Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

Released Players and New Deals

As others have said I think it was probably time for Leighton to move on as goalkeeping position has been shite for a while.

As for Langfield he as another year to go so unless someone is going to pay a fee for him I would think he will be here until the end of his deal. Ideally would like to see both Brown and Langfield gone as neither is good enough.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame for Jimmer like, phenomenal goalkeeper. Even in his hibs days he was top drawer.

As for his coaching abilities, I'm pretty certain that no one on here (or any other forum) actually has the slightest clue whether he's any good or not. Guys like Bain and Rogers would suggest he does something right, but our goalkeeper purchasing department (we've heard mixed opinions over whether Leighton was responsible or not and, again, I suspect most are guessing) has been horrendous.

Langfield's best seasons (2009 and last season) have been when he's looked physically stronger, like he's bulked up a little. On both occasions I remember he mentioned that he did gym work on his own during pre-season to get in shape. After he brought down Samaras for a pen at Pittodrie a couple of seasons back, he clearly worked hard on staying on his feet, and his one-on-ones greatly improved that year, which suggests good coaching.

However, Jim never really struck me as the type of person who'd excel at his job (guys like Graham Kirk who are really into their profession). Put in the extra work through watching videos, learning/creating new coaching methods etc. When you've been Scotland's best goalkeeper for most of your career, it must be difficult to have the desire to be Scotland's best goalkeeping coach. Much like many gifted players (or other careers), it isn't that straight forward to analyse what comes completely naturally to you and pass on to others. I often think goalkeeping would be better analysed by someone who hasn't been a 'keeper before where they can break the role down into its constituent parts and build a 'keeper back up. I don't imagine (but I could be wrong) that Jim would be that deep a thinker on the subject.

Anyway, good luck Jim min.

Article in the EE, feel for him, I really do but sadly it is for the best:

JIM LEIGHTON CONSIDERS QUITTING FOOTBALL AFTER SECOND DONS AXING

GOTHENBURG Great Jim Leighton is considering quitting football after being asked to leave the Dons for a second time.

The 56-year-old was left stunned after he was told his time as Aberdeen goalkeeping coach was over.

Leighton was axed as Dons boss Derek McInnes carried out a reshuffle of his backroom staff.

The same happened to Leighton in 2009 when he was released by fellow European Cup Winner’s cup legend Mark McGhee.

Scotland great Leighton was delighted when Craig Brown brought him back to Pittodrie a year later.

Now his second departure, after 27 years with Aberdeen as a player and coach, looks set to end Leighton’s time working in full-time football.

Leighton has worked in the game full-time since signing on with the Dons as a teenager in the seventies.

A three-time league winner with the Dons, Leighton has recently received his UEFA coaching licence which would aid any efforts to secure employment at another club.

However his business interests within Aberdeen mean it is unlikely Scotland’s most capped keeper will return to the game full-time.

Leighton and his wife own a beauty salon in the city and are about to open a bistro restaurant.

Leighton said: “I’m already looking for options outside football.

“I don’t see me asking my family to move away given the other commitments we have.”

Having amassed 91 caps, Leighton was part of the famous Aberdeen squad that lifted the European Cup Winner’s Cup and Super Cup in 1983. During a stellar Dons career, Leighton won three league titles, four Scottish Cups and a League Cup.

He followed Sir Alex Ferguson to Manchester United but eventually returned to Aberdeen where he ended his playing career in 2000.

Leighton hopes to secure goalkeeping coaching roles on a freelance basis, something he did for a spell after McGhee moved him out of Pittodrie.

He will also expand the children’s coaching school he already runs in the North-east.

Leighton admitted being asked to leave by McInnes was a shock but accepts the manager has a right to run the club as he sees fit.

“It was disappointing because I have always had a strong affection for the club. That will never change.”

Leighton has worked under Dons boss McInnes since he arrived as Pittodrie boss at the end of the 2012-13 season.

McInnes said: “I would like to thank Jim for his contribution as a member of my team since I arrived at the club.”

The Dons have said that nobody has been lined up to replace Leighton at this stage.

Aye manc sad how it has ended but it had to happen.  he was never the most motivated regards the coaching ken few reasons  , but he is still  a legend . Seen 3 great keepers in my early years in Cark , Snelders  and Leighton.  for me Snelders was class above.  his all round game was far better.  but Leighton will always be regarded as one of our greats and rightly so. now lets get this keeper situation sorted asap.

Aye manc sad how it has ended but it had to happen.  he was never the most motivated regards the coaching ken few reasons  , but he is still  a legend . Seen 3 great keepers in my early years in Cark , Snelders  and Leighton.  for me Snelders was class above.  his all round game was far better.  but Leighton will always be regarded as one of our greats and rightly so. now lets get this keeper situation sorted asap.

Tubby Ogston and Bryan Gunn weren't bad either, just unlucky at the time they were around.

Interestingly Theo Snelders is leaving his goalkeeping coach role with FC Twente.......

Edit.  From further research it would appear Twente are in the shit financially and that is why he has been let go.  I imagine Theo to be a very progressive coach, when the passback rule was introduced Snelders adapted to it better and more easily than any other keeper in the league if memory serves.  Moment I heard this it instantly felt like the right move.  Been coaching at a good level, knows and loves the club (I mind him speaking quite enthusiastically of wanting to see an Aberdeen win over Groningen), there's a symmetry in him taking over from Leighton just as he did in nets, available on a free and the club likely given a huge lift by legends return.  By that I mean giving a club legend his jotters always leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.  Bringing Snelders in would be a great mouthwash IMO

One for the "worth a look" file.

Stephen Dobbie being released by Crystal Palace.

Pros:

Experienced, and at a good level. 

A "winner" (read, competitive, a bit niggly)

A very good technical footballer.

Plays in behind the striker, a position we've struggled with.

Good with set-pieces.

Another veteran who can pass on good habits and tales to the younger kids.

Cons:

32 years old.

Has been on loan at Fleetwood.

Almost certainly on the downward curve in his career trajectory.

Won't get (or by worth) anything like what he's being paid by Crystal Palace.

are you mental?

Jesus, sorry I spoke.

Loads of clubs give long-serving players coaching jobs. It's hardly 'mental' to wonder if Aberdeen are considering it.

He's a better keeper than Stevie Woods, Craig Hinchcliffe and Gordon Marshall were, but they're deemed good enough to coach in this league.

I dare say he won't get the job without his badges - and I neither said he would or should get it - but cheers for the constructive criticism.

You're obviously a touchy, sensitive soul but try to look at this without the ego getting in your road. The I's are the worst, as quoteth in a Booker Prize winning novel about 25 years ago, written by a weegie actually!

The fact that many/most/all clubs employ former footballers in coaching roles is not any justification for putting on the table a proposition for Clangfud being considered in this manner.

His ability, good or bad as a keeper is also irrelevant compared to the more important issue. 

The only criteria by which his employment should be considered is his ability to do the job. This would include his knowledge of the art of course but can he identify talent and can he inspire others to perform with excellence and to over-achieve (ref: Doc Eliot, Rice about 15 years ago)?

It is mental to consider giving that cunt any more money. He's taken enough from us over the last decade and we were stupid enough to give it to him.

What does my ego have to do with it? I wasn't putting myself forward for the job.

Like I said, I didn't suggest that Langfield should get the job. I just wondered if that was the road the club were thinking of going down.

What does my ego have to do with it? I wasn't putting myself forward for the job.

Like I said, I didn't suggest that Langfield should get the job. I just wondered if that was the road the club were thinking of going down.

Yes we know what you said. It was your reaction to your suggestion being considered mental that I was referring to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would be very happy with that if it came off.  Another one of their players that has impressed me.

Aye seen the odd bits of him could become big player might just be a bad rumour , either way its a big season for pawlett and with def few more coming in and scott wright coming threw the pressure is on peter to start producing again.  hope he does as he can be match winner , sadly last year he was poor. so its either big performances or he will end up at the likes St Mirren at best.