Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Managers in Scotland

Hope Postecoglou does well down in England as it reflects well on our game, but I fear he wont.

He plays an exciting brand of football, but when the real tests have come in Europe he's failed, repeatedly.

For me, before he was considered a top manager he had to go and make a mark in Europe next season and fend off what is likely to be a top Aberdeen team next season, and he's walked away before he can.

Don't know what's considered a decent first season at Tottenham. I'd suggest top six, but then Mourinho finished sixth, had Tottenham in first place and into a cup final, and was sacked when they fell to seventh. Conte finished fourth, then sacked when they were in sixth. 

Spurs are an omnishambles and not a particularly great club to go to. Fair chance they will lose Kane over the summer as well. Their board and fans expect them to be top 4 and the board don’t seem to have much patience with managers to allow them to achieve it. 

6 hours ago, Panda said:

Hope Postecoglou does well down in England as it reflects well on our game, but I fear he wont.

I doesn't reflect well on anything but Celtic, but perhaps giving a fuck what England think about our game is an insecurity we'd do well to avoid. I hope he fails cause he's a dirty Tim dick. But mainly because it would show that being successful at Celtic is a barometer of nothing, because John Hughes could do it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I doesn't reflect well on anything but Celtic, but perhaps giving a fuck what England think about our game is an insecurity we'd do well to avoid. I hope he fails cause he's a dirty Tim dick. But mainly because it would show that being successful at Celtic is a barometer of nothing, because John Hughes could do it.

You've misunderstood me. I don't follow English football so don't care what fans of Bournemouth and Chesterfield think of Scottish football.

But Tottenham are a big club. And a manager going to them and doing well reflects well on Scottish football, and let's other managers see that the Scottish Premiership is a good stepping stone.

I only ever spoke to Ange once, over zoom, so hold no real opinion of him. But there's been far more dislikable Celtic managers than him I'd say. Good luck to him, especially if he weakens Celtic by taking Kyogo, Jota and Carter-Vickers with him.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

You've misunderstood me. I don't follow English football so don't care what fans of Bournemouth and Chesterfield think of Scottish football.

But Tottenham are a big club. And a manager going to them and doing well reflects well on Scottish football, and let's other managers see that the Scottish Premiership is a good stepping stone.

I only ever spoke to Ange once, over zoom, so hold no real opinion of him. But there's been far more dislikable Celtic managers than him I'd say. Good luck to him, especially if he weakens Celtic by taking Kyogo, Jota and Carter-Vickers with him.

See, the dirty Tim dick didn't even have the decency to talk to you in person. Subhuman scum. 

I'm not convinced that somebody doing well at the Tims has any bearing on the rest of us, whether players or managers. They'd have to be fairly badly informed managers to use that as a benchmark. The Tims operate on an entirely different level to any other team, to the extent that for all intents and purposes the Scottish premiership isn't a single entity (when it comes to player or manager signings). Nobody would sign a Dons player because van dijk made a successful switch to England, and the same would apply to managers. 

I don't think Jota and the carter-vickers are good enough for down the road at spurs level. The former too lightweight, the latter too slow in possession. Kyogo and Hatate could likely make the step though. Maybe thon big lad up front, but not seen much of him.

On 06/06/2023 at 18:34, RicoS321 said:

But mainly because it would show that being successful at Celtic is a barometer of nothing, because John Hughes could do it.

Literally anyone can be a celtix manager and win the league with the resources available to them. Its literally like putting aberdeen in an amateur league, but aberdern get to spend the same money as they do today. Which makes me wonder just how shit John Barnes really was 

23 hours ago, Jute said:

Hearts announce Naismith as manager except he’s not the manager. They have had to name him as technical director as he does not have his UEFA coaching qualifications and cannot manage in Europe. 

Hearts confirming today his full title is Technical Hitch Director

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Reekie_Red said:

Literally anyone can be a celtix manager and win the league with the resources available to them. Its literally like putting aberdeen in an amateur league, but aberdern get to spend the same money as they do today. Which makes me wonder just how shit John Barnes really was 

Okay hear me out. But, was John Barnes really that bad?

Firstly, he was up against - if not Rangers' best ever team then certainly up there as one of them (probably for another forum that debate). 

In addition, the league was tougher then as it was the beginning of the SPL era when everyone (except us I think) spent beyond their means).

Results wise - Celtic dropped points in seven league games before Barnes was sacked in February. In that same time frame, Ange's Celtic dropped points in six games in his first season.

They made the League Cup final (Barnes sacked before the final - of which we don't need to talk about).

Wasn't group stages in the UEFA Cup yet, they lost to a pretty decent Lyon team over two legs.

They beat Aberdeen 5-0, 7-0 and 6-0 - although didn't help we were having a mad one under Skovdahl.

But the defeat to Inverness did it for him.

I'd argue, had he been manager in any of Lennon's title winning seasons, he may have won the league then too.

I'm not saying that makes him a good manager. Just that he's not the disaster he's painted to be.

And also that we should have sacked Skovdahl and replaced him with Barnes when he became free.

On 09/06/2023 at 07:24, Panda said:

And also that we should have sacked Skovdahl and replaced him with Barnes when he became free.

Oh you had me til the end. I am one of the few who actually liked Ebbe. I could see the vision he had, the Brondby Blueprint looked to be just what we needed. Plus he was a bloody good laugh when he did his supporters club roadshows

If Rodgers takes the job, I wonder if Scott Brown will go back there as assistant.

Has been his mentor the last few years. Was Rodgers who urged him to leave Celtic for Aberdeen, and Brown said in a recent interview he leans on him a lot for advice at Fleetwood.

He may not want to give up being a manager in his own right, but the chance to go work with Rodgers and learn from him, while there's simply no comparison between Celtic and Fleetwood, might be enough to sway him.

6 hours ago, Panda said:

If Rodgers takes the job, I wonder if Scott Brown will go back there as assistant.

Has been his mentor the last few years. Was Rodgers who urged him to leave Celtic for Aberdeen, and Brown said in a recent interview he leans on him a lot for advice at Fleetwood.

He may not want to give up being a manager in his own right, but the chance to go work with Rodgers and learn from him, while there's simply no comparison between Celtic and Fleetwood, might be enough to sway him.

And the answer to that question is.... Who gives a fuck?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

And the answer to that question is.... Who gives a fuck?

This is the non-Aberdeen sub forum, no? Kinda fair game.

Plus that's an Aberdeen legend you're talking about. Up there with Lee Richardson...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Panda said:

Always knew Rodgers was a cunt. 

• Haha 1

Fascinating to see how this one turns out imo.  I've come up with a theory about Rogers and why he can't seem to last longer than 3 seasons at a club. 

Basically, I think he's a bullshit merchant. Eg. I mind him saying last time round he met Danny mcgrain on the training ground when he started. Mcgrain said he didn't know if he was still to have a role at the club. He told Danny he should put his training gear on and he would always have a place at the club whilst he was in charge. After Rogers left Mcgrain went on record saying it never happened (well according to tam Cowan anyway). I do wonder if after a few years people just get wise to his disingenuinity and that's why performances dip. It's hard to be motivated by someone you don't respect after all. 

Regardless though I can't help but feel this is a bad move for Rogers. I honestly don't see what's in it for him. There's plenty of talk of him being promised a budget that will make them CL competitive. To my eye the only way they are going to do that is by doubling their wage bill and however well run they are they cannot afford to do that. Even if they did I wouldn't trust Rogers to build such a team, one of his biggest problems at Leicester was they spent a rake of money on diddies (according to the hilariously named Leicester fan Rick flair on sportsound yesterday).  My prediction with this one is some reasonable early success and then a spectacular wheels coming off car crash. 

Edited by tlg1903

57 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Much as i would love to see this go tits up early on  the unfortunate result of this will mean Lou Beale being successful with the Huns and that isn't a pleasant thought.

Och, same shite, it's just on the other shoe Al.  Maybe they will both have meltdown seasons 🤞

• Like 1

• 2 months later...