Formula One

manc_don

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Button is having a fantastic race so far, some fantastic overtaking manoeuvres! Got to admit i'm warming to button a bit this season, he's always come across as a bit of a fraud, bags of potential without ever looking like he would realise it.  Goes to show what being in a fast car that suits his driving style can do for your season!

How McLaren arent getting investigated for the pitstop fire is beyond me though! Raikkonen must have been shitting himself, pulling out of his pitbox and the next thing he knows he's on fire!

Button is having a fantastic race so far, some fantastic overtaking manoeuvres! Got to admit i'm warming to button a bit this season, he's always come across as a bit of a fraud, bags of potential without ever looking like he would realise it.  Goes to show what being in a fast car that suits his driving style can do for your season!

How McLaren arent getting investigated for the pitstop fire is beyond me though! Raikkonen must have been shitting himself, pulling out of his pitbox and the next thing he knows he's on fire!

That was funny!

Guest leith_red

They were being investigated for it - not heard anything about it since.

It was a great race, plenty of overtaking for a change.

Genuinely very pleased for Button.  :thumbsup:

Does anyone else think his dad should be out robbing trains?

HAHA his dad seems like a proper dodger like, was a really good race, as you say, plenty of overtaking and I think the first 6 laps were the best 6 laps in ages, crashes and pit lane incidents.

New world champion Jenson Button has emerged as a contender to join Lewis Hamilton in what would be a mouth-watering line-up at McLaren in 2010.

The Englishman has yet to sign a new contract for Brawn and McLaren are interested having so far failed to secure first choice Kimi Raikkonen.

"We've talked to a number of drivers," said team boss Martin Whitmarsh.

"It wouldn't be appropriate to say more than that. We'll hire the two best drivers available as we always have."

He does seem a little unhappy in this article I read yesterday.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/motorsport/world-champion-button-gets-dirty-over-his-budget-deal-with-brawn/2009/10/22/1256147844691.html

World champion Button gets dirty over his budget deal with Brawn

IT GETS worse. Jenson Button flying budget airlines is not the half of it. Britain's new formula one world champion had to wash his own overalls between races, too. And when the bill went in to Brawn for settlement, the accounts department reportedly knocked it back.

The portrayal of a team moving forward together following Button's success contrasts sharply with the picture being painted by some behind the scenes. Morale among key members of staff, including Button, is said to be low. Negotiations over a new contract are at a standstill, casting doubts over Button's future with the team.

It is understood that the world champion has received offers from more than one grid rival. Button would prefer to stay at Brawn but will not remain on any terms.

Button took a pay cut estimated at 80 per cent for the privilege of racing in the car that took him to the world championship. He is understood to be disappointed by an offer only marginally higher and nowhere near the sum he was paid by his previous employers, Honda, thought to be about £10 million ($18m) a year.

Were Button's former salary to be restored, as he expected when the good times returned, it would still leave him some way behind the wages of the grid's top earners.

Button is not the only malcontent. A number of senior engineering staff are said to be upset over bonus arrangements. News of the discontent at Brawn has filtered down the pit lane, prompting rival teams, including Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari, to attempt to lure the brains behind the championship-winning car with job offers.

Speaking from Brazil, Brawn chief executive Nick Fry expressed his surprise at the developments.

''No one has said anything to me about this,'' Fry said. ''I am extremely surprised. We will look into any concerns that people have.''

About Button, Fry said: ''We will be sitting down with Jenson after Abu Dhabi to discuss his contract.''

The surprising success of Brawn this season has led to interest from prospective investors, with Mercedes, which supplied the engine this season, considering taking a majority stake in the team. A deal with a heavyweight sponsor has also been signed for next year, although its identity has yet to be revealed.

In the deal that saved the team from closure, struck with Honda in February little more than a fortnight before the season started, about £100m, sufficient for two seasons at a stretch, was left in the pot.

However, the emergence of Mercedes as a potential buyer and the signing of a significant sponsor have yet to loosen the purse strings.

Button and the staff know that without the work of Brawn and Fry during the dark months last winter, none of this would have been possible. But they ask that the work put in by them since is also recognised in cash.

At the very least, Button would like his laundry bills to be met.

• 2 weeks later...