Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

Pittodrie's Greatest Ever Game?

Aberdeen 2 Dundee United 1, which effectively relegated them.

I think that has to be the one for me, which I guess is kind of sad in a way. The build up to the game in town the night before was pretty special. I can't remember it being a classic but the fact that so much rested on this game meant the atmosphere was something special. A sort of collective shitting of one selfs and then a hugh collective sigh of relief when we saw it through. The conga round the United team bus, with one sullen Jim McLean sitting inside, capped it all off.

I think that has to be the one for me, which I guess is kind of sad in a way. The build up to the game in town the night before was pretty special. I can't remember it being a classic but the fact that so much rested on this game meant the atmosphere was something special. A sort of collective shitting of one selfs and then a hugh collective sigh of relief when we saw it through. The conga round the United team bus, with one sullen Jim McLean sitting inside, capped it all off.

Agreed Sharpie, wasn't a great game but the atmosphere was unbelievable. To this day, I've never seen the number of folk outside looking for tickets to any match at Pittodrie as I did that day.  there was some amount of boxing at the Broadhill after it as well.

Shearer's goal was an absolute peach.

Going back to that youth side; What a prospect Paul Wright was. Another who never fulfilled his potential. I remember he sort of broke in to the team and scored a few partnering Charlie Nic before London came calling for him. It never quite worked out for him after that. St. Johnstone fans hold him in high esteem but I can't help feeling he could have held a career at a higher level.

Going back to that youth side; What a prospect Paul Wright was. Another who never fulfilled his potential. I remember he sort of broke in to the team and scored a few partnering Charlie Nic before London came calling for him. It never quite worked out for him after that. St. Johnstone fans hold him in high esteem but I can't help feeling he could have held a career at a higher level.

Agree, thought Wright would have gone on to bigger and better things Sharpie.

As for that being the greatest game ever at Pittodrie......no fucking chance.

Apart from the obvious European games already mentioned against Bayern twice and Copenhagen, what about 1981 versus Bobby Robson's UEFA Cup Champions or the night in April 1983 of the semi final versus Waterschei when we scored twice in first four minutes.  :thumbsup:

I'd usually call Paul Wright for World Cuppy at school, can't remember why exactly. Maybe because my dad and granda took me to games and the other lads didn't get, so more often than not called the obvious ones.

I do remember my Dad making some comment about him going to England to get pished when I asked why he had left.

I'd struggle to think of a game better than Bayern 2-2 , certainly in terms of atmosphere. Scotland U21's - West Germay U21's was pretty good and certainly deserving of best ever come back.

I would go for the Bayern game, The Scotland game was also a very good game and good atmosphere. I was at the youth cup game and it was a good game from what I remember but to call it the greatest????