Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

New signings

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what did he say?

Wasn't impressed by Folly when I saw him against Dunfermline, but hey, just the one game, and he obviously has (or had) something given that Gordon Strachan paid biggish money for him at Southampton. Shame we didn't sign Ahmed - he looked a player! Vernon's goalscoring record is decent enough - let's hope he's the 15-20 goal a season man we desperately need. At least the squad's a bit bigger now!

Pretty much what we're all thinking!

Would rather have had Kay or Gillespie if we're signing strikers from Col U, but they have decent scoring records so would cost money. I know the name but can't place why maybe Cheltenham were offered him at some point?? I think Col U loaning him out and now releasing him would suggest he's a reasonable L2 striker but can't cut it at L1. Folly, at one point, was quite highly rated so hopefully he can add a bit of bite to the midfield. TBH I'd rather have a 25 year old Folly than a 33 year old Hendire.

He posted that about 5 minutes before the RedTV stuff went up with McGhee and Miller still talking about Williams and Basey offers/signings.

Certainly not talking like the budget was all used up.

not saying he's right but he's been spot on with certain other stuff way before it was confirmed. Talking point at least

So...

Aluko    Vernon    Pawlett

Hartley  Fyvie

Folly

Foster  Consi  Diamond  McArdle

Clangers

If so, things looking better. A left back would be ideal.

We need a left back to allow Foster to move to right back as from what I have seen of McArdle he is no right back.

Guest ally s

I think Foster will be used in a more attacking role this season.

Considine's played at left back before and was brutal.

I think Foster will be used in a more attacking role this season.

Considine's played at left back before and was brutal.

Agreed, Consi at Left Back, is not an option imo. We need a natural left back, otherwise, i'd rather have Foster there than Considine.

Consi in any position is not an option imo, but I suppose he's better than ifil.

It's a shame, because I thought he might turn into a solid player, but he doesn't look like he has it in him. Confidence seems to be completely shot everytime he plays and worringly short of awareness. Not exactly great attributes for a defender.

Consi in any position is not an option imo, but I suppose he's better than ifil.

Not a fan then?  I thought he did really well in the first half of last season.

I'd say Foster was a better left back than he is a right back but he seems to have forgotten that he used to hit some long range shots from time to time.

Dons must lend to spend with focus now on Basey

McGHEE’S ATTENTION SWITCHES TO DEFENDER AS INTEREST IN HENDRIE PETERS OUT

By Michael Gannon

Published: 30/07/2010

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee is focusing attention on signing defender Grant Basey, but he will have to allow some of his players to go out on loan if he is to continue the recruitment drive.

On Wednesday McGhee made Paul Hartley his sixth signing of a productive summer, which has ended his interest in former Aston Villa midfielder Lee Hendrie.

The Dons manager was keen on former Huddersfield full back Robbie Williams but the 25-year-old is off the radar after an initial offer from the Pittodrie club.

Released Charlton defender Basey is now the priority but a deal is unlikely to be done until the Dons return to Scotland and arrange for up to two players to go out on loan.

McGhee has not ruled out doing a deal for Aston Villa forward Jim Collins, who is available on a season’s loan, if the finances can be juggled. McGhee said: “Basey is a player I have been impressed with. He is young, has great technical ability and wants to come to Aberdeen.

“We are looking at what we can do. It might mean we have to let a couple go out on loan.

“If Collins is better than what we have already then I will consider him.”

It has been a summer of wheeling and dealing. Hartley followed Scott Vernon, Yoann Folly, Josh Magennis, Mark Howard and Rory McArdle to Pittodrie.

The financial black hole left by the collapse of the Setanta television deal 12 months ago made this year’s reconstruction of the squad even more difficult.

Aberdeen director of football Willie Miller said: “This has been one of the busiest summers I can remember and also the most difficult.

“The financial picture was, and still is, extremely challenging.

“It has been difficult getting in the number of players required of the right quality for the right price. There has been a lot of boxes which needed ticked but I am happy with the effort from everyone to get the squad to where it is now.”

The club’s youth system, which has produced first-team regulars such as Fraser Fyvie and Peter Pawlett, remains Miller’s pride and joy.

But he knew funds had to be made available for his manager to add experienced players such as former Celtic and Hearts midfielder Hartley.

He said: “Supporters will be excited by players such as Paul arriving but, for me, these young players coming through are every bit as exciting. The young players are great but you need experienced heads alongside them.

“When we looked at the squad at the end of last season there were gaping holes. Although we have had a young squad over the years it was getting too young.

“Paul is someone who is arriving with enormous pedigree. He will command respect and lead by example, which can only help the others. He is an allround package.”