Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Latest from AFC

Pittodrie Director of Football Willie Miller admits to being 'pleasantly surprised' as to the extent of the interest shown in the manager's position vacated by the departure of Jimmy Calderwood nine days ago.

"It's been quite a lengthy task simply going through the dozens of applications that have appeared on my desk over the past week or so and, to be fair to anyone who has taken the trouble to apply, the club has been undertaking extensive background checks which has also understandably added to the timescale."

And there have been some fairly impressive CV's for Willie and the Board to mull over. "We've had applications from former international managers, former Scotland players, ex-international players from throughout Europe, people currently working in the Premiership, and applicants with UEFA Cup winners medals, and many have arrived from outwith the United Kingdom, including Holland, Poland and even the Faroe Islands.

"On top of that, there's been a considerable number of former Aberdeen players interested in returning and it's obvious just what a high regard they hold the Club in and what fond memories they have of their time here.

"The high quality of applicant only underlines the fact this is one of the top jobs in Scottish football and again I would emphasise that while we want to make an appointment as soon as possible, it is absolutely vital that we undertake all the due diligence required to ensure the appointment is the correct one for Aberdeen Football Club."

The Club has also announced that the players will report back for pre-season training on Monday 29th June with a pre-season tour to Austria pencilled in along with a possible Pittodrie friendly ahead of the opening Europa Cup match on Thursday 30th July.

The Dons meanwhile have released youngsters Chris Gallacher, Stephen O'Donnell and Ross Gibson. 

Let the speculation begin...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe that anyone doubts that Willie isn't doing a good job at the club and isn't worth the money he's paid.  Of course we all have the best intentions at heart for the club, no matter how ill-informed they maybe.  But whenever I read what Miller has to say about AFC and they way he wants the club to progress I can't help but feel he's fighting our corner and not purely doing it for the money.

He was afterall saying these things a long time before he was back working at Pittodrie.

C'mon Niall, you can do better than that :-*

Worth a try, sorry, right enough I am a bit young and canna really remember him, just remember that some if not all dandies get worked out when mentioned, I remember I got a week ban on the hat 2 seasons ago for saying that I was speaking to him and he was joining up with JC.

Worth a try, sorry, right enough I am a bit young and canna really remember him, just remember that some if not all dandies get worked out when mentioned, I remember I got a week ban on the hat 2 seasons ago for saying that I was speaking to him and he was joining up with JC.

The only thing I remember about Miller is my first ever game and losing 3-1 too Utd will Billys Dodds scoring a double. So I've hated him ever since.

Alex miller doesnt have the balls to come back to Aberdeen.

Stewart Milne isnt stupid enough to let him near pittodrie

Tis a pity yer too young to remember him Niall. You'd have seen a real fan protest that got the job done within 4 days instead of 3 months

Alex miller doesnt have the balls to come back to Aberdeen.

Stewart Milne isnt stupid enough to let him near pittodrie

Tis a pity yer too young to remember him Niall. You'd have seen a real fan protest that got the job done within 4 days instead of 3 months

Anyone can come back WM did remember plyoffs 1995

Nothing new here really, but elsewhere people are saying if we don't get McGhee it may be offered to Gary McAllister. I would not be happy with that at all.

ABERDEEN will sit tight in their hunt for a new manager - to see if Mark McGhee is offered to Celtic job.

Motherwell gaffer McGhee tops the Dons' wishlist but is also a contender for the vacant Parkhead hot seat.

It's understood Pittodrie chief executive Willie Miller is prepared to hold off on an appointment in the hope that his old team-mate doesn't get the Hoops job - although he won't wait for ever.

Miller - also believed to be keen on Falkirk's John Hughes - admits the club has been flooded with applications.

He said: "It's been a lengthy task going through the dozens of applications that have appeared on my desk.

"We've had applications from former international managers, ex-Scotland players, ex-international stars from around Europe and people working in the Premiership.

"There are also a considerable number of former Aberdeen players interested in returning.

"The high quality of applicant only underlines the fact this is one of the top jobs in Scottish football.

"While we want to make an appointment as soon as possible, it is absolutely vital that we undertake all the due diligence required to ensure the appointment is the correct one for Aberdeen."

Meanwhile, midfielder Gary McDonald has admitted the next manager will be under pressure to win trophies next season.

The club hasn't landed any silverware since the League Cup in 1995.

And McDonald, who gets married this weekend, said: "We hope it's a quick appointment.

"One of our aims is to get to a final. It is long overdue.

"We have to be looking to get to a final because of the sheer size of the club."

Nothing new here really, but elsewhere people are saying if we don't get McGhee it may be offered to Gary McAllister. I would not be happy with that at all.

McAllister is a better option than some of the other names being bandied about (e.g. Hughes), but I'd be hoping for somebody with a better track record than McGhee or McAllister.  I'm not sure we'll get one though...

McAllister is a better option than some of the other names being bandied about (e.g. Hughes), but I'd be hoping for somebody with a better track record than McGhee or McAllister.  I'm not sure we'll get one though...

Both Hughes and McAllister are no go's for me. 

This guy has also applied apparently

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Rennie

I'd say Hughes would be infinitely better than McAllister. I'm not sure what's worse not getting Wolves promoted with Hayward's millions or not getting Leeds promoted with the best squad in the division then drifting in midtable the following season. What Hughes lacks in identifying the right players (as proved this season) he makes up for in coaching what he has (as proved last season). McAllister obviously lacks both. I think the praise for Black from Cov fans comes from him doing much better than McAllister could with the same team.

And the cunt missed that penalty against the guffies in '96.

I'd rather have Ardilles than McAllister.

Is he a better option than Yogi, though?  Without doubt a great (and seemingly very intelligent) player, but like you say he hasn't exactly got a great track record as a manager.