Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The January window

My initial reaction to signing Christie was pretty positive but the more I think about it the more I suspect it might be a mistake.

The tweet doesn't bother me personally, but I think it will seriously reduce how many mistakes or poor games he'll get before a section of our fans gets on his back.  If we end up in a situation where the boy has a couple of poor games to start, the crowd gets abusive, and everything turns sour I can see the media having a field day, largely at our expense.

There's also a point of principle I don't like here, which is that Celtic, as by far the richest club in the country, could be seen as influencing what goes on elsewhere in the league.  In theory there's nothing to stop them from lending us players we couldn't afford in an attempt to deny Sevco second, which would delight their own fans.  I'm not suggesting that's what's happening, and Sevco are the last club in the country entitled to squeal about sharp practice and manipulation, but loaning players within the same league just seems wrong to me.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main question is, have we signed Christie as a squad player or as a first team shoe in?

For as good as Maddison was/is, we've played pretty well without him. Before he went back to Norwich he was benched and we won, reasonably convincingly as well.

The balance of the team looked better with players more or less playing in their strongest positions.

If we go and disrupt that now then it's a bit of a kick in the steens for somebody, unless we are away to lose McGinn or Hayes or Considine or Jack or all of the above.

Hard to see the logic for it at this point, but maybe come the end of the window it will make a bit more sense.

The main question is, have we signed Christie as a squad player or as a first team shoe in?

For as good as Maddison was/is, we've played pretty well without him. Before he went back to Norwich he was benched and we won, reasonably convincingly as well.

The balance of the team looked better with players more or less playing in their strongest positions.

If we go and disrupt that now then it's a bit of a kick in the steens for somebody, unless we are away to lose McGinn or Hayes or Considine or Jack or all of the above.

Hard to see the logic for it at this point, but maybe come the end of the window it will make a bit more sense.

Great point. I think he's cover for McLean, or sub to come on for Considine leaving Jack in the holding role with Christie and McLean in front if we're struggling to break teams down. Similar to what Maddison was doing from the bench more recently.

Our best form has been with Shinnie in midfield alongside Jack at the start of the season and just before the break, so I don't see that being disrupted. If Christie turns out to be better (than I expect anyway) then he'll probably just take the place of McLean, with perhaps McLean moving out wide if McGinn our Hayes get injured or off form. He certainly provides cover that we need more than the Tims.

I'm with Dolly about being uncomfortable with loan signings in the same league. However, if anything, it's in the Tims' best interests to have the huns return straight to second. The bigot duopoly is perfect for their business. I do understand the loan from Deek's point of view though, it's pragmatic and easy. It'll be interesting to see how the fans take to him.

pre-match presser:

Derek - Delighted to get Ryan in and I'm sure he'll enjoy playing at Aberdeen. It's important he buys in to what we're trying to achieve .  Ryan comes across older than 21 and is very mature in the way he plays

We haven't heard from Norwich regarding James and I can't sit back and wait for them.

We're still hopeful of bringing one in before Tuesday and the situation is is still the same with Jonny, there's been no more bids.

Delighted that Graeme has extended his contract, he's a huge player for us

I don't believe Christie's been brought here with a view to sitting on the bench. Nor do I believe McLean will drop out of the side, although he may be moved positionally. How Deek finds a place for him time will tell.

There must also be the possibility that Rodgers  doesn't think he'll make it at Celtic and we're trying to get into pole position for his signature if he's let go.

We haven't heard from Norwich regarding James and I can't sit back and wait for them.

I assume this is the reasoning behind Christie - McInnes has had his fingers burnt before leaving things to the last minute.

I have no real complaints as long as it isn't to mitigate us losing someone other than Maddison (who i hope comes back up north anyway).

Another loan signing, another kick in the teeth to our young players.

Stevie May signed on loan yet?

Derek McInnes basically said the other night that we don't have good young players coming through. He's in a results based business so he can't play youngsters that are clearly not good enough for the sake of it unfortunately.

Derek McInnes basically said the other night that we don't have good young players coming through. He's in a results based business so he can't play youngsters that are clearly not good enough for the sake of it unfortunately.

He said that? Jesus, that's worrying. I understand his position, but there is another side to that. Guys like Wright, Ross, McKenna, Storie etc definitely have a lot of positives to their game, if we can develop those by giving them game time then that will surely take them to the next level? Also, it is worrying that we can't give Wright a chance in the last twenty minutes in games for fear that we might capitulate. Surely it can't be worse than being a man down, or even just a McGinn/McLean/Shinnie not firing? I'm singling out Wright, because he plays in a position where it is generally easier to give a player a shot as it is not as critical defensively.

As an aside, I think Ross looks like he might be a player. Looks like he's got all the attributes bar the physical strength, which can be built on. 

He said that? Jesus, that's worrying. I understand his position, but there is another side to that. Guys like Wright, Ross, McKenna, Storie etc definitely have a lot of positives to their game, if we can develop those by giving them game time then that will surely take them to the next level? Also, it is worrying that we can't give Wright a chance in the last twenty minutes in games for fear that we might capitulate. Surely it can't be worse than being a man down, or even just a McGinn/McLean/Shinnie not firing? I'm singling out Wright, because he plays in a position where it is generally easier to give a player a shot as it is not as critical defensively.

As an aside, I think Ross looks like he might be a player. Looks like he's got all the attributes bar the physical strength, which can be built on.

Whats even more worrying is what are we doing to address this issue? A club like Aberdeen should be producing or bringing on young players pretty easily, yet we are either failing to do this or are not recognising a talent and letting them leave or putting them out on loan. It is not acceptable that a club who needs to tighten it purse strings, isnt putting maximum effort and resources into producing good young players.

He said we had players who were technically good but still weren't "men". Alluded to mental and physical toughness (or lack thereof) being an issue.

Look at pretty much all the players who come through the youth system going back 18-20 years, they have nearly all been built like the edge of a Rizla.  Even Russell Anderson was like this. 

When you look at youngsters coming through sides down south they're all solid - may not be huge, but they've got a bit of presence about them; big shoulders and solid torso, ours are likely to fall over in a moderate wind.

Why?

When you look at youngsters coming through sides down south they're all solid - may not be huge, but they've got a bit of presence about them; big shoulders and solid torso, ours are likely to fall over in a moderate wind.

Really? Maddison? I just don't buy this. Nor do I buy that there's an issue with toughness and mental strength that can't be overcome quickly and easily with more game time. Players gain confidence and strength the more they play. Storie didn't exactly lack mental and physical strength when he played against the tims at Pittodrie, he slotted straight in, but it was clear he needed much more opportunity to play in order to develop. As it stands, he's regressed through lack of opportuntity, and we've probably set him back another couple of years and I doubt he'll make it with us. I'm not suggesting we start youngsters, but regularly giving them 20 minutes isn't beyond a club of our standing. We have a good first 11 that could easily guide a youngster through 20 minutes here and there.

Really? Maddison? I just don't buy this. Nor do I buy that there's an issue with toughness and mental strength that can't be overcome quickly and easily with more game time. Players gain confidence and strength the more they play. Storie didn't exactly lack mental and physical strength when he played against the tims at Pittodrie, he slotted straight in, but it was clear he needed much more opportunity to play in order to develop. As it stands, he's regressed through lack of opportuntity, and we've probably set him back another couple of years and I doubt he'll make it with us. I'm not suggesting we start youngsters, but regularly giving them 20 minutes isn't beyond a club of our standing. We have a good first 11 that could easily guide a youngster through 20 minutes here and there.

One example?  Look at young players going into EPL teams, 9/10 times they'll be bigger than an SPL counterpart.

He said we had players who were technically good but still weren't "men". Alluded to mental and physical toughness (or lack thereof) being an issue.

Surely those are things that could  be developed by giving them game time instead of developing other teams players by allowing them to play for us.

One example?  Look at young players going into EPL teams, 9/10 times they'll be bigger than an SPL counterpart.

You could be right like, Hector would back up yer point, but McKenna would go against it. I don't think it's anything particular to England is what I'm saying, more to do with a player's general physical growth and the time they come through into the team. Given they're playing in a league where the players are significantly more athletic than those up here, it is to be expected that those who have managed to break into the team are of requisite strength, it's all relative. In other words, if yer average youngster is 30% less muscular than a senior player up here, it's probably a similar ratio down there. I'm not an avid Match of the day watcher, but I've seen it enough to have heard them talk of young players just needing to improve the physical side of their game to make them the next big thing. The main point being though, that it's something that's easy to work on once the player has fully developed, as opposed to skills and that a lot of it has to do with confidence. Having played a few times at a shite level myself you often tend to be hunner mile an hour and unsure of tackling until you settle in and get yer first few boots up in the air. Each level is a new learning experience too, so it may take players a good few hundred minutes (15-20 decent length sub appearances) of game time to get used to the pace and physical side of a game in the first team. We should be looking to provide that experience before judging, and I can think of about 10 games this season where that would have been possible.

You could be right like, Hector would back up yer point, but McKenna would go against it. I don't think it's anything particular to England is what I'm saying, more to do with a player's general physical growth and the time they come through into the team. Given they're playing in a league where the players are significantly more athletic than those up here, it is to be expected that those who have managed to break into the team are of requisite strength, it's all relative.

Well McKenna is one example, there aren't many others over the years for the Dons.

You may well be correct about the EPL example, but I don't see the ones who aren't making it, so can only make a call on those who are.

Of course you're right in that no matter how well built you are, it takes time to get used to getting kicked harder, eased off the ball from men rather than boys (a point I made in the Under 20s thread about why the u20s simply doesn't work), marking someone who is faster and stronger than the guys you've played against not to mention the technical/tactical nous, but having that build there, that strength, is definitely of more use than not having it. 

My general concern though, is that we could put ourselves ahead of the game in Scotland if we produced technically gifted players who are also stronger physically than those coming through elsewhere. 

That's Cammy Smith out the door again, to St. Mirren this time. Must be his last chance for him to prove himself?

C3HK3V0XAAQdKYp.jpg

Reckon the ship has already sailed for young Cammy

Shame really, had high hopes for the lad, but lloks like just the latest in a long line of high hopes that fails to make the grade.

I agree that intra-club lending within the same league is nonsense but on the tweet, do we realise just how despised AFC are in some quarters? After all, his words didn't miss. There's no ambiguity there.

Our biggest anti-fan is Tam Cowan of course. Have we ever considered quite why Aberdeen is hated so much?

I think we are despised because we are the one major club in Scotland that has no link whatsoever to either of the Glasgow tinks, we hate them both in equal measure and have done for years, long before it became fashionable to do so.  Most other supporters may claim to support other teams, but most have a favourite bigot brother.

Also the fact we have won TWO European trophies is still a bitter one for many.