Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The January window

I think we are despised because we are the one major club in Scotland that has no link whatsoever to either of the Glasgow tinks, we hate them both in equal measure and have done for years, long before it became fashionable to do so.  Most other supporters may claim to support other teams, but most have a favourite bigot brother.

Also the fact we have won TWO European trophies is still a bitter one for many.

[/quote

Well said, standing free since 1903.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had high hopes for him earlyon.If it was an open pacy game he could look good,eg that Falkirk cup game.He was making some great cheeky wee runs around the box in that one,but in a lot of other games got muscled out or disappeared

Got rave reviews early part of his UTD career.Not sure what happened since then

Think this time next year Smith will be playing in the Highland League. Just not up to the physical side of the game, says a lot he couldnt get a game at United ahead of such legends as Murray and erm erm erm whoever else they have attack wise

From various twitter and fezbook posts I've seen it was a falling out with the manager that stopped him from playing. Seemed to have impressed the local fans anyway. Either way, I don't disagree with tour post though, maybe not Highland League though.

I would say Cammy SMith did have a lot of potential but something is going wrong down at Pittodrie with our efforts to bring through youth. Not every kid we sign can be useless and not make the grade which appears to be the case at the moment.

A real gripe of mine is our inability to bring through our own players, something which is costing us dearly and something I thought we would have learned lessons from when JC was in charge.

One of the problems with the youth system is that we're in a generation of instant production. Young players have to produce immediately, they don't get 10-20 games to settle in. Managers lose their jobs if they have that kind of poor run so they're not willing to take the risk.

The big argument for bringing back reserve league football is to help create more prepared young players. Young guys played with old pros, experienced guys, top players coming back from injury etc. The reserve league created players more adequately equipped for 1st team football. U20 league is great for getting young guys games but they play each other and the jump to the first team is significant. Every club is dealing with this, not just us.

He said we had players who were technically good but still weren't "men". Alluded to mental and physical toughness (or lack thereof) being an issue.

I remember reading or hearing an interview with Phil Brown (I know, I know) a few years ago. He was adamant that the players he had at Southend were not any worse technically or poorer physically in terms of fitness, strength and speed than the players he managed in the EPL with Hull or when he was assistant to Allardyce at Bolton. He maintained the only difference was that mental step up. The belief they had in themselves as players. I think it's something you see at all levels in all sports. I'ts the difference between good also ran's and winners.

One of the problems with the youth system is that we're in a generation of instant production. Young players have to produce immediately, they don't get 10-20 games to settle in. Managers lose their jobs if they have that kind of poor run so they're not willing to take the risk.

The big argument for bringing back reserve league football is to help create more prepared young players. Young guys played with old pros, experienced guys, top players coming back from injury etc. The reserve league created players more adequately equipped for 1st team football. U20 league is great for getting young guys games but they play each other and the jump to the first team is significant. Every club is dealing with this, not just us.

This, coupled with the fact that in the last few years the bar has been significantly raised for anyone looking to break into the first team.

When we were shite and at the wrong end of the table, we could afford to blood lots of youth (and promptly lose the most promising to other clubs).  Now we are consistently 2nd, the pressure on maintaining that position means youth players have to be up to a much higher level to take the risk on giving them game time in place of one of our regulars.

The return of the reserve league would be a big step towards mitigating this.  It's utterly beyond me why it went away in the first place.

When we were shite and at the wrong end of the table, we could afford to blood lots of youth (and promptly lose the most promising to other clubs).  Now we are consistently 2nd, the pressure on maintaining that position means youth players have to be up to a much higher level to take the risk on giving them game time in place of one of our regulars.

But surely that risk is being massively overstated by Deek? There are plenty of games where we've been comfortable but the youngsters haven't featured. Comfortable in the sense that if we took on one young player for one player that is perhaps tiring or just not having a great game that our airses wouldn't collapse and we end up losing the game. We have raised our standard to the extent that we're good enough to carry a young loon if required.

I don't see it as 15-20 mins here and there, that doesn't help that much. Young players need to experience full games consistently, playing when games are competitive and need to be won. They have to deal with that stress, pressure, and the battle. Not coming on with the security of a lead and the competitive edge has gone.

Bad example since it's an example of overplaying, but I'm meaning like Black, Simpson, Cooper, Hewitt, then Jess and Booth too, all who started regularly at a young age and developed accordingly.

According to some on twitter, Cardiff have dropped their interest in Hayes. Would be very pleased if true. Would love him to stay until at least the summer

I don't know much about the whole transfer process but I presume if Cardiff were interested in buying Jonny they would have been watching him tear Dundee apart on Friday night.  So if they have lost interest after that then they must be skint or completely stupid. I read they have made another bid.

All this talk of Hayes maybe leaving McGinn maybe leaving and very little of the fact Jack is out of contract in the summer. He could leave now for a fee to another club and as he has so little on his contract that fee wouldn't be much.

I would be much much more concerned about this happening before the window closes than Hayes/McGinn leaving..................

Article in press today does sound like he will be off in the summer.

A few reports that Cardiff have submitted a new offer for Hayes worth £600k.

lol. What a bunch of cunts.

They've let a player go "by mutual consent" 29 years old plays similar position to Hayes that they allegedly paid £2 million for in the summer.

If it's right that it was a 2 year deal and they paid £2 million, I'd say a rough guess would be the lad was on £15k - £20k a week, if we split the difference and call it £17500 pw that's about a £300k saving on his wages for the rest of the season or £1.2 million over the length of his contract.

Cardiff have been told to get real twice, you would have imagined they've been given a figure from which we'd be willing to negotiate from.

Someone form the club should start submitting stupid bids for their players. A toaster and Calderwood's tombola for Junior Hoilett. 

My understanding is that the initial bid was a cash payment of £250K with the additional £250k payable depending on appearances, international call ups etc, which is even more derisory than a straight £500K bid.

Second bid was £300K cash etc.

No idea on this third bid, but they seem to be under the impression that we need the money.

My understanding is that the initial bid was a cash payment of £250K with the additional £250k payable depending on appearances, international call ups etc, which is even more derisory than a straight £500K bid.

Second bid was £300K cash etc.

No idea on this third bid, but they seem to be under the impression that we need the money.

Completely laughable and probably shows what those in the english leagues think of the scottish game.  At least Sunderland were respectful.  Just because they got Super Kev (never forgive them for that) for pittance doesn't mean were in the same position. Stupid Welsh cunts.

Daily Mail reporting we want £1million for Hayes and that Cardiff's 3rd bid is in the region of £750k.

Ah, the good old Daily Mail.  £1million seems almost as derisory as £500k.  I'd imagine the club would be valuing at around the £1.5-2million mark for a January window sale, particularly if Cardiff are insisting on making up the difference with addons.