Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Career Choices.

It's about time the players who walk through the doors at AFC realised that they're more than likely never going to play for a bigger club than Aberdeen.  Sure people naturally want to progress their careers and earn a few quid more but personally, I wouldn't be up for that if it meant picking splinters out of my arse each weekend.

Other than Kev McNaughton I can't really think of anyone who has had a decent crack at being a footballer elsewhere.  But maybe that's because he was a decent footballer to begin with.

So, if you will, list ex-players who have went onto 'glittering' careers.

I'll starting with:

Darren Young - Played European football with Aberdeen before leaving for a brighter future at Dunfermline, Dundee and Queen of the South before finally clocking in at the Dole Office at a mere 31 years of age.

I'd say you're correct. Most folk need to realise, and it is something that even JC said whilst he was here, that they will probably never play for a bigger club. But thats the way spoilt kids behave so if they want to try it, fuck em.

Gary Mcdonald - Hamilton? Lolzer.

Mulgrew is picking splinters at Parkhead.

Think Mark Kerr is doing the same in Greece.

Maurice Ross is sampling life in China.

Alan Maybury has made it to St Johnstone, via Colchester.

Ferne Snoyl has jobbed around various clubs in Holland, most recently NAC Breda.

Think Derek Soutar is in Cyprus?

Stuart Duff is at ICT.

I really can't be arsed to list the former AFC players at Peterhead, Montrose and the like.

Jamie Winter last spotted the size of a house at Broughty Athletic in Dundee.

Phil McGuire is at Arbroath, according to wiki? What happened the big move to America?

Andrew Bagshaw last seen at Formartine Utd in the HFL.

Russell Anderson has ended up at Derby, but hardly played since leaving AFC due to injury,

Kerr, Mulgrew and Miller will all easily be making at least double what they were getting here.

All AFC players will leave eventually, some to better paid jobs, most not. Most of the ones listed here have left to better paid jobs if not necessarily better "career" options.

Severin, Nicholson, Hart, Miller, Kerr, Anderson, Mulgrew all moved to bigger pay pokes, not a lot to be done there. Some just didn't cut it where they went, that's just tough titty no being good enough. Is a couple of seasons on the bench with double or treble your wages worth it in a game where regular matches is hugely important?

It isn't a straightforward situation but there do appear many more examples where the move has not worked out.

So, hope the extra dosh was worth it. 

Unfortunately I'd say we'd also have to put Russell Anderson into this catagory although I'm more than certain it was largely down to injuries that he's found himself.

Aberdeen captain, Scotland caps, much loved, regularly awarded Man of the Match and highly regarded by rivals, pundits and fellow players......... moved to Sunderland where he only made a few first team appearances before moving to Plymouth Argyle, Burnley and Derby County.

Kerr, Mulgrew and Miller will all easily be making at least double what they were getting here.

Mulgrew and Miller I can accept although I'm not sure earning more but never playing for bigger clubs (arguably in Middlesbrough's case) is a sign that you have gone on to be more successful.

As for Kerr; what can only be a couple of quid more a week to play in front of 5000 folk for a club in its fourth season in the Greek top division definitely cannot be seen as becoming more successful.

Anyway your post is far too sensible for a thread bashing ex-players

whatever happened to Steven 'the next david beckham' Payne?

Rachid Belabed - Hailed as the next big thing but did square root of fuck all bar trying to injure a couple of players. Then got arrested in Belgium for beating up a journalist. Now playing in the Luxembourg 2nd division

Leigh Hinds - Stuck in my memory because of the tweenager with a season ticket behind me in the RDL constantly screaming COME ON LEEEEEE even when he wasnt on the field or bench.

The girl never clocked he had signed for thistle so we had to put up with that scream for another half season. It then change to moaning about how bad we were becaue he wasnt playing for us anymore.

Apparenlty he is playing for Catford Cricket FC

......and won a shitload of Scotland caps.

Next up, Scott Severin:

Aberdeen captain (allegedly) where he played European football and regularly finished in the top 6 of the league.  Decided he wanted to try something completely different  outside of the SPL, which in reality amounted to around a dozen games for Watford before returning north of the boarder at relegation candidates Kilmarnock and settling an hour away at Dundee playing for United.

Awesome.

I think it could be argued that until he replaced Goram at Hibs, Jim Leighton had a disasterous time when he left us.

88 to the start of 1990 Leighton did well for United and I know one United supporting sports journalist who ranks him ahead of Schmeichal because of his performances in that time behind an ever changing, ever shit United defence.

Guest ally s

whatever happened to Steven 'the next david beckham' Payne?                 

Last I heard he was playing Junior football for Broxburn. 

Jamie Smith currently with Colorado Rapids, having played 22 games since joining.

Richie Byrne is now in Ireland at Hungerford Town, having played for Oldham (4 games) ICT (0), St Johnstone (5) and Darlington (4) in the interim.

Jamie Smith surprise surprise was injured for a long spell not long after he went to the Rapids. Now he is getting a regular game for them.