Formula One

manc_don

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His replacement could be a certain driver by the name of Micheal Schumacher

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8172310.stm

I found F1 incredibly boring with Michael Schumacher, but obviously with Ferrari not being as strong as before I don't think he'd make much of an impact. Apparently the injury to his (Massa) eye could threaten his career.

I found F1 incredibly boring with Michael Schumacher, but obviously with Ferrari not being as strong as before I don't think he'd make much of an impact. Apparently the injury to his (Massa) eye could threaten his career.

Ehhh? Schumacher is probably one of the best things to have happened to F1 in recent history! 

The controversy that surrounded him, particularly with incidents with Damon Hill, Jaques Villeneuve, his confrontations with Coulthard was some of the only exciting moments to have happened in F1 in recent years. Schumacher racing in wet weather was something to behold too...

If its boring you are after then see: K. Raikonnen, M. Hakkinnen, L. Hamilton, D. Hill, J. Button.....zzzzzzzzzz

Ehhh? Schumacher is probably one of the best things to have happened to F1 in recent history! 

The controversy that surrounded him, particularly with incidents with Damon Hill, Jaques Villeneuve, his confrontations with Coulthard was some of the only exciting moments to have happened in F1 in recent years. Schumacher racing in wet weather was something to behold too...

If its boring you are after then see: K. Raikonnen, M. Hakkinnen, L. Hamilton, D. Hill, J. Button.....zzzzzzzzzz

I agree with the above, I loved the scraps with JV and DH, especially as the cheating German got found out.

But at the same time, he used to win almost every race and it was quite boring.

F1 has, in general, been boring for quite some time now though.

It's always been boring. Alot of people watch it for the drama (ie crashes) but then something like that happens to Massa then you feel bad! Not a huge fan of F1. I keep an eye on race winners and standings but couldn't sit and watch a whole Gran Prix.

I agree with the above, I loved the scraps with JV and DH, especially as the cheating German got found out.

But at the same time, he used to win almost every race and it was quite boring.

Those are my thoughts on the matter. As much as I loved the scraps, he won near enough every race, it just got boring.

But I disagree, I have found it quite interesting this year. Plenty of different winners and I think it will be only a matter of time before Button is overtaken. I also think my enjoyment is because its back on the BBC, I have a hatred for itv.

Plenty of different winners and I think it will be only a matter of time before Button is overtaken. I also think my enjoyment is because its back on the BBC, I have a hatred for itv.

Yeah that's fair enough, especially the bit about BBC and ITV.  The coverage has been superb.

I'm hoping Button holds on, but he's really up against it!

Yeah that's fair enough, especially the bit about BBC and ITV.  The coverage has been superb.

I'm hoping Button holds on, but he's really up against it!

As am I but it does look ominous for him. Though the teams gathering pace may well cut each others throats and if Barrichello keeps his aim he'll get rid of a few competitors.

Michael Schumacher will make a shock return to Formula 1 to replace injured Ferrari driver Felipe Massa.

The seven-time world champion, 40, retired at the end of 2006 but has agreed to drive at the European Grand Prix in Valencia on 23 August.

Massa fractured his skull in Hungarian GP qualifying and may be out for the rest of the year.

Schumacher, who is a Ferrari advisor, said: "For team loyalty reasons I can't ignore this unfortunate situation." "

His spokesman Sabine Kehm told the BBC on Tuesday that although Schumacher was not willing to make a full-time return to F1 he would not rule out standing in for Massa.

Now, the German racing legend has decided to come out of retirement and make a sensational return despite admitting: "It is true that the Formula 1 chapter has long been closed for me.

"The most important thing first: thank God, all news concerning Felipe is positive, and I wish him all the best again.

"This afternoon I met with team principal Stefano Domenicali and Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo and together we decided that I will prepare myself to take the place of Felipe.

"As the competitor I am, I also very much look forward to facing this challenge."

The German racing legend has not driven an F1 car since April 2008 and now has just over three weeks to prepare himself for Valencia.

The ban on in-season testing means Schumacher will not be able to turn a wheel of the 2009 specification Ferrari before first practice on Friday 21 August.

However, the team have chosen Schumacher ahead of test drivers Marc Gene and Luca Badoer to drive for Ferrari whilst Massa continues to recuperate.

"Ferrari intends to entrust Michael Schumacher with Felipe Massa's car for as long as the Brazilian driver is not able to race," a statement said.

"Michael Schumacher has shown his willingness and in the next few days he will undergo a specific programme of preparation at the end of which it will be possible to confirm his participation in the championship starting with the European Grand Prix."

Schumacher will undergo an intensive training programme to determine whether he is fit enough to return to the rigours of F1 racing.

Since retiring the German has occasionally taken part in motorcycle events but in February he suffered neck and back injuries in a bike accident.

Those injuries could affect his ability to drive an F1 car which places huge pressures on the neck because of the varying G-forces.

Massa has had surgery on a fractured skull sustained when a spring from Rubens Barrichello's Brawn hit him on the helmet when he was travelling at more than 160mph during qualifying in Hungary on Saturday.

The Brazilian is due to leave intensive care and is making progress, though there is also concern about damage to his left eye.

Schumacher is close to Massa, who was his team-mate in his final season, and has taken a close interest in the Brazilian's career.

BBC Radio 5 Live F1 commentator David Croft believes Schumacher is coming back because of his close relationship with the Brazilian.

"I think he's coming back because it is to replace Felipe Massa, temporarily. He is very close to Felipe, they've had a great relationship over the years," Croft told 5 Live.

"I think it's his way of doing something to help Felipe, and doing something to help Ferrari at the same time, because if you look at the alternatives Ferrari had, they weren't really alternatives.

"Who else is there who could come into Ferrari and hit the ground running, who knows the car, who knows the team, who could give them a podium?

"The European Grand Prix, which was not one we were looking forward to at the start of this year, has now got a real spice to it.

"Lewis Hamilton against Michael Schumacher for the first time ever? Jenson Button up against Michael Schumacher? How will Kimi Raikkonen respond? It's going to be fascinating."

Wow this should spice things up a bit!

Don't see what he has to gain from returning, but he's a legend and it will be interesting to see what he can get out of the Ferrari, especially after their recent improvement in form!

Typical idiot. He probably was the best of his generation but he was categorically a cheating cunt.

Aye he did push the boundries on more than one occasion but he was still a supremely talented driver.

Cheat or no cheat some of his drives were outstanding, and to dominate for so long proves his talent, even if some of his actions were way past questionable!

Because he was better than everyone you have to go down the Old firm approach and call him a cheat because you cannot accept that he and they are better than what you like.

Oh he was definitely better than the drivers he competed against, but you dont have to look hard for times that he went way beyond gamesmanship and outright cheated

Never is on here, just someone trying to be "out there" and "zaney" with posts along the lines of "I like dead girls, great sex" or "I used to do proper drugs when I was younger, now I am just a hash head, I am cool as fuck i am yet I was made unemployed" or "I'm hard as fuck yet I'll run from trouble" and then there are the posts fae your, Gayzer and Padre which are either pictures or puns.

A lot of unecessary stuff in there. Anyway back on topic.

I didn't like Ferrari when he drove for them, so I guess its back to the old way. But hopefully they'll still fail :) He had some outstanding drives, but at the end of the day was a cheat. I don't like it or condone it so I now hope even more than before that Button holds on to his top spot.

I also see that BMW are not going to be competing in F1 next season.

A lot of unecessary stuff in there. Anyway back on topic.

I didn't like Ferrari when he drove for them, so I guess its back to the old way. But hopefully they'll still fail :) He had some outstanding drives, but at the end of the day was a cheat. I don't like it or condone it so I now hope even more than before that Button holds on to his top spot.

I also see that BMW are not going to be competing in F1 next season.

Aye, another drops out. They did have very lofty hopes though and spunked a fortune at trying to achieve them. I don't reckon on them and Honda being the only ones.

Can't really see Schumacher being competitive but you never know.

:o

You were one of the only ones then.

As for minijc - either fishing or clueless.  Schumacher was clearly the best of his generation, but he was a dirty cheating German wanker!  :thumbsup:

Best of all time?  Nah, Fangio and Clark definitely better and you can throw Senna, Prost, Stewart into the mix as well.

Against Damon Hill? Gies a brek man!!  ;D

Don't think he was the best ever, not at all but certainly the best of his time, by some distance though had Senna still been about that may have been less certain.

I remember Schumacher had a drive with just 5th gear or summat for the last few laps and managed 2nd, or summat, it's a bit hazy but it's something like that, he was driving for Benetton at the time.

Delighted with this. He wasnt a 7 time world champion from luck. Was a class above the rest when he did it full time and is probably still a class above all the F1 drivers just now. Cant wait until Schu puts them back in their places. Already made a bet that he will finish higher than Hamilton in the next race with someone from work

You were one of the only ones then.

I disagree, i've always been a massive Schumacher fan, delighted he's back.

schumacher_shanghai.jpg

As for him being competitive, i'm not sure, if there ever was anyone who could get back in the car and without any testing ace it, it'd be him. Or maybe the Stig ;)

• 2 weeks later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8186319.stm

Seven-time Formula 1 champion Michael Schumacher has abandoned his comeback with Ferrari because of a neck injury.

The 40-year-old, who retired at the end of 2006, was set to deputise for the injured Felipe Massa at the European Grand Prix in Valencia on 23 August.

"Unfortunately we did not manage to get a grip on the pain in the neck which occurred after the private F1-day in Mugello," Schumacher told his website.

Schumacher suffered the neck injury in a bike accident in February.