Wednesday 19th June 2024

Euro 2024 -  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland v 🇨🇭Switzerland

kick-off 8pm

Derek Young fears Craig Brown Pittodrie cull

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/9280013.stm

Derek Young fears Craig Brown Pittodrie cull

Aberdeen midfielder Derek Young admits he and his team-mates fear for their Pittodrie futures under new boss Craig Brown after their latest humiliation.

The Dons were hammered 5-0 by a ruthless Hearts side at Tynecastle with Brown and assistant Archie Knox watching on from the stands.

And Young is worried a major cull is on the horizon.

"If the manager comes in and sees someone he doesn't like then that's how it'll be," he told BBC Scotland.

The Tynecastle mauling was Aberdeen's seventh straight loss and left them anchored at the bottom of the Scottish Premier League on goal difference, with Hamilton having a game in hand.

It is now four points from a possible 42 with those most recent seven defeats yielding an aggregate score of 23 goals against and just two for - relegation form in anyone's book.

And Young was first to admit the club is in serious danger of dropping for the first time in its proud and illustrious history.

"We're bottom of the league - that's a simple fact," he said. "If you're losing goals, not winning games and getting points then the confidence is going to go in some players.

"There's more than enough quality in our changing room to make sure we can climb the table.

"But talk's cheap, we need to go out and do it on a Saturday and hopefully that will start next week."

Brown and Knox will address the media on Monday morning before beginning what some have already described as a job too far for the pair.

While that is a fairly dramatic and pessimistic statement, the worry from the terraces is that the players were just as poor at Tynecastle, if not worse, than when the beleaguered Mark McGhee was in the dug-out.

In fact, having watched both matches, they actually played better in the 9-0 obliteration at Celtic Park.

That provided more evidence that it was not only the previous management team who were culpable.

However, the club would appear to be in safe hands now with the former Motherwell and Scotland boss, who made an appearance in the technical area during the first-half in Gorgie.

The pair also addressed the squad after the game.

"They had a lot to say," said Young. "But most of it was positive as that's the way they look at it.

"It was obviously frustrating for them to see the team they're taking over getting beat 5-0 but they've noticed things they need to work on already.

"And come Monday that will start and hopefully from then, the only way will be up."

Young's vocal tone belied the words, however, and there will be a squad overhaul beginning in January, though probably not at the rate the supporters would like to see.

Former Livingston defender David McNamee is likely to be first aboard with the Dons minus a single senior full-back - a shocking but real situation.

Young admitted an attitude change has to come if the current team are to haul themselves out of the horror situation they find themselves in.

"We need to start fighting for each other again the same way we did at the start of the season when we were top of the table," he added.

"We've had a couple of injuries but I'm not going to use that as an excuse.

"We need to stop losing silly goals like against Hearts when we were 2-0 down before the 10th minute, so we need to keep it tight and build from there."

Young ended his post-match chat with a message to the Dons support who once again travelled in good numbers.

"Just stick with us. We know it's disappointing, the boys are all gutted," he said.

"Even if we were never going to win the game it was important we put in a decent performance - we thought we would as training had been good.

"But with the new management staff arriving this week, hopefully it'll be good times again."

Lets be realistic, the ONLY players who should be frearing a cull are those who are...

A - Not good enough to be playing for AFC

B - Not putting in the required effort/working hard enough

any players that fall in to either of these 2 categories SHOULD be fearing for their futures, especially those who fall into category B

"Just stick with us. We know it's disappointing, the boys are all gutted," he said.

Really? Doesn't look like it or sound like it from where I'm standing.

Lets be realistic, the ONLY players who should be frearing a cull are those who are...

A - Not good enough to be playing for AFC

B - Not putting in the required effort/working hard enough

any players that fall in to either of these 2 categories SHOULD be fearing for their futures, especially those who fall into category B

Spot on, and Young falls into one of those two categories.

"But talk's cheap, we need to go out and do it on a Saturday and hopefully that will start next week."

Thank fuck that will be starting next week! For a minute there or for the past 2 months, I have been getting worried but never fear because the required effort, skill and determination to win a game will start next week. Hallelujah!  ::)

Young should be oot the door too. Of course, the whole team should be fearing a cull. The vast majority of the team are not good enough/not putting the effort in. For me, those that fall into the latter category should be the first oot the door. Young may care/not care about the club, quite frankly I dont care. He is not good enough and has been part of a stinking attitude at Pittodrie for too long.

The immediate challenge is not one of removing poor quality and replacing it with better. We know how difficult that one is for a club with a contracting resource and appeal.

Ask yourself why almost every team in this league has players of similar or poorer quality than ours and they are all sitting above us in the league right now ?

Make no mistake, this is an issue of application, desire and determination to succeed. We can address the quality of our squad after we have sorted this problem. If we don't then any player coming in will be infected and affected by the malaise and rotten attitude our players are currently demonstrating.

Make no mistake, this is an issue of application, desire and determination to succeed. We can address the quality of our squad after we have sorted this problem. If we don't then any player coming in will be infected and affected by the malaise and rotten attitude our players are currently demonstrating.

Nail on head. That is a big reason why players like Folly and McArdle started off reasonable well but have descended to the same level of shatness as the rest of them.

During this awful run of results, and also during McGhee's dismal tenure as manager, Derek Young has barely started any games in his most effective position (which incidentally in my opinion is on the right side of midfield).  McGhee came in, had a look at Young, rightly or wrongly simply didn't fancy him and set about playing him at right-back.  Young, as one of our most experienced players (like it or not) was sidelined rather than being let go by McGhee (which he probably should've done).

A new man has come in, and Young realises, rightly so, that he has a new chance with a new manager.  There is not a single player in our team who, if they were to lose their place to Young, could complain one little bit, and that sentiment should extend to the fans in their thoughts on him.  Young was frozen out by McGhee and as far as I'm concerned there is a strong chance he could come back rejuvenated by a good coach and manager.  Until anything happens otherwise, we need to get behind guys like Young for the rest of the season if we are to get out of this mess we are in, he deserves a run in the team in his favoured position in midfield ahead of the likes of Maguire or even Folly whose recent performances have been dreadful.

We all have our opinions about how good or bad the players are, but the safety of our club in the SPL transcends any of this nonsense and we need to channel our vitriol and hatred towards the opposition from here on in and make Pittodrie a hateful place again for opposition clubs, and not indeed towards the Mackies and Youngs of this world.

any player coming in will be infected and affected by the malaise and rotten attitude our players are currently demonstrating.

I admit that on the evidence it looks as though our players have minimal commitment. If that is the case, then what is the reason for it. It seems to be a convenient peg to hang the blame on, but a whole team can't adopt this attitude together, surely.

If it does then there must be very powerful forces at work.

During this awful run of results, and also during McGhee's dismal tenure as manager, Derek Young has barely started any games in his most effective position (which incidentally in my opinion is on the right side of midfield).  McGhee came in, had a look at Young, rightly or wrongly simply didn't fancy him and set about playing him at right-back.  Young, as one of our most experienced players (like it or not) was sidelined rather than being let go by McGhee (which he probably should've done).

A new man has come in, and Young realises, rightly so, that he has a new chance with a new manager.  There is not a single player in our team who, if they were to lose their place to Young, could complain one little bit, and that sentiment should extend to the fans in their thoughts on him.  Young was frozen out by McGhee and as far as I'm concerned there is a strong chance he could come back rejuvenated by a good coach and manager.  Until anything happens otherwise, we need to get behind guys like Young for the rest of the season if we are to get out of this mess we are in, he deserves a run in the team in his favoured position in midfield ahead of the likes of Maguire or even Folly whose recent performances have been dreadful.

We all have our opinions about how good or bad the players are, but the safety of our club in the SPL transcends any of this nonsense and we need to channel our vitriol and hatred towards the opposition from here on in and make Pittodrie a hateful place again for opposition clubs, and not indeed towards the Mackies and Youngs of this world.

bravoclap.gif

^^^What he said^^^

Deek Dung is never a top quality SPL player.

I mind these boards when him and his conjoined (since separated) twin fucked off to Fife; the vitriol would have you believe he was a product of Van Basten's marginally deformed left bollock.

Regardless.

If everyone is honest he did more than hold his own against Bayern.

Him, Mackie, Foster, Ifil, Duff (RIP) are not the worst players we have ever had. We, as Aberdonian's (or at least wannabe Aberdonian's) are bred to believe we are superior to any other cunt in the land of Ecosse. Hence we put on our own to be World beaters and berate them when they are not. If they pull on the red of Aberdeen they are Aberdeen, AFAIAC am concerned ;)

^^^What he said^^^

Deek Dung is never a top quality SPL player.

I mind these boards when him and his conjoined (since separated) twin fucked off to Fife; the vitriol would have you believe he was a product of Van Basten's marginally deformed left bollock.

Regardless.

If everyone is honest he did more than hold his own against Bayern.

Him, Mackie, Foster, Ifil, Duff (RIP) are not the worst players we have ever had. We, as Aberdonian's (or at least wannabe Aberdonian's) are bred to believe we are superior to any other cunt in the land of Ecosse. Hence we put on our own to be World beaters and berate them when they are not. If they pull on the red of Aberdeen they are Aberdeen, AFAIAC am concerned ;)

He didn't play against Bayern.

Why?  I've watched Derek Young try to play football for many years now, he isn't good enough to play for Aberdeen and never at any point  in his career has that been different.  So he gets rejuvenated to what? Slighty better than terrible?  There is no hatred or vitriol in this thread as far as I can see, and I certainly know that when it comes to being at the matches I would never boo Young or anyone else in a red shirt. It doesn't change the fact that he's a poor player, what's the point in pretending that he is anything else?

Why?  I've watched Derek Young try to play football for many years now, he isn't good enough to play for Aberdeen and never at any point  in his career has that been different.  So he gets rejuvenated to what? Slighty better than terrible?  There is no hatred or vitriol in this thread as far as I can see, and I certainly know that when it comes to being at the matches I would never boo Young or anyone else in a red shirt. It doesn't change the fact that he's a poor player, what's the point in pretending that he is anything else?

Bit in bold is enough.

Why?

Because, to echo ST’s comment, when a team is on a bad run, underperforming players should be dropped and replaced with the next one in the pecking order.  It’s a damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don’t situation.  The fans want to see changes but if that change comes in the shape of Derek Young (who hasn't been used at all often in this manner under McGhee, which was my original point), then it’s as if they’d rather stick with the status quo and moan about it.  Until a transfer window comes and Young is replaced with a player of better standard, he is as good as we have and no single supporter has the power to change that, ergo there’s no point folk bumping their gums about him answering a question that was posed to him in the media in an honest, truthful manner.  Perhaps he is symptomatic of a certain poor standard of player that we have, but the previous manager should’ve moved him on if that was the case.

As for vitriol, I am talking about what goes on on a Saturday afternoon when we have the power to influence the nature of a football match.  Between now and the end of the season a ninety minute siege mentality is what is needed every Saturday, and we can make the players – even Derek Young – ten feet tall if they know how much we are behind them.  This is the point I am making, I am not pretending Young is a top-notch player, what I am saying is that while he is still here, those of us who are still attending games can and should do everything in our power to get good, committed performances from him and the rest of the team on a consistent basis.  Anyone who has stopped going and is still swithering about coming back to Pittodrie – please come in and support your team this Saturday, we need you!

Because, to echo ST’s comment, when a team is on a bad run, underperforming players should be dropped and replaced with the next one in the pecking order.  It’s a damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don’t situation.  The fans want to see changes but if that change comes in the shape of Derek Young (who hasn't been used at all often in this manner under McGhee, which was my original point), then it’s as if they’d rather stick with the status quo and moan about it.  Until a transfer window comes and Young is replaced with a player of better standard, he is as good as we have and no single supporter has the power to change that, ergo there’s no point folk bumping their gums about him answering a question that was posed to him in the media in an honest, truthful manner.  Perhaps he is symptomatic of a certain poor standard of player that we have, but the previous manager should’ve moved him on if that was the case.

Under performing players should be replaced whether the team is on a good run or a bad run, don't have an issue with that at all.

However, you have said in the past that DT is now a place where everyone agrees with each other and the discussions are not what they once were, and now you're saying we shouldn't be talking about this because he needs all the support we can give?  Essentially, there is no point in us talking about anything on here, it's not going to change anything, so maybe we should just shut the site down?

However, you have said in the past that DT is now a place where everyone agrees with each other and the discussions are not what they once were, and now you're saying we shouldn't be talking about this because he needs all the support we can give?  Essentially, there is no point in us talking about anything on here, it's not going to change anything, so maybe we should just shut the site down?

I've just recently joined so don't know much about the history, but like a lot of other similar forums, depending on how active it is and how it accepts and/or encourages new posters, it can get to be sterile with the emphasis being on the predominant majority view. As it is a supporters forum it is natural that as numbers dwindle then the "hard-core" posters will tend to dominate.

While it's good to know that there is a solid, although probably smaller base of loyal support that continues to promote the cause unquestioningly , there is also a much larger number that have just got out of the habit, being disillusioned almost to the point of no return. When and if they come back then livelier discussion may be re-generated.

In the meantime there isn't anything to be gained by slagged each other off when a sceptical, more questioning view is put forward. After all we are all here because fundamentally we are Dons supporters. I'm not saying that we should all be agreeing but we should be slagging off the opposition, not each other.

I've just recently joined so don't know much about the history, but like a lot of other similar forums, depending on how active it is and how it accepts and/or encourages new posters, it can get to be sterile with the emphasis being on the predominant majority view. As it is a supporters forum it is natural that as numbers dwindle then the "hard-core" posters will tend to dominate.

While it's good to know that there is a solid, although probably smaller base of loyal support that continues to promote the cause unquestioningly , there is also a much larger number that have just got out of the habit, being disillusioned almost to the point of no return. When and if they come back then livelier discussion may be re-generated.

In the meantime there isn't anything to be gained by slagged each other off when a sceptical, more questioning view is put forward. After all we are all here because fundamentally we are Dons supporters. I'm not saying that we should all be agreeing but we should be slagging off the opposition, not each other.

I admire your naivety and enthusiasm. You are correct, of course.

:)