.

Still one of he greatest ever Ryder cup players.

I say “preferred” because Golf has sold its soul 

What do you mean when you say that Kowalski, by it being on Sky?

I was always a fan of Monty, but he did come across as an immature sore loser bellend at times, especially didn’t help him that he was a Scot who didn’t sound particularly Scottish. Similar to Sam Torrance and Sandy Lyle, Lyle the better player but big Sam always a fans favorite.

The bellendness of Cohlin is equal to the bellendness of Sam.

Sandy Lyle is MILES ahead, both in terms of achievement and personality.

Most of Scotland's pro golfers in my lifetime are bellends.

As are many Scots of course but golf has a disproportionately high ratio.

While I was in my teens at the time I don’t recall Lyle having much of a personality at all. Came up in recent years if I recall when overlooked for Ryder cup captaincy, his ability to connect with people. I was a Lyle fan, my golf childhood hero, but I always felt Sam was favored by fans because he appeared ‘more Scottish’ and was a more likeable guy.

While I was in my teens at the time I don’t recall Lyle having much of a personality at all. Came up in recent years if I recall when overlooked for Ryder cup captaincy, his ability to connect with people. I was a Lyle fan, my golf childhood hero, but I always felt Sam was favored by fans because he appeared ‘more Scottish’ and was a more likeable guy.

You're correct in that Sandy was perceived - or wrongly misinterpreted to be strictly accurate - as lacking in depth of personality but that of itself is one of the biggest problems in the Scottish psyche.

Some humans respect achievement more than "likeability". Most of us who work in results-based fields don't put a great deal of value in their interpersonal skills when, to be frank in an individual sport and pursuit, it's totally unimportant.

Bob Torrance nailed his own son perfectly. He was always more interested in the fame rather than working hard to get success. A lazy underachieving arsehole in other words.

Some humans respect achievement more than "likeability". Most of us who work in results-based fields don't put a great deal of value in their interpersonal skills when, to be frank in an individual sport and pursuit, it's totally unimportant.

I think in today's media driven world it is much more important than in the past Rocket.

Sportsmen that are willing to give the press their time and can come across as likeable/approachable generally get a better ride from the media.  Andy Murray has gradually learnt this after a tough start and it seems like on the whole most people now back him and want him to be successful. 

Others who go out of their way to be particularly arrogant and non-compliant with the press are the first ones that the press stick the knife into when things go wrong.  The press have so much influence over how people are perceived by the public that it can make life very difficult if sportsmen don't have them on their side.