Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

CALDERWOOD IS STAYING WITH DONS

CALDERWOOD IS STAYING WITH DONS

08:50 - 14 January 2008

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood and his coaching staff will today end months of speculation about their futures at Pittodrie by signing new contracts with the club.

Calderwood, his assistant Jimmy Nicholl and coach Sandy Clark have all agreed to stay with the Dons following talks with director of football Willie Miller.

The Reds have maintained they wanted to keep Calderwood and his coaching staff following three-and-a-half years of progress at the club. Talks stalled, however, as Calderwood sought assurances he would be able to continue strengthening his squad.

The manager had admitted he was considering his position following the loss of several key members of his squad and, with the management team out of contract at the end of the season, there were fears the team and coaching staff could bebroken up in the summer.

The imminent departures of Michael Hart and Chris Clark to English Champion-ship clubs will weaken analready slender Aberdeen squad but the anticipated £400,000 generated from the sale of the duo will soften the blow of their departure and give the manager some much-needed finance to add to his squad.

Central defender Zander Diamond and goalkeeper Jamie Langfield's new three-year deals with Aberdeen, along with an improved offer to midfielder Barry Nicholson and contract offers made to forward Lee Miller and Irish defender Richie Byrne, have convinced manager Calderwood to stay and continue to lead the club.

Calderwood and director of football Miller refused to comment last night but a press conference is expected today to announce the manager and his coaching staff are staying at Pittodrie. When he arrived from Dunfermline in 2004 to replace StevePaterson, Calderwood took charge of a club which was languishing near the bottom of the Scottish Premier League.

He has taken the Dons to the top six of the SPL in every season he has been in charge, with last year's third-placed finish and a place in this year's Uefa Cup just reward for the hard work put in.

More success has followed this season with Aberdeen surpassing expectations in the Uefa Cup to reach thelast 32 of the tournament, landing a dream tie against Germans Bayern Munich next month.

Despite competing on all fronts, Calderwood has taken his side to fourth in the SPL and Dundee United standbetween the club and a place in the League Cup final.

If the Dons beat United on January 29 they will be in a Hampden final for the first time in eight years.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's good news.

Regardless of what the 'I hate Jimmy brigade' think, the team HAVE progressed since they arrived, and IF things improve I welcome it.  It's the club I support and not the man.  I personally don't like him, but he's doing a good job so I'm big enough to put that aside.

As he said..... ought to put 008 site into meltdown though ;)