Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

GRAND NATIONAL

Silver By Nature, was at 40s at the start of the year, is in now to 14s.  Not my tip I'd like to add, but a friend of a friend sort of thing. He told me about it in January and is supposedly having a very good year.

Was told the same. I think that came from the Herald.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Fella thanks and Tricky Trickster would be worth an early punt for next year, big fella will be 9 next year and Tricky 8.

good shout from daytripping there, sure BFT is in around the favourites this year.

Not had a look at the race at all yet, as if that makes any difference for a mug like me!

nice one, my each way worked out quite nicely and all. Just wish id had the courage to put a proper bet on bellabriggs. Ach well, a wins a win :)

Well you won more than me. I put £2 on Ballabriggs to win. I'm still pleased with that though as I know nothing about gambling or horse racing and only went for Ballabriggs through pure blind luck.

For the life of me I cannot understand horse racing. It almost seems cruel to me (which is an argument strengthened by the death of two participants at the weekend) and a certainly will never have any sort of care factor for horse racing.

For the life of me I cannot understand horse racing. It almost seems cruel to me (which is an argument strengthened by the death of two participants at the weekend) and a certainly will never have any sort of care factor for horse racing.

I never had any great affinity for it until I went to Ayr Races and it's fantastic "close up", you really begin to appreciate the speed and skill involved. They are fantastic creatures and it is a great shame that two died on Saturday (a jockey is in a very serious condition too apparently), but I would say that if the horses didn't want to race due to any cruelness then they just wouldn't race as they are far more powerful than the little guy or girl sitting on their back. A point perhaps shown by how many continue to race when their jockey has been unseated.

However, I think it is maybe time for them to look at the height of some of the jumps at the National and bring them down a bit.

1. Pick Horse

2. Place bet on where horse will finish race

3. And they're off!

I kent someone would pop up with a post like that!

I never had any great affinity for it until I went to Ayr Races and it's fantastic "close up", you really begin to appreciate the speed and skill involved. They are fantastic creatures and it is a great shame that two died on Saturday (a jockey is in a very serious condition too apparently), but I would say that if the horses didn't want to race due to any cruelness then they just wouldn't race as they are far more powerful than the little guy or girl sitting on their back. A point perhaps shown by how many continue to race when their jockey has been unseated.

However, I think it is maybe time for them to look at the height of some of the jumps at the National and bring them down a bit.

Aye I heard about the jockey too after I heard about the horses. In all honesty I have less sympathy for the jockey because they can appreciate and evaluate the risks. The horses are given less of a choice. I agree they're fantistic creatures. They've put up with so much shit from all man kind! From charging on the front line in conflicts to getting whipped relentlessly in races. Perhaps you're right, though, and I would appreciate it more if I'd seen it close up.

I completely agree with reducing the hight of the fences and I also think there should be harsher penalties for "excessive use of the whip".