Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The January window

Derek - From our perspective, we're now concentrating on the Celtic game and Jonny is in the squad.

There was a bid in for Jonny over the weekend but it was still way below our valuation. As far as I'm concerned, it's now dead.

You can't make clubs give them their players so we'll go with the squad we have for the second half of the season

:thumbsup:

Doesn't sound like anyone will be coming in.  Apparently the May deal just didn't work out (according to Chris Harvey).

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, pretty much silence here......is that it? Another very disappointing window if that is indeed the case. Our squad is smaller and we've even less cover now. Injuries and suspensions, particularly to Jack, McLean, or Shinnie could certainly hurt us. Does Shinnie have a suspension coming up? I assume O'Connor is our back up for the holding mid positions??

For the last three years we've stuttered to the finish. Can't help but believe 2-3 players in January adds freshness, an increased competitive edge for playing time etc. While the January window is a tough one those around us have done business and we haven't improved things (Christie is just a straight swap for Maddison.) Hopefully one or two pieces of business appear in the last few hours!

Well i'm delighted that the window is closed and we still have Johnny. Looking forward to him sending one of his raking 25 yarders into the dhims net tonight now.

I would like to have seen another holding midfielder brought in to challenge Jack in there but Johnny and Niall are still here so happy days.

On the holding midfielder subject, i used to think that these type of players were ten-a-penny, as all you needed was someone who was good at getting in the way of the oppo and popping the ball off to a more artistic teammate (ala Brian Grant to Jazza, Deschamps to Zizou, Makalele to... you get my drift, eh?) but we seem to find it impossible to come across such a player.  :-\

Well, what a disappointing window that was....again. Yet another window we fail to strengthen the squad and obviously weaken squad depth. Don't see Morris leaving as an issue but Burns played and Storie is one of, if not the only natural central midfield back up.

It was only a matter of time before we had serious links to our best players. Onviously glad they haven't left and would certainly be tough to replace both players. Will make a tough summer if both go then, plus wouldn't be surprised if Rooney and Lewis got offers if they play well in the second half. Add to that jack possibly going certainly a time of significant change.

I suppose any money saved between now and the end of the season, whether that be transfer fees, signing on fee's or just wages goes into the pot for next season. That might be another couple of grand a week for McGinn, Jack, an extension on Hayes contract or replacements for any of those out of contract at the end of the season.

Great news if true.

Might make sense for the player as well.  He's played in England before and it didn't work out.  Also, it doesn't seem to be well remembered, but he was widely thought to have had a disappointing first season here.  Maybe he's a guy who needs time to adjust to new surroundings, and he might not get that at a club with more money to splash about.

It's a short career and money matters, but here he knows he's going to get picked and is highly thought of by the fans.  The alternative might be spending the later stages of his career sitting on the bench or in the stand at a club whose fans barely know who he is.

Great news if it happens, Derek McInnes has been quoted as saying it won't happen in the next 48hrs but he is hopeful of getting tied up. McInnes is not the sort of guy to say something if he didn't believe it to be happening.

I suspect there will be a buy out clause in the contract and that way it will benefit both parties - Hayes gets a pay rise and Aberdeen get more money if they do sell him.

Was that their left back? Good player like, very much stood out.

Nae sure mate as wasn't at the game.

Looked at BBC report and he came on as a sub in 57th minute.

Sun article says he is a midfielder.

Son of ex St Mirren captain Tommy Turner who played football into his forties of my memory serves me right.

Regardless of outcome a pleasant change to see us looking at potential young talent in lower leagues for a change.