Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

the most discussed aberdeen player in the past 10 years by dons fans

I, like most Aberdeen fans, have gone through it all watching Mackie. And to be fair i was giving it all the 'Mackie is pish and we should get rid o him' in years gone by. But, its his home club and he loves the dons. The boy gives 100% when he is on the park and was always a very easy scapegoat for the fans. Never an awesome player but really it was just his pace that was his best asset. I think he is starting to use his brain recently and this could be a decent season for him.  We could have been paying some idiots who couldn't give two monkeys about the dons a wage through the years and ended up we the same scoring ratio as Mackie.  If someone put me in his shoes, to play for Aberdeen and get paid for it and the manager thought i was good enough, well happy days. You deserve your testimonial Darren! Hope its a good game for you and your family.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still find it incredible that the dons fans will give someone like Mackie a hard time.  I'll never understand to this day why he gets a hard time when he gives 100% and is proud to wear the shirt, while other such as Hignett, Belabed and Zerouali received cult status even though they did not care about wearing the shirt and only turned up to play when they felt like it!

I'd far rather have a team of people who try and give their all every game (without being world beaters), than have a team of prima-donna's that flatter to deceive.

Enjoy the night Darren - You deserve a bumper crowd and a night to remember :thumbsup:

Hignett was a total cunt!

Only came cos he thought there might be some glory, as soon as he realised that there wasnae he made every excuse uder the sun the fuck off back to a big wage daaahn sarff! His wagwe demands set the level for others and is one of the reasons we were/are right-royally fucked up financially :hammer:

Craig Brown wants Mackie to stay at Aberdeen FC

Contract boost for Darren

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 19/07/2011

ABERDEEN FC boss Craig Brown today admitted he’s keen to see Darren Mackie extend his stay at Pittodrie.

Mackie’s 13 years of loyal service to the club will be recognised when they play Spanish side Villarreal in his testimonial match at Pittodrie tonight (7pm).

Mackie, who is into the final year of his contract with Aberdeen FC, has expressed a desire to remain with them for the rest of his career.

Craig Brown wants Mackie to stay at Aberdeen FC

Contract boost for Darren

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 19/07/2011

ABERDEEN FC boss Craig Brown today admitted he’s keen to see Darren Mackie extend his stay at Pittodrie.

Mackie’s 13 years of loyal service to the club will be recognised when they play Spanish side Villarreal in his testimonial match at Pittodrie tonight (7pm).

Mackie, who is into the final year of his contract with Aberdeen FC, has expressed a desire to remain with them for the rest of his career.

Jesus fuck its no wonder we are going downhill faster than an Olympic skier

No doubt some moron will post after this and say he is good in the dressing room or gives 100% or even maybe he scored a great goal against Dnipro

Just over 6 goals a season for one of our main strikers and Broon wants to keep him

can anyone who wants him to stay please state why because i am at a loss as to why.

Jesus fuck its no wonder we are going downhill faster than an Olympic skier

No doubt some moron will post after this and say he is good in the dressing room or gives 100% or even maybe he scored a great goal against Dnipro

Just over 6 goals a season for one of our main strikers and Broon wants to keep him

can anyone who wants him to stay please state why because i am at a loss as to why.

Yawn.

Mackie is shit because he didn't score while he was injured or on load at ICT ::)

Mackies scoring rate isn't great. Fair play! But his game is about utilizing his pace, clever runs and making spaces for other players. As a striker you are always judged on goals but when i have seen him he makes the runs that move the centrebacks out of position and let a midfielder through into space. Its not a pretty job and sometimes he does have a shit game, but who doesn't! Maybe a slightly dodgy comparison but for a central midfielder the ability to tackle, i would say, is essential. Paul Scholes couldn't find a tackle in a fishing shop. Does that make him a Crap player? No. End of!      (WARNING: - All that i have said could be pish)

Successive managers have said precisely the same thing, presumably they are all morons too.

Nobody mentioned morons you spat the dummy because i had a different opinion from you.

To me keeping a striker who does not score goals but gives 100% effort is like keeping a TV that does not work but hangs on the wall great.

I don't know how old you are so maybe you are used to substandard pish week in week out but in my day a striker who averaged about 6 goals a season would be out on his arse a long time ago.

Nobody mentioned morons you spat the dummy because i had a different opinion from you.

To me keeping a striker who does not score goals but gives 100% effort is like keeping a TV that does not work but hangs on the wall great.

I don't know how old you are so maybe you are used to substandard pish week in week out but in my day a striker who averaged about 6 goals a season would be out on his arse a long time ago.

Which would explain your successful management career.

Which would explain your successful management career.

So his opinion doesn't count because your opinion happens to be in line with the managers we've had at Pittodrie?

I don't understand why the "all those managers have chosen to keep him" line is always trotted out when it comes to Mackie. As if these guys never get it wrong... Mackie is a poor striker, in fact, a poor footballer.  Aberdeen have been shit for the duration of his career, the fact he's probably never been the poorest player at the club at any one point may go some way to explain why he's still there.

So his opinion doesn't count because your opinion happens to be in line with the managers we've had at Pittodrie?

I don't understand why the "all those managers have chosen to keep him" line is always trotted out when it comes to Mackie. As if these guys never get it wrong... Mackie is a poor striker, in fact, a poor footballer.  Aberdeen have been shit for the duration of his career, the fact he's probably never been the poorest player at the club at any one point may go some way to explain why he's still there.

Nail on head id say. He epitomizes the drop in quality that we've seen in the club. Pretty much the whole time I've supported the dons :(

Stating the obvious but you don't have to understand it. Successive managers have kept him and played him. Yes, I don't think there's much doubt it is indicative of the steady decline of AFC and the SPL in general but they kept him. I can see why.

Purely my opinion though and I'm no football coach.

Stating the obvious but you don't have to understand it. Successive managers have kept him and played him. Yes, I don't think there's much doubt it is indicative of the steady decline of AFC and the SPL in general but they kept him. I can see why.

Purely my opinion though and I'm no football coach.

And yet the very same coaches will get pelters on these very pages for everything else (and most certainly for the general crime of being utter shite at their job in the case of one at least) from certain people who have, and continue to use this line regarding Mackie.  That really is quite wonderful.

Successive managers, some very much worse than others but 2 at worst competent. Yes, wonderful, no sarcasm.

But that's an opinion. Not a fact. Opinions are wonderful too. Quite wonderful.

If that is your honest assessment and justification of having Mackie at the club for that amount of time then good luck to you.

Don't know why there's so much focus on retaining loyal squad players as a factor in a manager's ability. Surely players being signed is a better way of judging?

no point getting rid if there's no replacement. and sadly, just having respect for the club is a valid reason to keep people for nowadays because it's a rare commodity.

just speaking of mackie; about as useful as a dirty nappy in front of goal, but gets stuck in when others couldn't care less. was one of very few people to deserve a place on the pitch in mcghee's first season at least.