Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

What Have You Been Watching on TV?

Kowalski

Agreed, couple of episodes to go and been pretty decent.

But "pretty decent" is hardly a worthwhile use of our time, sitting on our arse, not engaging the brain, allowing TV to wash all over our bodies, minds and souls.

Safe was one of those well-produced, well-acted "entertainment" productions that fell into the same basket as so many others.

Preposterous plots, parts of which are too incredible to be credible. The use of suspense rather than substance to keep us there and a massive feeling of let-down and "well that was a fucking waste of my life that I won't get back" when it finally, laboriously, reached a "conclusion".

TV for mugs.

But "pretty decent" is hardly a worthwhile use of our time, sitting on our arse, not engaging the brain, allowing TV to wash all over our bodies, minds and souls.

Safe was one of those well-produced, well-acted "entertainment" productions that fell into the same basket as so many others.

Preposterous plots, parts of which are too incredible to be credible. The use of suspense rather than substance to keep us there and a massive feeling of let-down and "well that was a fucking waste of my life that I won't get back" when it finally, laboriously, reached a "conclusion".

TV for mugs.

Watched the last few episodes the other night, you were right. Terrible ending, like they couldn't be arsed, or ran out of budget or something. Could have had a lot more depth to the whole thing. The "gated community" (not really relevant for most UK citizens), could have been used to far greater effect than just the "it exists, we'll use it later" approach to give a far more nuanced and thoughtful show as an example. I stand by my recommendation, as long as you never watch the last three episodes and never find out how it ends.

Watched Kiss Me First on all 4 last night, t'was good. Maybe not a lot of folk's thing, but I enjoyed it; as original as can be expected these days.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Watched the documentary "Kenny" about Kenny Dalglish which was on after the Champions League final the other night.  Fantastic watch, download it if you have never seen it before.

Too young to see him in his prime but vaguely remember him as player manager at Liverpool.

Never quite realised all of the history behind the man.  He went to the Ibrox disaster game as a fan, took on the Liverpool manager job one day after playing in the Heysel game then of course suffered through the Hilsborough tragedy.

Growing up as a Scot you always just get told how great he was as a footballer but now I have seen another side to him.  Just a lovely, lovely person.  Kind of makes you appreciate that fitba is only a game no matter how worked up we all get about it.

Watched the documentary "Kenny" about Kenny Dalglish which was on after the Champions League final the other night.  Fantastic watch, download it if you have never seen it before.

Too young to see him in his prime but vaguely remember him as player manager at Liverpool.

Never quite realised all of the history behind the man.  He went to the Ibrox disaster game as a fan, took on the Liverpool manager job one day after playing in the Heysel game then of course suffered through the Hilsborough tragedy.

Growing up as a Scot you always just get told how great he was as a footballer but now I have seen another side to him.  Just a lovely, lovely person.  Kind of makes you appreciate that fitba is only a game no matter how worked up we all get about it.

I was disappointed in that film. Didn't show enough footage - particularly in terms of Celtic and Scotland. 

The History Channel are having a football fortnight. A lot of new documentaries, a decent one on Italia 90 with Butcher, Paul Parker, Lineker, Toto Schillachi, Roger Milla and Lotthar Matthaus.

They are also showing One Night in Turin which I've recommended on here before. 

Watched a "Head to Head" programme last night which was Platini vs Zidane - Linker, Ryan Giggs, Matthaus and Jermaine Jenas  ??? debate who was the best player out the two.  There are others coming up - Maradona v Pele and Beckham v Bale  :-\

Just a lovely, lovely person.

Eh? Remind me not to engage you for team building and talent identification purposes.

Dalglish was and is socially awkward. Met him at the Dunhill Links and he was at our table for lunch. Even in that documentary he wasn't comfortable with his wife, sister and family. He's a fucking weirdo. Growth mindsets and Dalglish don't mix. His one dimensionalism means he can only truly relax in the company of great footballers. Lovely he ain't.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

I never suggested anything about Daglish's social skills and couldn't give a monkeys about them.  Someone being socially awkward does not make them a weirdo.

He's shown a lot of class in difficult circumstances and is obviously held in high regard for what he has done off the pitch, not just because he was a great player, that is my point.

Class is a quality not everyone possesses.

Jonathan Meades on Jargon. Get it watched, fuckin ace.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09xzsbp

For those of you who have watched the above, then you should move onto Skies over Scotland (link below) if you haven't already seen it. Despite the annoying voice of the presenter, talking to us like we're fucking idiots, it's a very interesting program. If you have not watched the above then you should probably consider giving up on life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09vk9qx/scotland-from-the-sky-series-1-episode-1

Scotland 78: A Love Story - I not long finished watching this and have to say I enjoyed it a lot. I was only four at the time and although I have some vague memories I have never been familiar with the team or the build up. 

The usual funny stories about guys going to Argentina to watch the games and how they got there. Some village I assume in the Highlands or West Coast digging a ditch to get a TV ariel to their village for the first time. There seemed to be a real belief and optimism that it was our cup to win and to be fair we didn't have that bad a squad, but I cannot get my head around us not doing any scouting on the opposition as we just assumed we would beat them  ;D

King Joey and Stuart Kennedy feature in the programme which was nice to see and I never realised Kennedy played, I always thought it was McGrain and Jardine as full back by that point.

Scotland 78: A Love Story - I not long finished watching this and have to say I enjoyed it a lot. I was only four at the time and although I have some vague memories I have never been familiar with the team or the build up. 

The usual funny stories about guys going to Argentina to watch the games and how they got there. Some village I assume in the Highlands or West Coast digging a ditch to get a TV ariel to their village for the first time. There seemed to be a real belief and optimism that it was our cup to win and to be fair we didn't have that bad a squad, but I cannot get my head around us not doing any scouting on the opposition as we just assumed we would beat them  ;D

King Joey and Stuart Kennedy feature in the programme which was nice to see and I never realised Kennedy played, I always thought it was McGrain and Jardine as full back by that point.

^^This. Excellent viewing.

McGrain was injured for that tournament otherwise he'd have played, bit bizarre the programme never mentioned it.

McGrain was injured for that tournament otherwise he'd have played, bit bizarre the programme never mentioned it.

It didn't really go into too much detail about the match squad, it was more about the hype and build up to the actual tournament and the disasters which hit them when they got to Argentina. It also focused a lot on Ally MacLeod and the treatment of both him and the players from the press.

For the record I never realised Derek Johnstone played for Scotland until last night, the things we learn.

It didn't really go into too much detail about the match squad, it was more about the hype and build up to the actual tournament and the disasters which hit them when they got to Argentina. It also focused a lot on Ally MacLeod and the treatment of both him and the players from the press.

For the record I never realised Derek Johnstone played for Scotland until last night, the things we learn.

Big fat DJ was actually a decent striker in those days. Always looked a bit on the hefty side even then though, perhaps explains why he always preferred to play at centre half (less running required).

I was 11 then just finishing primary 7. The hype was unbelieveable in the months leading up to the Finals. A year previous in the summer of '77 Scotland went on a 3 match tour of South America. Beat Chile 4-2, drew 1-1 with Argentina....if memory serves me right Willie Johnston got a red card and Argentina were awarded a ridiculously dubious late penalty by a dodgy ref allowing them to equalise.....then on to Brazil where we lost 2-0 in the Maracana but weren't disgraced.

Looking back on things I think the general consensus was that the World Cup came 12 months too late for that squad. A good few of the first picks were 30 or over by '78 ( bear in mind in those days where lots of players smoked and virtually everyone enjoyed a good drink, retirement often came aged 32-33) and they just didn't have the physical conditioning to cope in the Argentinian heat. McLeod still has to bear the brunt of the blame for the failure though. He never even bothered have anyone scout Peru or Iran. Had he done so he would have realised Peru were a damn sight better than anyone in the UK realised. And Iran, whilst fit and organised, were weak defensively. Doubt we will ever have a better chance again of doing well at a World Cup. That squad despite being a year past their peak definitely had the ability to have come 3rd or 4th.

I was 19

Bloody hell I was lucky with the time I was born.

The Dons were on the cusp of greatness and Scotland were going to win the World Cup.

Folk were walking, cycling, hopping backwards etc. to Argentina and the papers and TV were full of nothing else.

I watched the Peru game at the RGIT union at Schoolhill.

Talk about a lesson in humility.

Umpteen folk crammed into a room with a big (for the time) screen telly in the corner.

The national anthems brought gales of laughter as the camera went to the Peruvian players.

Old men waiting to be slaughtered.

The TV program left out the missed penalty but despite our early goal and a fair amount of swaggering we got gubbed.

Folk were ragin, thank god I couldn't find anyone Peruvian.

It wasn't their fault of course but it would have been their head I was kicking.

Calm retrospect shows you that major psychological forces were at work.

Mass hysteria, when whipped up can send men to war.

This time, thank god it was to watch a football match.

Lesson learned and learned well, I think you have to see it in action to really understand it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Recorded Rich Hall will watch it later.

Nice doc about Barry Davies last night. Certainly the top British football commentator that I can recall, someone that doesn’t attract the hate and ridicule the likes of Moore, Tyldesley & Motson got.

Recorded Rich Hall will watch it later.

Nice doc about Barry Davies last night. Certainly the top British football commentator that I can recall, someone that doesn’t attract the hate and ridicule the likes of Moore, Tyldesley & Motson got.

Always came across as a true gent and informed neutral, much like how Derek Rae come across imo.  What was that on, BBC?