Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Todays fitba

Cowdenbeath on the brink of exiting the league.
Along with Albion Rovers, Id always hoped for a scottish or league cup away tie at their ground just for the 'novelty'

In other news Dunfermline relegated to League 1.
Airdrie will play Queens Park for a place in the Championship.
Airdrie eventually beating Montrose 6-4 to go through 6-5 on aggregate. Montrose had been 2-0 up at half time.

Dumbarton relegated to League 2
Edinburgh City Vs Annan Athletic for a place in League 1

Edited by tom_widdows

8 hours ago, Jute said:

Man City just pumped the Saudi blood money laundering vehicle 5-0 to open 3 point gap and give them a 4 goal difference advantage.

Was wondering if they were playing themselves for a second. Then I remembered.

3 hours ago, manc_don said:

Was wondering if they were playing themselves for a second. Then I remembered.

Did think of pointing out City are the Dubai blood money laundering machine but assumed everyone knew. 

Hypothetical question obviously, but here goes.

How would you all react to the injection of "dirty" money into our club a la City or Newcastle Utd 

Would you protest, stop supporting the club or just suck it up and await the success it could bring ?

8 minutes ago, BigAl said:

How would you all react to the injection of "dirty" money into our club a la City or Newcastle Utd 

Would you protest, stop supporting the club or just suck it up and await the success it could bring ?

If it was Saudi/Russia blood money laundering then it’s probably protest and walk away for me. 

23 minutes ago, BigAl said:

The problem with that question is that it suggests there is a moral high ground when injecting large sums of cash from any source into a club to gain financial advantage. If Cormack and friends chucked in £20M of cash to AFC to buy 13 new players and increase the staff budget greatly beyond our turnover, would that be okay because the money was "clean"? The overwhelming majority of rich people got there through unscrupulous behaviour, leveraging power, and always at the expense of others, there are just varying degrees of what you deem to be acceptable. For example, if Stewart Milne used his power and influence to lobby the government to relax energy efficiency standards on housing, locking in years of waste (to the detriment and expense of the homeowner) into every single new build solely to benefit the bottom line of his business, then that would add up to a fairly significant unethical practice (I'm not saying he did, for the record, I have no idea - just a hypothetical). 

The point is that by supporting Scottish fitba (and fitba generally) in its current form, we already support the idea that sport is actually just a function of money, so wouldn't we be (aren't we) being a little hypocritical by putting arbitrary barriers on the type of individual supplying that money? British born billionaires for British people I say. Bloody foreigners.

As with all matters in life, opinions on this will differ.

You may potentially say that the morals and indeed scruples of the individual come into play when forming opinions.

Given I possess neither, let's get the cash in I say 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

The problem with that question is that it suggests there is a moral high ground when injecting large sums of cash from any source into a club to gain financial advantage. If Cormack and friends chucked in £20M of cash to AFC to buy 13 new players and increase the staff budget greatly beyond our turnover, would that be okay because the money was "clean"? The overwhelming majority of rich people got there through unscrupulous behaviour, leveraging power, and always at the expense of others, there are just varying degrees of what you deem to be acceptable. For example, if Stewart Milne used his power and influence to lobby the government to relax energy efficiency standards on housing, locking in years of waste (to the detriment and expense of the homeowner) into every single new build solely to benefit the bottom line of his business, then that would add up to a fairly significant unethical practice (I'm not saying he did, for the record, I have no idea - just a hypothetical). 

The point is that by supporting Scottish fitba (and fitba generally) in its current form, we already support the idea that sport is actually just a function of money, so wouldn't we be (aren't we) being a little hypocritical by putting arbitrary barriers on the type of individual supplying that money? British born billionaires for British people I say. Bloody foreigners.

Canna really compare Cormacks business dealings with yer Russian oligarchs/Saudi billionaire types can you? Do we assume Cormack probably built his business unscrupulously,....or does he get the benefit of the doubt,..might just have been a good business idea that was well managed and took off,.... as opposed to the Russian oligarch/Saudi billionaire types,mainly benefitting from being connected to the inner circles of oppresive regimes,and with no actual link to their clubs?

11 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Canna really compare Cormacks business dealings with yer Russian oligarchs/Saudi billionaire types can you? Do we assume Cormack probably built his business unscrupulously,....or does he get the benefit of the doubt,..might just have been a good business idea that was well managed and took off,.... as opposed to the Russian oligarch/Saudi billionaire types,mainly benefitting from being connected to the inner circles of oppresive regimes,and with no actual link to their clubs?  

I've no idea to be honest, but I can definitely compare them! Comparing isn't the same as conflating (something politicians and journalists struggle to get their heads round). There are very few millionaires who got there without being willing to do shite that others would be unwilling to, Cormack could be one of them (I'm guessing that his line of work would allow for that, although it can be fairly sleazy). The point though, was that it doesn't really matter in the end, because if you're advocating anyone buys otherwise unaffordable success via a rich benefactor then there's yer sporting integrity up in smoke right there. The murderous dictator aspect is just an addition to that, that sort of detracts from the real issue. 

8 hours ago, BigAl said:

Would you protest, stop supporting the club or just suck it up and await the success it could bring 

I would be appalled and raging and defo stop going to the games - is this likely to happen as I'm looking for a way out 😂

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Goldie03 said:

I would be appalled and raging and defo stop going to the games - is this likely to happen as I'm looking for a way out 😂

Would you change your mind if they offered to pay your bar bill ?

• Haha 1