Wednesday 19th June 2024

Euro 2024 -  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland v 🇨🇭Switzerland

kick-off 8pm

Huns after Foster? Confirmed - Velicka to Pittodrie in year loan deal

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not pissed off with Foster, it's McGhee thats annoyed me. Its pretty obvious where the team need strengthened and where it didn't and he's gone and done the exact opposite - with our biggest rival.

Is the starkly obvious answer. I don't/won't bear much, if any, ill will against Foster if or when he returns. Until then he gets all that is deserved of a hun. When he's in red he's ours. Or maybe the likes of Bett or Nicholson or even Velicka are/were equally deserving of quite amazingly stupid reactions from AFC fans. 

I like Foster's comments since signing for the huns. Everything he has said so far basically suggests he wants to experience lifting trophies and playing in the Champions League, and hopes this experience will work in his favour when he returns to Aberdeen in a years time. At no point has he done the usual "I'm a boyhood Rangers fan, this is a dream come true move for me!" garbage that 99% of all Scottish footballers seem to spout.

I think this is an excellent move. If Velicka can stay injury-free, we've got a proven goalscorer of the caliber that we've not seen since the says of Shearer and Deano.

And hate them or hate them, playing for Rangers is gonna up Foster's experience, his likelihood of becoming a Scotland internationalist, and his financial value. Fast-forward a year, I think both Rangers and Aberdeen will benefit from this move. Foster will hopefully get some Champions League experience, and there's no doubt he will be able to experience what it is like to be part of a squad that wins regularly. He might even get a cup and/or league winners medal out of it all. Velicka will be McGhee's first-choice striker whenever he is fit enough to play, so he's gonna get more gametime with Aberdeen than he was with anyone else in the past few seasons.

Sure, there's gonna be the odd moron who will boo him whenever we come up against Der Hun this season - probably the same people who were booing him when he was in an Aberdeen shirt, so no love lost there! But I think the majority of Aberdeen fans know that this is a move that Foster had no real say in, but one that will show Foster's professionalism.

This.

What wages have been freed up?

Prepare to be surprised  :-\

Think Foster is getting treated a bit harshly by some of you.

He's going to come back a more experienced player if he plays Champions League or plays in a cup final.

It's McGhee that ultimately ok'd this move.

Agree completely. I will personally welcome Foster back if he can still produce the goods. Some of us need to grow up I think!

I hate the huns as much as the next Dandy but Ricky's probably had next to no choice in the matter. He's a Dandy but he's maybe been convinced that he's doing the club long term good to fuck off for a season?

I will still politely say hello next time I see him shopping in Asda wi his Ma... I mean Maw.

Bizarre comparison. Stavrum was in a squad that had more than one recognised full back, and more than 5 defenders.

Really? Defenders who played with Stavrum:

Russell Anderson

Juan Cobian

Gary Smith

Michael Hart

John Inglis

David Lilley

Jamie McAllister

Phil McGuire

Kevin Rutkiewicz

Thomas Solberg

Derek Whyte

Ontop of this, the midfield that serviced Stavrum wasn't that hot either. Jess was sick of Skovdahl, Zerouali was temperamental, and Dow was on-form for one season only. Stavrum was a poacher. The majority of his goals were scored from within 6yards - but he did put away the majority of his chances. If Velicka is capable of something close to Stavrum's return, I'll be happy.

I'd love to see Velicka stay fit and get into double figures, of course.

But the issue is that by letting Foster go and bringing in a striker, we've let go an extremely versatile player and brought in a one-dimensional one, debatably weakening an already stretched squad. Obviously, the capture of the Montenegran lad offsets this slightly, but the point remains a valid one.

Where Stavrum comes in, I'm not sure.

I seem to remember a certain Arild Stavrum was only really of any use from about 6 yards out.

Yes, but we have a lot of strikers and one full back and potentially short in midfield.

I was making the point that as much as Velicka has a decent record as a striker he hasn't played much of late and only CAN play one position whereas Foster can play in midfield and as a full back. As I also said, I think this weakens the squad in general but if Velicka weighs in with a good few goals that will matter a lot less. 

Kirk Broadfoot limped off shortly before the break after failing to recover from an earlier knock and Ricky Foster made his first Rangers appearance after joining on loan from Aberdeen.

The versatile defender was caught cold when his tame headed clearance let Hasselbaink in on goal and McGregor was required to make a last-ditch save to deny the former PSV Eindhoven player.

Unlucky Agent Foster.