Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons v Hibs - Sco Cup SF

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He looked as good as he ever did for us when he came on against United. If he's fit he has to play.

Just not sure the rest of the defence needs to be (or deserves to be shaken up)

If he were to come in I would have him in instead of Reynolds.

I suppose my other concern would be whether he could last 90mins never mind 120mins.

As for formation, surely after Mizer's Braveheart-esque speech at the Roadshow, encouraging Brown to set out and "kill them", we'll see a 442 on Saturday  :thumbsup:

I suppose my other concern would be whether he could last 90mins never mind 120mins.

As for formation, surely after Mizer's Braveheart-esque speech at the Roadshow, encouraging Brown to set out and "kill them", we'll see a 442 on Saturday  :thumbsup:

I just can't imagine that would've worked with his camp voice and total recall face. mizer I mean not craig brown.

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20120411/aberdeen-scottish-cup-semi-finals_2212158_2731127

Sadly I don't remember any of these

Aberdeen Scottish Cup Semi Finals

10 1937 Aberdeen 2:0 Morton

One from a bygone age but a significant Scottish Cup semi final success as it was the first one that Aberdeen won in seven attempts. The great Black & Gold era at Pittodrie may never have been blessed with silverware but Aberdeen were at that time one of the best sides in the country and a joy to watch. The win over Morton at Easter Road was down to the wing wizardry of Billy Strauss, crucially injured in that tie which meant his influence would be missed in the final against Celtic.

9 1984 Aberdeen 2:0 Dundee

Aberdeen were going for a record-breaking hat trick of Scottish Cup wins and there was no way that a stubborn Dundee side was going to prevent that. Aberdeen showed their clinical professionalism at Tynecastle as they certainly had played better in the past but never looked in danger against the Dens Park side. Aberdeen went through for the date with destiny a month later.

8 1978 Aberdeen 4:2 Partick Thistle

Despite the poor midweek attendance, this was special evening for Aberdeen forward Ian Fleming. He joined Joe O'Neil in the record books after scoring a memorable hat trick against the Firhill side. Aberdeen had to face Partick three times in eight days as they were going for a league and cup double. Most observers said the Dons would not win all three; they were wrong.

7 1986 Aberdeen 3:0 Hibernian

Aberdeen's experience of the big occasion was apparent in 1986 as the Dons coasted to a comfortable win over Hibernian at Dens Park. Aberdeen had already beaten Hibernian in the final of the League Cup that season and never looked in trouble against the Edinburgh side in the Scottish Cup. It was a thoroughly professional Dons approach that paid a handsome dividend with another their fourth final appearance in five seasons on the horizon.

6 1967 Aberdeen 1:0 Dundee Utd

Jimmy 'Jinky' Smith was one of the finest and most talented players ever to wear the red of Aberdeen. His influence in the 1967 semi final against Dundee United was crucial. It was Smith's audacious skills inside the United box after only four minutes that forced a Millar own goal. That was enough for Aberdeen to succeed although they had some nervy moments in a frantic finale to the game. Aberdeen had swept their way to Hampden on the back of some stunning wins over Dundee, St Johnstone and Hibernian.

5 1983 Aberdeen 1:0 Celtic

One of the toughest matches the Dons played in an incredible season came when Celtic faced the Dons in the Hampden semi final. Aberdeen were in the midst of going for a unique treble at home and abroad and the rugged approach by the Celtic players meant that Aberdeen had to dig deep for victory. This was no place for any 'fancy Dan' tactics; Aberdeen faced up to the physical approach from Celtic and eased through to the final after a second half header from Peter Weir was enough.

4 1990 Aberdeen 4:0 Dundee Utd

The most convincing of semi final wins came against Dundee Utd at Tynecastle. Old rivals Dundee Utd had managed to knock the Dons out of the cup in 1985 and 1988 but it was sweet revenge for Aberdeen as they were inspired by a master class from Hans Gillhaus as the Dons routed the Tangerines. That win set Aberdeen up for their last success in the tournament after a penalty shoot out win over Celtic.

3 1970 Aberdeen 1: 0 Kilmarnock

The legend of 'Cup-tie McKay' continued in a tense semi final clash at Muirton Park in Perth. A huge Aberdeen following helped the Dons to a narrow win with Derek McKay scoring the only goal after 21 minutes. Aberdeen had to withstand an aerial bombardment from Kilmarnock for the entire second half, but the resolute Dons defence stood firm to reach the final against Celtic. Derek McKay scored the winning goals at Falkirk in the quarter final and after repeating that feat in the semi, he went on to score twice in the Dons 3-1 final win over Celtic.

2 1982 Aberdeen 3:2 St Mirren

It was in the mud of Dens Park that Aberdeen saw off a spirited St Mirren side in the 1982 replay. Bad felling boiled over from the first game at Parkhead but it took a calamitous mistake from Saints keeper Billy Thomson who let a Peter Weir shot slip through his legs in the 74th minute to give Aberdeen a famous victory. The win set Aberdeen up for victory over Rangers in the final and entry into the 1983 European Cup Winners Cup.Joe O'Neil

1 1954 Aberdeen 6:0 Rangers

A first ever win in the Scottish Cup was also a record cup defeat for the Ibrox side as Aberdeen swept aside Rangers in a humiliating defeat at Hampden. A crowd of 111,000 watched in the Easter sun as the Dons piled on the misery and ended their Rangers cup bogey in style. The Aberdeen hero was big Joe O'Neil; shunned by the Ibrox club after discovering what school he attended in Glasgow. Incredibly O'Neil was injured three weeks previously with a fractured skull but he defied the medical experts to take his place in the side. O'Neil weighed in with a sensational hat trick as Aberdeen ripped through the Rangers defence. By the time Paddy Buckley made it six in 89 minutes, Rangers were a well beaten side.

Former Aberdeen defender Brian Irvine believes it is time his old club made the William Hill Scottish Cup final.

Speaking ahead of Saturday’s semi-final against Hibs at Hampden, the 1990 cup winning stopper said: “It’s been too long since the Dons were in the final.

“A club of their size should have been in some since 2000.”

Irvine knows what a cup win means for the Granite City.

He scored the winning penalty in a shoot-out against Celtic and earned a place in the Pittodrie Hall of Fame.

The 47-year-old ex-Scotland international said: “It was nice to hit the winning penalty in a cup final but it’s not the best way to win a final.

“There was so much pressure in that situation and I wasn’t exactly first in the queue to take one in the shoot-out.”

A huge Dons contingent is expected to arrive in Glasgow on Saturday and Irvine said a club of Aberdeen’s stature deserves a place in the final.

“I believe Aberdeen are strong favourites, “ he added.

“With Russell Anderson back, they are even more resolute and they have the ability to nullify the threat of Garry O’Connor and Leigh Griffiths.

“Craig Brown and Archie Knox will have their team set out right to make really hard for Hibs.

“It might not be an exciting game with maybe just one goal from a defender settling it.

“Often it is the team who are better at set-pieces that wins.

“That’s relevant for Aberdeen now as they have the advantage of Karl Arnason hurling his long throws into the box.

“There is a fair chance they might even end up with more chances to score than the strikers who are sure to be marked tightly.

“It’s up to the defenders to take advantage of any chances that come to them because all that really matters is who gets to the final.”

Does it go to extra time and penalties if required on Saturday - I thought that the semis always went to a replay? Would rather it did finish onn the day tho

Ticket sales: On match day (Saturday morning), Aberdeen supporters can buy tickets from the porta cabin at the rear of the West Stand (Somerville Drive) at Hampden Park from 9.00 am until kick-off. Tickets will be in the West Stand at £15 for Adults and £5 for under 16's.

Please note the Pittodrie ticket office closes at 5pm tonight (Friday). The ticket office will be CLOSED on Saturday.

Turnstiles: Turnstiles open at 10 45am.

Collections: Pre ordered tickets can also be uplifted from the above Porta Cabin between 11am and 12 noon.