Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪️🔴

Dons V Celtic

Aluko scouts for reward after helping to bring in full back

we are capable of ending our home drought against Hoops, says sone

By Paul Third

Published: 17/01/2009

DISCERNING EYE: Sone Aluko reckons the Dons have real asset in Javan Vidal. Kenny Elrick

More Pictures

Aberdeen attacker Sone Aluko joked that he deserves a finder’s fee for convincing Javan Vidal to join the Dons on loan.

Right back Vidal signed up at Pittodrie yesterday on loan from English billionaires Manchester City until the end of the season.

Aluko joked: “I’m going for the head scout job. Javan has a very good pedigree at England youth level. He is highly regarded by Manchester City. He is good on the ball and likes to get forward and has always done well in games I’ve played with him for England.

“I’ll let his football do the talking for him, but it was important we got another player in after losing Jared Hodgkiss and I’m sure Javan will do well.â€

Vidal goes straight into Jimmy Calderwood’s squad for tomorrow’s game against Celtic at Pittodrie and Aluko hopes a big atmosphere can lead to the Dons beating the SPL champions in Aberdeen for the first time since 2001.

Aluko added: “With the results we have achieved in the last six weeks, we are facing Celtic at the best possible time. I’d much rather face Celtic on the back of a run of victories.

“We feel we can give Celtic a good game on Sunday. We can beat any side if we play to our potential. It’s about time we beat them here. They were lucky to get away with a draw in the cup tie last season and we feel we are capable of ending our home drought against them.â€

Rangers also visit Pittodrie next week on league duty, but Aluko insists confidence is high in the Dons camp following recent results.

He said: “Our home form has been very good and we have come back from a goal down to win in midweek, so the players are buzzing in the dressing-room.

“We are back in fourth now and the aim is to open up a gap on the teams behind us.

“Our mentality has changed since going on a winning run. When you are winning every week your confidence soars and that has been the case for us in recent weeks.

“One of the reasons I came back up here was the Old Firm games.

“Their fixtures are the first ones I look for as the atmosphere in those games is fantastic.

“If results go our way and we are still in the same position or better, then there is no reason why we can’t kick on in the second half of the season.â€

The ticket office at Pittodrie will be open from 9am to 5pm today selling tickets for tomorrow’s match.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant get a ticket cos its less than two hours before kick off?!!......whats that about, do they expect me to get out of bed on a sunday?! whats the thinking behind this rule? im on the database, surely there shuldnt be a problem?

Really?

That's a load of shite, turning away fans like that is absurd.

Fucking wonderful, Aberdeen!!!  Was so raging when they equalised cos we sat back so much, but seeing them just go for it was absolutely brilliant. Well done Jimmy and the boys, fully deserved and I think showed that we are a fucking good team. Lovely balance about the side at the moment and Hertz and the Jutes can fuck off.  Third place, and after next week, hopefully chasing second.

COME ON YE REDS!!!!

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Blogs/John-Hartson/2009/01/That-was-unfair-on-Celtic/

What a bitter, bitter man Hartson really is. It sums up the mentality of teams like Celtic when things don't go their way. Hartson, Strachan, Lennon and Pendrey and the rest of your bitter little entourage in the media :

Get it right fucking round you.  ;D

Just back from a fantastic game, thought that we took a bit of time to settle in the first half but as we grew into the game we played some very good football. although it is a shame we couldn't have kept it tighter at the back immediately after scoring.  We did let Celtic boss large periods of the 2nd half by sitting far far too deep but there was always the feeling we could nick something on the break which was good!

I thought Calderwood set out his team very well today, when I heard Duff was playing on the left I feared the worst but as the game progressed it could be seen that he was on the left to help out with Mulgrew's defensive duties, he did have a tendency to drift into a more central position every so often but a goal and an assist on his return to the team cant really be faulted too much! :thumbsup: 

The ref did seem to have a bit of a shocker with his refusal to pull up several blatant fouls with brown especially meriting a card for persistent fouling, same old Celtic though...

MOTM for me was really close between diamond and Kerr, I thought both were fantastic today, although maybe diamonds 2 goals means he just edged it.  I really feel that in Kerr and Mcdonald we have the makings of our strongest central midfield partnership since Seve and Heikenen.

All in all a really entertaining game, up to 3rd in the league and extending our unbeaten run at home. bring on the rangers.......... :thumbsup:

EDIT:

Interviews now on BBC website.

Jimmy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7836452.stm

Zander: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7836484.stm

Strachan: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7836450.stm